Naturally Africa Volunteers Header Image Naturally Africa Volunteers Header Image

South Africa Wild Coast Schools Volunteer Project

Schools, Sports and all sorts!

The Wild Coast Schools Project is a unique project which engages with the local schools and the community. The programme itself is well structured and supported which meant that I was able to co-teach computer literacy skills, and English Language, with an environmental focus. These skills are important for students who face the challenges of being taught in over crowded and understaffed rural schools in the Wild Coast of South Africa. Technology is a vital skill which when shared with students, and can equip them with higher education and job seeking.

"What are our human rights?" "Where does waste come from?" I believe that in teaching environmental issues we are enabling to build global citizens. I was impressed by the professionalism and friendliness of staff whilst I was on the project. I loved being able to get stuck into community initiatives in the afternoons! My favourites included visiting Greensleeves (a local place of safety for children), where we helped with homework and did different arts and craft activities. Not forgetting the sports development programme which gives multi-sport access to children from the ages of 3 upwards. There is never a dull moment at sports with a mix of of children keen to get stuck in, whether it is playing soccer or stuck in the mud!

I loved my experience so much as a volunteer, that I came back as a Schools Co-ordinator for two years.