Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Music Internship in South Africa

You're doing great!

Go into this program with zero expectations-no matter how much you read about South Africa, or think you know it's people, you don't. Just allow yourself to be open to a beautiful experience.

South Africa Review

Overall it was an experience that I gained a lot from. The opportunity to be a part of CMDA for three weeks and to experience what the average day of work at a music academy is like was great. However, there were a few aspects that I feel could have been improved. The location of the internship (Mpumalanga, White River, Nelspruit), and CMDA, might not have been the best location in regards to social life and cultural immersion. Since I was the only intern, I can not say that I made friends that were on the same boat as me; people that had the itch to explore the city and socialize etc. The house that I stayed at was very beautiful and Mike and his family were incredibly hospitable and made sure to make me feel at home. However, for an intern in a new country, the location of the house wasn't the best. I struggled to get out and about my first week there because access to transportation was very hard. I ended up finding a driver that had to pay to get me around. Also, after eventually gaining access to transportation, there wasn't really any where to go. A typical day meant the internship and then returning home and spending the night there, or possibly watching a movie alone at the movie theatre. On another topic, at CMDA, it felt as if there wasn't really a set in stone plan for what my work was supposed to be. I spent a good amount of time sitting on the computer and not doing much, and the first few days there was nothing for me to do. And when I was given work, it was because I had to continuously ask for direction. Overall, it was a great experience and I would defiantly recommend it to someone else.

It would have been nice to know more.

I learned how to take things as they come. As Africa has a very different way of doing things, I had to learn to exercise my patience fully and enjoy the experience for what it was.

Being in the townships and listening to their music was a great way to be integrated. Church was also a good way to see this culture. Braais were also very nice to experience what natives participate in doing.

Performing Arts Abroad South Africa internship

My time in South Africa was overall a very positive and eye-opening experience. During my time there, I was able to visit the local townships and experience what it is like to live under extreme racial tensions. I was able to share my musical knowledge with the local people there and was also able to become culturally integrated into society. I learned a lot about the local culture there and would definitely encourage future students to pursue this opportunity.