Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Dance Volunteering in the Galapagos Islands

I had an amazing time and got different things out of it than I expected to.

The most important thing I learned from my volunteering experience was how beneficial it is to students to take the time and try to relate to them in some way. I think creativity and positivity is important to encourage in children as the older they get, often the less comfortable them become with new things. The dance classes were a good insight into their personalities.

I also learnt a lot about the way of life on the Island which I found very interesting. Other important aspects of my experience include meeting new people, living in another location for a month and learning about a completely different way of life, having a completely new experience, and teaching and spending time with the kids.

Both Kate and William were very nice and always available to talk if ever I had a question. Throughout my volunteering I don't believe William was ever that aware of what my role at the school was therefore minimal explanation was given to me and I felt a bit thrown in the deep end (which I actually didn't have a problem with initially but as time past got a harder). This also meant if I had a more specific question for him in regards to teaching he didn't really have a helpful answer. In saying this his door was always open and he is a great guy.

I would or would not recommend the programme depending on what the person wanted out of volunteering experience. I had an amazing time and got different things out of it than I expected to.

Galápagos Dance Instructor Volunteer

Overall this volunteer experience was fun and gave me plenty of time for independent travel. I felt the program was a bit unorganized in the placement and schedules. However, the administration was helpful in weekend and afternoon travel plans. They had great suggestions on where to stay and how to find the best and cheaper tours. The children I taught were sweet and I do feel I made a difference their summer camp experience.