Pacific Discovery - Gap Year, Summer & Semester Programs Abroad Header Image Pacific Discovery - Gap Year, Summer & Semester Programs Abroad Header Image

Pacific Discovery - Southeast Asia Gap Year Semester

Once in a lifetime trip

I would recommend this travel abroad experience to anyone and everyone!!! The trips are very very well planned and you get to do so much more than the average traveller! The experiences were incredible. If you are into adventure, I definitely recommend this trip! I got to go on hikes to remote villages, mountain bike the highest pass in Vietnam, rock climing/caving, elephant trekking, and scuba diving! This company is also really cool because a lot (or all) of the guest houses and hostels that we stay at are owned by local families, so you are really helping to support the local communities as well. Your leaders are amazing (love you Hilary!) and you will become close friends with the rest of your group. If you want to explore Southeast Asia and see WAYYYYY more than just touristy stuff, then this trip is for you!!!

• The Adventure

An Adventure of a Life Time!

I can't possibly explain what my trip to South East Asia with Pacific Discovery meant to me! It was an adventure of a lifetime. It's itinerary is the perfect mixture of adventure, cultural immersion, and volunteer activity. I was introduced to countless new things that have changed the way I experience the world. I am open to new things, confident in travel, and have made life long friends. The leaders were mentors and became amazing friends as well! I would recommend this program for anyone who wants to experience the world, find growth through new things, and make life long friends!

The Best Nine Weeks of My Life

The Southeast Asia Semester Program was the greatest decision I have ever made. Our leaders, Josh and Rebecca, were absolutely amazing! Along with being so knowledgeable, Josh and Rebecca were simply great people with great values. The trip was a perfect balance of cultural experiences, volunteer service, outdoor activities, and free time. There is no replacement for actually traveling to a place and immersing yourself in the culture. I learned so much about the history of Southeast Asia as well as the people. Pacific Discovery has such a terrific thing going and I am so happy that I had the privilege of being apart of it. I made lifelong friends and unforgettable memories. I feel like I grew so much as a person. It was the best nine weeks of my life!

Your search ends here

Pacific discovery is more than a tour company. It's a close family embodied with the true spirit of travel. This adventure is unique in that it doesn't fall under any particular category. One day your relaxing on a cruise ship in Ha Long Bay (google pictures), the next your trekking through the Laotian jungle and spending the night with a native hill tribe, forging relationships with locals I will always remember. The variety of activities offered on this trip is incredible. Each day of the itinerary is thoughtfully planned. You can tell that Rachel and Scott really care about the experience they are providing for their participants. This program offers a great balance between group and independent travel. The perfect ratio of structured activities to free time to explore and make the trip our own. For example, while not offered as an official activity with Pac Disco, I found the time to go waterskiing on a river in Cambodia. Many participants feel comfortable enough after the trip to extend their stay, traveling either with someone they met on the trip or independently. I spent a week learning Thai massage living in Bangkok and went on a ten day silent meditation retreat. PD was more than helpful with preparations such as my visa extension paperwork. I remember before leaving to go on the program I was at REI and had a question about a whether I needed something and they responded to my email while I was still in the store. This only one example of their passion and dedication. I'm bringing home a deep understanding of southeast asian culture, great memories, and friendships that will last a lifetime. You will grow in ways you'd never imagine. You will learn what you never could in a classroom. Come for the adventure, you will get so much more.

Happiest I've Ever Been

This trip was truly incredible. It completely exceeded my expectations. The leaders were so much fun. They were caring, knowledgeable, and were more like our peers than our bosses. Every day was filled with several activities that were very organized and well planned out. I was never disappointed with food. This trip was a great mix of cultural immersion, service, exploration, and just having fun. There was also a perfect balance between free time and planned activities. I really have nothing negative to say about this trip, and it was the happiest two months of my life!

Life Changing

The best decision I ever made was to come on the fall Southeast Asia semester with Pacific Discovery before starting college. My leaders, Josh and Rebecca, were so fun and caring and knowledgable. I made lifelong friendships and had incredible experiences. The program was so organized and went beyond my expectations. It balanced activities and relaxation perfectly. We were able to trek through the wilderness, stay in remote villages, bond through group activities like rock climbing, work on service projects with local people and also take a break and explore beautiful places. The amenities ranged from clean, comfortable hotels and hostels to more rugged homestays and villages. I always felt safe and never worried about any sort of health problems. At the same time I was pushed beyond my comfort zone and challenged everyday with new adventures, which resulted in tremendous personal growth. I look back on my journal and pictures from my time in Southeast Asia and wish I could be back there. Truly a life changing trip.