Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Theater Volunteering in Kenya

A wonderful Experience

My experience volunteering in Kenya was nothing less than insightful. I was deeply immersed in the Kenyan environment, lifestyle, and culture touring and working in Kenya as if I were a native. The groups we taught and worked with in Nairobi were receptive, attentive and a lot of fun to work with. I hope to go back very soon!

Such a positive and eye-opening experience

I felt I played a role in developing the group in different ways to which they were used too. Teaching them different ways of approaching theatre and giving them some more structure and support. We started shows which was a positive development even though they weren't finished by the end of my placement but this didn't matter. We did follow a routine but some days we decided to take time out to discuss issues surrounding the work we were doing and also the group and rules, regulation and why VOCAL exists to enforce responsibility.

I didn't get as much time with the schools project as I would have liked to but it was such a positive and eye opening experience in just seeing how the original VOCAL members conducted themselves with the children programmes.

Theatre Abroad in Kenya

Performing Arts Abroad (PAA) is disconnected from what is actually happening in Nairobi with the VOCAL program. PAA misinformed me as to where I was staying and who I was staying with, and I didn't find any of this out until I landed in the airport. Because of the housing mishap I also didn't have internet, which I was promised