Join a team running a 2 week English Camp in tropical Thailand.
The PoD Summer English Camp is an exciting way to help and encourage Thai children to learn and practice English. At the camps volunteers teach English in a fun and interactive way through games, sports, songs, art and other creative activities.
This is a structured 2 week volunteer project. Working with a team of other volunteers and PoD staff, your role will be to help run camps at 3 schools in rural Thailand. The camps are held in the Surat Thani province in South East Thailand near the town of Don Sak which is off the traditional tourist route. The schools love having volunteers run the PoD Summer English Camp since the local schools and communities rarely have the opportunity to meet native English speakers.
The Summer English Camp team will prepare and plan the activities while based in the city of Surat Thani in a hotel for the first 3 nights. The team will then stay in a tropical hotel and with a homestay family during the camps. Volunteers will spend a weekend on the tropical island of Koh Samui for a relaxing beach break between two of the camps. At the homestay volunteers stay with a local Thai family which is a unique and fun opportunity to see how rural Thai people live.
Teaching English in Thailand is an unforgettable experience as it allows you to improve the children's English skills while becoming fully immersed in the local community and experiencing an area of Thailand that few tourists get to see.
There are usually between 8-15 volunteers on this project.
Join a team of volunteers helping to increase the confidence of pupils speaking English in Southern Thailand. The annual camp helps to improve the speaking and listening skills which are important for employment in Thailand.
* Join a team of volunteers led by PoD UK staff
* Teach English to pupils through fun activities
* Experience real Thailand and explore the tropical island of Koh Samui
* Stay in a hotel, tropical resort and with a local homestay family
A native English teacher is really valuable, building student confidence and quickly improving speaking and listening skills. English is very important in Thailand, opening many job and education opportunities for those with a good command of the language.
2-4 Week, 1-2 Week
27th July 2014
You do not need any specific qualifications or experience to volunteer on this project.
Cost in US$:
- Language instruction
- Travel while in host country
- Pre-departure orientation/Training
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Written materials pre-departure
- Written materials abroad
Program Fees Include:
* A comprehensive information booklet and pre-departure support
* Travel advice and assistance
* Being met on arrival at Surat Thani
* Support for the English camps
* Thai language and culture training
* Lunch and transport on the camp days
* PoD polo shirt
* Local activities / visits
* 14 nights accommodation -
* Ongoing support, help and advice from our local team
- English Teaching
- Primary Education
- Youth Development
This Program is open to
Asian, Worldwide, Kiwi, South African, Australian, Canadian, European and American Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
in Groups of 8-12
Application Process Involves
- Phone/Video Interview
- Letters of Reference
- Written Application