Para La Tierra Header Image Para La Tierra Header Image

Conservation Volunteer

A truly memorable experience!

This year I spent three months with Para La Tierra as a volunteer. In my spare time in the UK I am an ornithologist who passed through Laguna Blanca in 2012 whilst on a birding tour with Fauna Paraguay. The time I spent in the picturesque surroundings of Laguna Blanca I can only describe as one of the best experiences I have had in my many years on planet earth. I learnt how to apply scientific methods to bird studies. I assisted with fish, monkey, insect, butterfly and moth projects. There was an amazing family atmosphere at the reserve. The Staff were always approachable and assisted with all aspects of project work and living on a remote reserve. I have made many friends with whom I still keep in touch with on a daily basis. My experience has had such a positive impact on me I have booked flights to return as a volunteer next year!

An awesome experience

I was with PLT for three months as an intern studying the bats present on the reserve. I had an amazing time wandering around the forests, swimming in the lagoon and hanging out with other vollies from all around the world. I would highly recommend to any one wanting to spend some time with some serious wildlife or just helping a really worthwhile organisation.

Conservation Volunteer

My time at PLT was incredible!! I experienced things I never thought I could. The people were amazing and the place itself is spectacular. The lake is so great to go for a dip in to cool off from a hard day working in the forest. The three habitats they have allows for a wide range of conservation work. I learned so much about conservation while I was at PLT.

The Full Works

I was fortunate enough to volunteer at Para la Tierra during its opening months with professionals from around the world. As a fresh undergrad at the time I had the opportunity to get involved in every aspect of the work going on, including everything from mist netting for birds (before dawn) and bats (after dusk...), to small mammal trapping, kayaking after frogs and chasing after butterflies. There was always a fun and positive atmosphere about the project, with plenty of time to explore both the local area and further afield. As this was also my first time outside of the UK I can definitely say that this project helped give me the experience I needed to develop as a conservation ecologist and as a person.

Having fun in the Paraguayan Sun

Para La Tierra was the perfect opportunity to practice different scientific and research techniques used in the biology field today. The staff were friendly, helpful, and very understanding. A volunteer could work and learn at their own pace, and even see some of the world's most exotic birds. Not only was the work challenging, but it was very rewarding!