Nexos Comunitarios  Header Image Nexos Comunitarios  Header Image

Internship Program in Peru

Amazing organization, amazing country, amazing experience

I interned with Nexos Comunitarios as a human rights policy intern for six weeks in the summer of 2015. This was my first foray into international development and was an experience which was equally challenging as it was valuable.

As an individual, the work I did changed on a daily basis. The internship started with discussions of culture and learning more about the history of Peru's human rights situation. By the end of the six weeks, I had conducted interviews with government and non-government stakeholders in both English and Spanish, improved my Spanish with lessons from a Peruvian tutor, become obsessed with maracuya (passion fruit), visited numerous Incan ruins, learned how to salsa-dance (sort of), and ultimately worked in a team to compile a final report outlining recommendations for Nexos Comunitarios in moving forward with one of their projects.

Nexos Comunitarios is a small, local NGO. The team is tight-knit and there is an amazing feel of community. For students, this is a truly unique opportunity to work in the non-profit sector while learning a new language and culture, while not contributing to the irresponsible voluntourism industry, and getting hands-on experience doing field work and research while being supported by a professional and compassionate team.

Thank you Nexos, for all you have taught me and for the incredible experience with which you have provided me!

Public policy internship

Working with Nexos Voluntarios in the summer of 2015 was an invaluable opportunity. As a public policy student, I had the chance to put in practice and learn many theoretical concepts regarding human rights, international development, and social inclusion. Moreover, I was able to practice skills in report writing, conducting surveys and developing questionnaires. Beyond practice, Nexos granted me the opportunity to learn and get immersed in the Andean Aboriginal culture, as well as to travel around a variety of communities. The main advantage of Nexos its care on creating personal relationships between interns and the members of the communities, and to focus on creating long-term sustainable development with a focus on nutrition and education in youth. Through this experience, I gained an appreciation of the socioeconomic, cultural and political realities of Peru. It was truly a life-shaping experience, the Nexos staff became my family and

Best academic, professional and personal experience

With Nexos, I've had the opportunity to learn a lot. You get the chance to being immersed in a completely different culture, while improving your academic and professional skills. During my time there we've achieved Participatory Action Research projects and I had to work within a team but also by myself. It's a great occasion to understand how you function, what you like and don't like but also what you are good at and how to be more efficient.

Beyond all the remarkable experience and skills that I've gained with Nexos Comunitarios, I also had an amazing time, had the opportunity to meet amazing people (yes, the boss is also awesome) and I totally recommend this internship because eventually, you'll understand that it gives you way more than you expected from a simple internship that is supposed to enhance your resume "work experience" section.

Also, Peru is the most beautiful country in the world.

Amazing opportunity

This internship opportunity was one of the most amazing experience of my life. The internship is itself is well organized and the members of the organization were very warm and welcoming. The activities were related to the human rights issues and promoting sustainable development in the small Andes communities. The most valuable experience for me was to visit the communities and interacts with communities members. I believe in any development works, understanding the reality of the people's life and building the trust among communities members are the most important elements. I believe working for NC is an amazing opportunity since it provides us with chances to conduct field works, as well as practical skills of planning and analyzing the developing program.
Also, besides the actual work, NC provided us with various trips and workshops where we could learn interesting Peruvian culture, traditions and histories.

More than work experience

This internship experience with Nexos Comunitarios is an opportunity to gain valuable experience working in an NGO and applying classroom knowledge to a real organization. During my placement, we used the skills were had learned in university to conduct research in Peru, both through professional interviews with other NGOs and through administering surveys in a rural Andean community. It also offered a chance to use the results of this research to formulate recommendations and programs to help those in need. Beyond these professional learning experiences, it also offered opportunities to grow as an individual. Living in Urubamba and traveling in the region taught me important skills regarding traveling safely, adapting to new environments, and finding my way in a different country. I left Peru more confident professionally and individually and prepared to face whatever life throws at me.

Nexos Summer Internship

This internship offered a chance to practice international development policy research in the Andes. Through this program, I gained first-hand experience conducting interviews, analyzing data and drafting policy reports. This program was also an amazing cultural experience. I was able to visit both large Peruvian cities, and small remote villages. Through this experience I learned more about the challenges associated with promoting human rights and equality in Peru, and was able to help Nexos to improve the state of child health and education in the community of Cuncani. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking for both an adventure, and a chance to make a difference in the world.