Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Arts Administration Internship in Florence, Italy

Spring-Summer experience

In general terms the experience was amazing and I think I got the best internship placement for my goals; even when my activities in the internship weren't very "definded", that actually allowed me to do and learn a little of everything.
From PAA the program was very well administrated, though there were a few insignificant issues from FUA: (When I got there I was told I was going to do 6 weeks and then change to another internship placement, but that never happened. And when their summer programs started, they "forgot" I was there, so we had an extra person in the appartment. We could figure everything out, but still).
The living situation was fine, though I would consider not sending people with "serious" learning desire when the summer program is happening, since the college students going for the summer have different goals and attitude towards the programs. I could really see a difference in the general "abroad" people from the spring students/interns to the summer ones.
My Cultural Immersion was mostly because I decided to go out by myself and speak only Italian in the streets; my roomates weren't interested in that side of the "abroad" experience, and unfortunately my schedule didn't allow to go to the cultural and "meeting italians" activites held by FUA. Social Life again was mostly with my roomates, since I only had on class (Italian), and my internship placement didn't have many people, less around my age.
Florence is a really safe place. It's virtually impossible to get lost, since you can always find some reference point. I would say to never walk alone by night, but that's for everywhere. From the very few times I was outside past midnight, I would say it's a very calm city.
In general, I had a wonderful experience, with very few and insignificant "down sides", which actually I think were from the FUA administration. But even so, I would like to say that the people from FUA were always nice to me, apologizing for the issues and thanking any kind of help I would give.

Nothing could have made it better!

The most important thing I learned was probably how network. I spent a lot of time trying to find important writers, bloggers, actors, etc. to invite to the shows,in order to help further promote the studio and spread the word about the shows. I had to talk to a lot of different people I had never met before and essentially ask for favors. This taught me a lot about persuasive communication and overall marketing and networking.

I believe PAA deserves a perfect rating for a recommendation and satisfaction.

Though this may sound like a negative comment, I mean it in the most positive way and that is that I am not meant for an office job. I found out a lot about myself during my internship abroad. That includes what sort of work I enjoy and don't enjoy. I think both are valuable things to learn about oneself. I learned that I do not enjoy sitting at a computer all day and that I really enjoy when I get to work and collaborate with other people. My work was very solitary but when I would get a project to interact and work with others, I would jump at the opportunity.

I loved it so much!

I learned patience and the value in cultural enrichment for the community. It would be great for interns to try and speak the language no matter how little you may know.

My experience was great!

I lived in a very nice apartment. Very big for Italy. It was a triple but there was only two of us. My roommate was a girl from US. The challenges were reading everything in Italian to work the dishwasher and washing machine for example. My roommate liked to stay out a lot and that was frustrating sometimes.

I was 99% satisfied with the program. Every aspect of the program. The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that I did not get to dance the last week I was there. My program stated it was a 6 week internship, not five. If I would have known this before hand I could have made plans too come home sooner and/or budgeted better so I could travel.

Incredible Experience!

The internship helped a lot. I felt like I was part of a family while I was there. Validating myself as a singer and person. It was such an incredible experience to hear people appreciate me as a singer, and to be able to help in the community in a foreign country.

Positive Outlook on trying out new things.

I'm from Canada. I did lots of research prior to the trip and felt well equipped. I wish however that I had known more about the company I was working with.

Love what you do, be inspired by the little things.

I had one female roommate from new york. I loved her. However we were in a small, low quality apartment with no air-conditioning. Most of our friends were in large spacious apartments with many other people.

I worked with Simona Bucci's dance company. I sat in on her choreography sessions. i also worked with the director of organization to promote a performance. I assisted in the organizational and artistic aspects of the performance. My placement could not have been better."

I definitely recommend PAA

My problems with my first internship made my experience not perfect. However I realized that this was a personal thing out of the control of PAA and do not blame them at all so I would definitely recommend PAA to a friend.

I met great people and got to live in Italy for 2.5 months.

I really wanted to act and even though my internship ended up being a positive one it was not what I originally wanted to do.

Florence internship review

A nice three weeks in Italy - good balance between learning/studying and getting a chance to see the city. Very lucky with accommodation as well, located right in the heart of the city and right by the river.

An Italian adventure

I spent the last 6 weeks completing a dance administration internship in Florence, Italy. Florence was such an incredible city and had so much more to offer than I ever expected. I made some incredible friends and visited so many amazing places - I have no idea how the time managed to pass so quickly.

Once of a lifetime experience!

It was amazing!! I was part of Performing Arts Abroad for summer internship in Florence. Everything from start to finish was perfectly organized and thoughtout. The staff were very helpful and friendly and always there for me when I needed them.

I feel lucky I got to live, study and work in Florence and absolutely recommend this program to anyone looking to grow personally and professionally!

My internship was a disaster.

I only had to write emails. I was very disappointed because i thought that my internship would be more challenging and exciting. I did not have a language problem therefore i was able to communicate with the people from my internship. But they did not care about me and they did not have an idea what they should do with me! As I was working in a dance center and helped promoting a dance festival I thought it would have been more artistic. Before I came to Italy they told me that it would be completely different.

I learned to adapt.

I learned how to adapt as an artist. In theatre, you never know what you're going to be doing or what's going to come at you next. It was difficult at first to adjust to a cast who I could barely communicate with initially, but I learned to adapt and learn from them in different ways and find new ways to communicate.

I learned how to persevere on long days- publicity all day and then concerts at night.

I really enjoyed the pre-departure guide PAA sent. It was very accurate and helped me with my preparations and it was also useful while I was in Italy.

One thing I wish that I had known was how much I needed to practice Italian. I feel like I would have had a better experience in Italy and at my internship if I had been more proficient in Italian. This wasn't really emphasized at any point by PAA, and I think it should be more widely known.

Since I wasn't very proficient in Italian, it was hard for the orchestra to place me somewhere. I felt like they were already fine without an intern, and so they had a hard time putting me somewhere because they had filled every job they had. I usually ended up doing publicity, which consisted of sitting at a table with flyers for the program. While it was good because they liked having someone who could talk to the tourists in English, it didn't really show me how the orchestra worked.

During the concerts I helped manage the crowds/spoke English to tourists. I also helped set up or sell tickets sometimes. For the most part they didn't really involve me when it wasn't necessary because there wasn't much for me to do.

I loved where I worked- even though my work wasn't exactly productive/meaningful, I met some really amazing people that helped me connect with Italian culture and learn about life in an orchestra.