Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Music Volunteering in Ecuador

My family was awesome.

I Loved Bonding with my coworkers. Music really is the universal language. Their English was bad, and my Spanish was bad, but we all spoke Pink Floyd so sometimes when we had down time we would just play/sing Pink Floyd. Every weekend, the other girls in EcuaExplorer went on a trip so it was awesome to see outside of Quito. And of course, SINAMUNE. It's a truly incredible organization unparalleled by anything I've come across in The States. Some of these people can't even talk, but they can play the maracas, or they can dance. Seeing how much fun the students had every day doing tasks that we in The States take for granted or stress out about was really rewarding.

My host family was really welcoming, and I made really good friends with my coworkers at my program. They would take me to places around work or tell me what was going on that weekend, so that helped. Going out with the other girls in the program every weekend helped too because we got to meet a lot of locals that way. Taking the bus alone every day was a really big part of me feeling integrated into the culture.

Five Fun Weeks

Ecuador was such an incredible experience. The culture is so fun and welcoming; I always met new friends. I loved volunteering at the school and seeing how much fun the students had with music. It was truly amazing to see how positively music can affect people, and it was refreshing to work with such an enthusiastic bunch of wonderful people.