Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

PAA dance internship in Spain

Overall the trip was amazing and I received a very integrated experience. I do believe the placing of me in a studio could have been better in regards to my personal interests. Other students did not have this problem and were placed in good places but I feel mine was really disconnected from my interested and even my submission video.

Dance internship in Spain

This experience has been one of the best things of my life. This was my first time away from my family living on my own as I didn't go to a 4 year college. It has been so enlightening finding out who I am as a person and seeing how I handle situations on my own. I would recommend this program to everyone. You meet so many great people, I have made friends I know will be in my life forever. I also learned a lot being in the internship I was placed in. I got to see the difference of studios in Spain than in the U.S.

Dance Internship in Spain

The dance internship in Spain was excellent, I had exposure to the dance scene in Barcelona where I got to perform in a show and work with the professionals of the industry. My colleagues were very welcoming, and I was pushed to challenge myself beyond in terms of dance creation and performance. I had the honor of working with a director from Madrid, Alberto Velasco who taught me how to create in dance theatre. This opportunity pushed me to a new level of working as an international artist and inspired me to create new work.

D

This was a life-changing experience. I grew more as an individual, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. Over the duration of this experience, I rediscovered my passion for dance. I also enhanced my interest in traveling and discovering the world. This experience has broadened my possibilities in life and has undoubtedly changed me.

Summer of a lifetime!

My experience doing a Performing Arts Abroad dance internship in Barcelona, Spain was unforgettable. Through my internship placement at a local dance studio, I gained valuable teaching experience in a second language, built strong local connections, and took classes from a wide variety of professional instructors. Doing a homestay gave me a deeper immersion into the local culture and language. My Spanish improved immensely, and I even learned some Català! I had a lot of free time to explore the city of Barcelona, as well as make a trip to Morocco. Barcelona is an incredible city, that offers something for everyone. Fascinating museums, gorgeous architecture, vibrant arts and culture, narrow streets that are always alive, an excellent public transportation system that gives you free reign to explore the entire city, and of course, the beach. It is a magical place to be in the summer. I strongly recommend the Performing Arts Abroad program in Barcelona!

Comfortable and awesome!

I learned so much about myself! Met many different people from all around the world and were able to still connect with them on a personal level. Could do so many different things in a day, so being bored should never be an option! The internship was okay. I heard the same thing from other internees. But I still learned a lot about myself and my interest through the internship.

I would do it again in the future

The staff went above and beyond my expectations. My questions were answered rapidly and completely with a kind manner. I felt confident going abroad because PAA covered more information in the pre-departure guide then I could think up. It is evident that the staff has plenty of experience traveling abroad to make an effective pre-departure guide.

I felt so comfortable and at home in the dance school I was working in, that i ended up spending 80% of my time there. Apart from working, I took as many classes as I could get my hands on. Because I was so welcomed, I got to know many Barcelona locals, we hung out and I had the opportunity learn about their beloved city.

The only thing that could have made my placement better would have been more experience, but I had to start somewhere, and it was a great kick start. I successfully connected with my program and expect to work with them in the future.

Dance Internship - Barcelona

I couldn't be happier with my experiences! They challenged me to learn more about the professional dance world in Barcelona as well as more about the culture of the city and the region. I was also able to learn more about how I work and how I handle a new culture. I was able to accomplish what I wanted in this internship, which I later realized is what I needed for my own personal growth at that time.

Dance Internship With Performing Arts Abroad

I would not change a thing about my experience with PAA. I was able to do all of the things I love in an all-encompassing internship program. I will always cherish the relationships that I built with my host family, roommates, peers, and the PAA staff, and I will continue to use the cultural knowledge that I gained in Spain for the rest of my life!

I was able to do what I love in another place!

My host mother was really stingy about buying us food and rather careless about feeding us. Sometimes she forgot or didn't feel like going to the store so we barely have anything to eat. I think she's really cheap and trying to get the most out of the money she makes for hosting us. She mostly went to the store and bought us frozen dinners. She made complaints about how much food we were eating, even though she did not feed us much. Honestly, she had no interest in providing us with the experience in living in a Spanish home, but rather in it for the money. I guarantee she did not spend half the money she as given to feed us. Also, We were only allowed to do laundry once a week, which is fine, except all 3 of us have to share one load. She won't let us wash our beach towels because she says they were dirty and didn't want them in the washer. She said we need to go buy new ones (because we are made of money) or wash them at the beach. She is a very nice person, but like I said only cares about the money. I would NOT recommend having future students stay with her.

The first two weeks I worked in administration, but they really did not have anything for me to do. It would have been nice if the in-country staff had communicated with me and the internship to figure out something to do that would be more productive to my time. Like working less the first 2 weeks and adding hours on when I was working in the camp.

Made new friends, learned the flamenco, ate a wonderful cuisine, and got immersed in the culture!

PAA overall is a wonderful company offering great opportunities for students wishing to experience work abroad in so many countries. However, my experience with the BSAE in country Staff was not ideal and productive in my internship experience.

I wish I knew more of Catalan

I did not have any challenges--- it was all extremely positive. We were pushed as far as learning the language more rapidly to communicate with the family, but this was so helpful. The food was incredible, and the family was so incredibly kind, funny, helpful, and gracious. We felt very cared-for and loved.

I enjoyed and valued every moment I spent in the studio dancing. I really developed as a dancer and as a person in that time.

I wish I had known more Catalan, because that was spoken WAY more often in the streets than Castellano."

Internship abroad experience

I really enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone and exploring a whole different way of living. I got to do something I love in another country and immersed myself into seeing how dance is done in another country. I am really happy that I got this opportunity!

Barcelona Dance Internship with PAA 2015 Summer

While the internship was not what I expected, I still had a great time, made friends, got to practice my Spanish and got to see a different part of the world. Some issues with health insurance........

Remaining open minded and embracing new people, ideas, and concepts

I felt like I fit in pretty well in Barcelona. It's a very artistic, laid back, vibrant, fun, loving, interesting place. I really enjoyed living there, and I'm now bit with the traveling bug, and look forward to my next big adventure.

Dance Internship in Spain

I had a great time during my internship in Barcelona, Spain. Upon arrival, I learned that the agency I had obtained the internship through was not exactly who I would be working with onsite. Though the staff of the company in Barcelona was great and helpful, I did run into a few bumps with housing issues and details of my internship placement. All of my problems ended up getting solved, but I think that the novelty of this program caused solutions to take longer than most would expect. I viewed my issues as helping the onsite Barcelona staff learn for the next interns that came along. I would recommend this program to students looking to learn about another city and culture.