Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Circus Arts (Dance) Volunteering in Costa Rica

PAA

I had an awesome experience. There were a few mishaps at times but they were easy to hurdle over. I always felt safe and felt like I was able to be independent. San Jose did not have much of a social offering but it is nice for those who like to take walks.

I had one of the most experiences in Costa Rica! It can possibly take you 2 to 3 weeks to get use to it, after it you just wish you can stay longer and longer! I would advise this program to anyone really, even those who think they are not skilled enough to teach. The volunteers make you feel very welcomed and part of team straight away, you feel fully supported and active everyday. It was a honor to me in schools, foster carers and local centers teaching children and teenagers circus techniques but the best of it is what they teach you and offer you. Lovely, caring and drivers I made beautiful connections with these kids.

There is so much more to be said...
The weather, culture and nature of Costa Rica is irreplaceable, Costa Rican are very peaceful and 'pura vida' people, they share their warmth and caring to you, it makes you feel very special.
The host families were very generous to me and at times I really felt at home. Although in San Isidro, the second town I went and stayed for 3 weeks, there was a few issues as no internet at all in the house, the house was quite unclean when I first came in, and the food was very much repetitive during the 3 weeks. Nevertheless the host mother is lovely and she cares for you a lot.

I absolutely loved the experience and I am willing to get back to Costa Rica soon!!!

I was pleasantly surprised by how awesome and welcoming their culture was, for the most part.

I learnt a lot about language acquisition through being immersed in Spanish, trying to communicate, learn and teach in a foreign language. This is going to be extremely valuable to be as a future ESL and FSL teacher. I also learnt how much educational value circus skills have. I couldn't help but notice how much more motivated Costa Rican children are than many of the North American children I've worked with.