Our Generation Voluntary Organisation Header Image Our Generation Voluntary Organisation Header Image

Care and Orphanage Volunteer Placements in Ghana

King Jesus Christ Orphanage Assignment

As a 20-year old pursuing this program alone and with no contacts in Ghana to begin with, I was astounded by the care and support I received by Frank, one of the program directors, and my host family. I was immediately welcomed into a loving household that was always checking on me to make sure that everything was okay. Frank was marvelous. A very sweet-hearted gentleman, he always made sure I was safe and that I was having a good time. As for my volunteer service, I now wish I had chosen another avenue. This is not because my experience was negative, as the children never ceased to make me smile, but for the sole reason that I believe the significance of my impact to be minuscule and I feel as though I could have gotten more out of the program( due to language barrier issues with the children) if I had pursued another line of service (although I was only with the program for two-weeks)
Recommendations for future volunteers in this program:
- Study at least some teaching-related twi words, they will come in handy (sit, listen, stop etc.).
- Be prepared to see children all-out fighting each other ( this is a common occurrence as the children enforce their own punishments often)
- Especially if you are white, be prepared to have children no matter where you go, asking you for money or shouting " Obruni!"( meaning white person)
- Do not come with pre-conceived notions of how things will work.
-If possible, go on the Cape Coast excursion. You really learn a lot about African history from a perspective you might not readily be approached with if you were to study it abroad.

Heshbon's Foundation

It was a great experience that gave us the understanding of different problems that the kids in Ghana meet. It was a pleasure to share this experience in our family. The kids are very kind and hardworking, they like to study despite the fact that they have no all opportunities for this. They don't have a lot things, but they always share everything with each other. Here we saw how the simple things can make kids happy.