Naturally Africa Volunteers Header Image Naturally Africa Volunteers Header Image

Lake Malawi Medical Volunteer Project

The best thing I have ever done!!!

This was the best thing I have ever done in my life hands down! The project work is really helpful, culturally relevant and understanding to the community it is in. The staff team were amazing, friendly, helpful, supportive and nothing was too much trouble for them. Being in Nkope for 3 months and seeing them every day was great and having a translator with me all the time on the project work was fantastic; allowing and making me want to learn more Chichewa. My days consisted of wound care in the mornings, this was so helpful to the community as wounds are very common place with most people having manual jobs and not owning a pair of shoes! It was also necessary as most can not afford transport to hospital so if we were not providing this care many wounds would be left untreated and become more serious. In the afternoons we ran HIV support groups, which were a great place for HIV+ people to come together and learn about HIV, opportunistic infections and how to stay healthy with HIV. It's also great for them to get to know each other, discuss how they were feeling and how they were affected. Also in the afternoon we trained community home based carers these were groups of amazing, enthusiastic, caring individuals eager to learn and make a difference to their community. Doing home visits with the carers also allowed them to take what they were learning and practice it. The evenings were great with the staff around and happy to play games, climb Nkope hill, make bonfires on the beach, watch films or just chat with. The weekends were awesome, well organised and focused on what you want to do with support from the staff to make it happen. We explored Malawi; going on safari and rhino trekking at Liwonde national park, to Lake of Stars music festival on a beach, horse riding on Zomba plateau and kayaking to uninhabited Domwe island and spending the night there! As well as spending many weekends at the beautiful Cape Maclear relaxing, swimming, snorkelling and scuba diving in the beautiful lake! I learnt so much about Malawi, health care and myself. I also feel like I got to experience real Malawi and can't wait to return!