Pacific Discovery - Gap Year, Summer & Semester Programs Abroad Header Image Pacific Discovery - Gap Year, Summer & Semester Programs Abroad Header Image

Pacific Discovery Thailand Summer Program - 4 weeks

• The Adventure

Would do it again :)

I think when researching for a program there is a uncertainty if that trip/program is right for you and if you'll enjoy. it. But don't overthink it and if you find a program that you think you'll enjoy do it and be open minded. Pacific Discovery is an awesome company, They love talking to students who are inquiring about the programs and getting to know the students going on the programs. Also seems they love to build/maintain relationships with locals. It was awesome to see, many people we interacted with, were so happy to see our program leaders or knowing we were apart of a Pacific Discovery program. This company does care about the locals and the cultures. Teaching us about being traveler not tourist and appreciating/learning other cultures .

What I loved was we did do some touristy things but lot of the time we went off the beaten path. Did things I don't know if I would of had the opportunity to do on my own of done such as the Rock Climbing/Rappelling/Caving Trip to Buddhist Retreat to the cooking class(<3 Yuri) to enjoying the Elephant Nature Park(<3 Apple) as much I did to spontaneous adventures I did with group mates. So many great memories from this trip, I will always remember. Look back on trip there wasn't anything bad about the trip. if anything went so-so, we could give feedback and they wanted to hear from us to make the program the best it can be. Only bummer part of the trip for me personally was being covered in mosquito bites major of the time but I am extremely prone to bites. There were multiple opportunities for free time to do your own thing which was great. At first I was worried about for traveling for month plus with strangers but during the trip it didn't feel too short or too long but just right. I would do another trip with them.

I would 100% recommend this trip to anyone :)

• The Adventure

10/10 would recommend!

Traveling with Pacific Discovery to Thailand was hands down one of the best experiences of my life. So much was packed into just thirty days of travel that by the time the program finished, we all felt like we had been gone for months - our itinerary was well-planned and varied, and no two days were alike. The group leaders were extremely knowledgeable about Thailand's history, customs, and the like, which allowed us to interact more meaningfully with the locals. Additionally, instead of following the typical tourist routes around Thailand, we went off the beaten path, allowing us to experience so much more of what the country has to offer. The sheer range of activities you would get to take part in on a Pacific Discovery trip is, in my opinion, reason enough to sign up.

AMAZING EXPERIENCE,

I participated in the Pacific Discovery summer abroad in Thailand in July 2012. This program was the perfect balance of freedom and structure that allows participants to create their own unique experience abroad. Our PD leaders were incredibly knowledgable about Thai culture and taught us how to be respectable and ecofriendly travelers. As a future teacher I truly valued the volunteer experience at the Burmese Migrant Center. The students at the center were incredibly kind and appreciated some fresh young faces. The trip is structured so that you see some of the most beautiful and historical places in Thailand. This trip is also very active and includes hiking, swimming, and my favorite rock climbing! Along with all the these incredible activities there was also ample free time. Between activities we had plenty of time to roam the markets, shop, interact with the locals, grab a drink at the bar, and explore all of the amazing things Thailand has to offer. If you was a unique, hands on, outside the classroom experience, GO ON THIS TRIP! It will undoubtably change your perspective of the world, as it did mine. :)