Pangea Educational Development Header Image Pangea Educational Development Header Image

PED Volunteer Program: Join Us in Uganda for Summer 2016!

Young and inspired

I went to Uganda the summer before my first year of college, and I left with a new perspective on the world and what is important. I cannot begin to explain this, as you must experience it yourself. During the whole trip, I always felt safe and sound. What's different about PED versus other organizations is the community. Along with practicing sustainability and truly putting our hands to work, we also got to know students and teachers in the community. We are all one big family, and I am lucky to be involved in such a positive organization that is dedicated to sustainability in education.

A beautiful experience

This past summer was my 3rd time traveling with PED, and I will continue to donate my time and energy towards the amazing communities in Uganda, and towards all the people in PED helping to bring positive change to the world. I continue to be inspired and reinvigorated by the Ugandan communities we work with each summer. Looking forward to next summer!

Don't have to wonder, you know

I have spent portions of the last 3 summers in Uganda with PED and loved every second. I loved how we got to get our hands dirty and dig foundations or plaster walls and see not only the immediate impact of the shovel or trowel, but you also got to see the impact or previous volunteers in the finished projects that proceeded. I have heard stories of voluntarism that leave much to be desired, but have never felt that from the smart, sustainable, community driven plans and projects PED implements.
The schools and communities and so welcoming and the group leaders and members are so friendly you really do feel like you leave the trip having gained another family.

Wonderful Experience Every Time

I have been to Uganda with PED four times, and it has been amazing every year. Their staff in Uganda is supportive and inspiring, the impact is genuine and impactful, and the environment is safe and comfortable. Love the organization, and I can not wait to go back.

Sustainability

I felt when I volunteered with PED that my time wouldn't be for nothing. I've felt that with other volunteer opportunities. That maybe I'd help and make an immediate, short-term impact, but not a sustainable, life-long difference. With PED's projects, you know that the communities you work in will be changed forever. The community members take ownership and are proud of the work PED and the volunteers do. We all worked together. It was a refreshing experience, one which I repeated. It's hard for me to get time off, so it says a lot that I would dedicated my vacation time for another trip.

A True Cross-Cultural Experience

I volunteered with PED during the summer of 2015. As a teacher, I was excited to join an organization that believes in the power of education. During my two-week trip, I was with other teachers who joined forces with Ugandan teachers from PED partner schools for four days of professional development. It was an incredible experience. I was able to hear more about the challenges that Ugandan teachers face in their classrooms, but also found common ground when discussing classroom management, engaging all students in learning, and how to make learning meaningful for students. It was one of the coolest and most humbling experiences of my life. I think every teacher needs to have this type of experience to bring back to their classroom.

3 Time Volunteer (and counting...)

Volunteering with PED is more than just traveling to a different country; it's joining a family of like-minded individuals who share a common passion and a similar set of ideals. PED is a young non-profit that is changing the way non-profits operate. It's idea is to avoid simply giving resources to schools and instead empower schools to provide their own resources through income-generating projects. As a volunteer, every day at the work sites you could see the progress being made and the true impact the organization was having. You talk to the students and the teachers and build relationships that last. There's a reason that I continue to travel with PED each and every summer I can.