Worldwide Volunteering: Award-Winning and Responsible
Cambodia: Siem Reap
Gambia: Rural Areas
Madagascar: Fort Dauphin
Morocco: Rural Areas
Mozambique: Rural Areas
Nepal: Pokhara, Rural Areas
Peru: Manu National Park, Rural Areas
South Africa: Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth, Rural Areas
Swaziland: Rural Areas
2-4 Weeks, 5-8 Weeks, 9-12 Weeks, 3-6 Months
year round & ongoing
* Formal qualifications are not essential
Cost in US$:
c.1900 - for 4 wks, depending on project
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Pre-departure orientation/Training
- Registration fees
- Written materials abroad
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
* Each project is costed individually - there are real costs involved, and as a responsible organisation, we believe that it's wrong to expect economically poor communities to subsidise volunteers in any way.
* Many volunteer recruitment organisations demand that communities subsidise volunteers because 'after all, you're getting their time for free.'
* This is unacceptable to us.
* Providing volunteers with what they need costs money - a safe environment, 24-hour emergency contacts, a place to stay, food to eat, tools or equipment to complete their roles - all this has to be paid for.
* Neither people and places nor the projects themselves are funded through government or a big NGO. Without volunteers being self-funding, the projects themselves would simply not exist.
* People and places commits to economic clarity - at least 80% of your money is paid to the host country, adn stays there!
The true benefits are benefits in kind for volunteers and projects - mutual gains and mutual benefits through sharing work and lives.
- Because of the holistic way we work with entire communities, all kinds of skills and experience can be of use - professional or paractical, life skills ...
We match each volunteer's skills and abilities to the specific needs of each project.
- Building & Construction Projects
- Childcare & Children
- Community Centers
- Community Development
- Computer Training
- Disability Issues
- Economic Development
- Grassroots Organization
- Health Care
- Health Education
- Historic Preservation
- Public Health
- Senior Citizens
- Small Business Development
- Social Work
- Tree Planting
- Youth Development
While we acknowledge and welcome the individuality of each volunteer, there are some general approcahes to volunteer placements which will help volunteers to have the best possible experience: * You will need to be flexible and adaptable * Non-judgemental * Observant * Willing to listen and learn * Communicative * Pro-active * Think on your feet * A team player... You will be helped by a healthy dose of stamina and a sense of humor!
individuals must have reached the age of majority
This Program is open to
American, Asian, Australian, Canadian, European, Kiwi, South African and Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
- Group living
- Guest House
Typically Participants Work
Scholarships are Available
There are some bursaries / scholarships available for appropriate voluntreers in some of the projects we work with in India, Peru.
Application Process Involves
- Disciplinary Clearance Form
- In-Person Interview when Feasible
- Letters of Reference
- Online Application
- Phone/Video Interview
- Physical Exam/Health Records
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad
- Re-Entry Debriefing at Home