Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Theater Volunteering in the Galapagos Islands

Galapagos trip

I had the most interesting and fun experiences of my life while on this trip. My main goal was to immerse myself into another culture in order to better understand the huge world around me which I feel was definitely accomplished. The best part about my discovery is that people are people no matter where the grow up. Before this trip I had an image of what people would be like in a poor country like Ecuador and my idea was no where close to the truth. It was especially shown with the kids there. I definitely felt like I saw my younger self and childhood friends in a lot of the children there. Also, although I am not fluent, my Spanish improved drastically while on the trip. My biggest complaint is that I was not able to teach art and was told to focus more on teaching English. My favorite aspect of the trip was becoming apart of the community and the flexibility that the administration gave us. Also you don't need buy a cell phone because no one uses it and it will be completely in Spanish. Also the are expensive.

Using Art to Teach

One of the best ways to learn new words and remember them was through art. For two weeks I spent my mornings learning as much Spanish as I could and every afternoon I taught 45 students using theater games and art projects. Things are very laid back in the islands so I could really develop my lesson plans any way I wanted to.
To have students start out not really wanting to pay attention, and to see them within a week seeing the same students come to class early and ask to sing the counting song, and bouncing out of their seats to tell you the vocabulary word and write it on the board, made me so incredibly proud of them! Absolutely an amazing experience!

I felt at home

The most positive aspect was that the program was pretty much a vacation fused with the opportunity to make a difference in a foreign country. Getting to lay on the beach and make friends with other volunteers who are from all around the world was an experience i would pay for again.

The only negativity came from planning the English and theatre classes. Even then, it was a necessary stress that was not too bothersome.

Teaching theatre review

Given that I was the first ever theatre volunteer, it went very well, aside from the confusion by the school at the beginning. Could be a bit tighter in communication bu overall a fantastic experience