Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Music Training in Ghana

I wish I had A longer experience and more time to go in depth with my studies.

I learned how to embody another culture and how I can incorporate this experience in my own teachings back home.

I Love My Ghana Family!

It was great being able to roll out of bed, go into the house for breakfast and then walk out the door and sit down for my lessons! everything felt so interconnected and woven together that it was just as much of a cultural immersion stay as a music school.

In the beginning it was hard being the only student- the only one feeling slightly out of place/ not knowing what was being said in Dagara, no one to go on excursions with so I had to for the first few weeks have a family member or teacher take me around to places like Accra or Cape Coast. However, being the only one gave me the time to get immensely close to the family, to spend evenings listening to music or watching cheesy Ghanaian tv shows or to just go to my room and relax (and eat cookies I found in a local merchants stall) by myself. I am used to living with other people. I am an extrovert yet when the whole family is rambling off in Dagara and I only know a few words it was sometimes easier to just let them ramble off then expect a translation for everything.

By the end of my stay I really felt like a part of the family and was eating all my meals except breakfast with the family (they serve meals to students separately from the family in a dining room) you are more then welcome to go eat with the family but I think they assume that Americans don't like eating outside or without silverware/ that is where Bernard eats so why shouldn't we? I'm not sure what the line of logic is but sometimes it was really nice eating by myself in the peace and quiet for breakfast while reading my bible and sometimes it was wonderful to eat my rice balls and peanut butter soup in the company of my family. By the time I left, Rita was calling me her ""baby"" and just about everyone was crying that I was leaving and expecting me to come back home soon. I don't think that would have been as deep of a connection if I had been one of many students but I also would have had more people to go on adventures with and wouldn't have felt awkward """"burdening"""" my teachers with going with me to places. They didn't make me feel bad for taking them with me to Accra or to Cape Coast but I still felt awkward/ helpless having to be escorted places. By the last week I was taking trotros by myself and going to Accra by myself and I hope to be a braver single traveler next time but am happy for the assistance and support I had at the beginning :)