My TEFL Experience  Header Image My TEFL Experience  Header Image

Try TEFL Teaching in Spain!

My TEFL experience

I would highly recommend doing this to anyone who is unsure or a newly qualified Tefl teacher. Alyx and Paul are lovely and Gil is very helpful too. I found having my teaching observed very beneficial as I was able to follow through on feedback given, and perfect my teaching. My students were very nice and made me feel very welcome.

My TEFL experience

I thoroughly enjoyed volunteering in Academia Solidaria. I also enjoyed socialising with the other teachers. There was always someone to bounce my ideas off. I found Alyx, Paul and Gil to be most helpful in any query I had. I received excellent training and I gained confidence throughout the two weeks I was teaching. I think they facilitate a fantastic support network to newly qualified teachers. I hope I gain employment in an academy like Academia Solidaria in the future. I would recommend newly qualified teachers or people who aren't sure if they would like to do TEFL to try out volunteering in Academia Solidaria first.

A wonderful volunteer teaching experience in Valencia Spain

I had such a great time there. I had such a positive experience with the Spanish students at the school. They were wonderful. I also enjoyed staying at the apartment with 3 fellow volunteers and became good friends with one of them who was closer to my age.

As far as Valencia it was a great city to visit and to explore. There was so much to see and do in spare time and I was trying to improve my Spanish and I must say that people were very patient and helpful whenever I asked for help in my stumbling Spanish.

Alex from Canada

Academia Solidaria - The total package

I found AS following my son's advice to find out what job prospects were available for people with the CELTA qualification (I'm thinking of doing one). The ethos of the academy immediately resonated with me so following a successful Skype interview with Alyx, I took 2 weeks annual leave and booked my flight. A few months later the day arrived and off I went to Valencia.

The apartment was close to the Metro (which was on the line to go and come from the airport) and just a 15 minute walk to the beach. Several trips were taken to the beach! The ladies I shared the apartment with Eline, Caroline, Emma and Eleni (not all at the same time!) were amazing. We all got on so well and in fact helped each other with lesson prep. work, grammar queries etc. I have made some friends for life!

The instructions Alyx sent me to find the academy were comprehensive to say the least! Photos of buildings I would see etc. The teachers there were friendly as were Alyx and Paul. The latter offered any kind of help required. My students over the 2 weeks (Beginners, Elementary and Pre-intermediates) were wonderful. Apart from the PI group, most students were mature and brushing up on their English. I have made some friends amongst them and hope to see some of them next year when they visit England.

We attended an "intercambio" in a Bar where English speaking volunteer teachers had the opportunity to meet Spanish people to do a language exchange. There were other opportunities to socialise.

This experience has been invaluable to me for confirming that I really would enjoy teaching English as I loved every minute of it. The programme was very well managed by Alyx and Paul and the only thing I would suggest is that it would have been really helpful to have received the course work a bit sooner than the week before I flew. Primarily for preparing exercises for classes as well as printing everything off beforehand. However, if it didn't happen it's probably due to normal academy challenges! There's no doubt that occasionally helping students in Spanish was useful for the beginners and elementary classes but CELTA teaches you not to speak in the native language, so don't worry if you don't speak much Spanish.

To sum up, if you're thinking of doing this, do not have any reservations, just do it!! I did not regret a single moment and in fact, wished I was there now! Photo of me with one of my beginners group (me in the blue denim dress).

MTE volunteer

I have just completed a 3 week placement with MTE and had an enjoyable time. Alyx, Paul and Gil were all friendly, helpful, supportive and approachable during my stay.
The school is clean, spacious and has the resources to help carry out varied lessons. The lesson plans are provided by the school so it takes the stress out of lesson preparation.
I was lucky enough to teach all 4 levels to help increase my own experience. All the students are lovely and they genuinely want to learn English.
The flat provided by MTE is very nice and spacious. It is situated in a nice area and close to good transport links, making it easy to get around Valencia.
I would highly recommend MTE, particularly if you have no or minimal classroom experience.

Fantastic, rewarding experience!

Before I arrived in Valencia I was extremely nervous and worried about teaching a class of students. I had completed an online TEFL course however had no previous experience of real teaching and I didn't know what to expect. As soon as I arrived however I felt a lot more at ease. The apartment was clean, spacious and perfectly located to explore the city and walk to the academy. I received a lot of help and support, not only from Alyx, Paul and Gil but also from the other volunteers. I was not the only one to have had no previous experience so there was a great sense of teamwork between everyone.

The students were a pleasure to teach and were very understanding of the fact that this was my first time in front of a class. I met so many different and memorable characters and I hope that they found my classes useful and a good learning experience. I always left the academy with a smile on my face because I found teaching English to be a challenging but rewarding and all round enjoyable experience.

There was also a great social side, with a few nights spent with everyone having food and drinks at the Portland, a really great bar where they offer inter-cambio nights for Spanish people who want to practice their English.

I would recommend My Tefl Experience to anyone who wants to teach English regardless of their previous experience, and in fact I have recommended it to other people that I did my TEFL course with. I would love to come back for another couple of weeks if I get the chance, and now feel a lot better prepared to look for teaching jobs.

• My TEFL Experience responded to this review October 17, 2016 at 5:34 AM

Thanks Becky! We loved having you with us.

Good luck with everything in Barcelona and let us know how you're getting on.

Hopefully see you in either Valencia or Barcelona soon!

Best regards,
    Alyx and Paul

xx

Invaluable experience

I arrived in Valencia not knowing what to expert. The experience at My TEFL experience has been second to none. I received incredible support from all the staffs at the academy and the training i received has been totally invaluable. I have in no doubt become a better teacher for it. I will most definitely return one day.

I would recommend this programme to everyone, Alyx and Paul are doing a fantastic job with the academy and they were helpful through out my whole stay. The students were a joy to teach, they are all eager to learn which made my job so much easier. The overall experience was a pleasurable experience and the memories will stay with me forever.

• Teacher Support

Brilliant experience for 'brand new' TEFL teachers !

A great way of gaining classroom experience with enthusiastic adult students.

Classes are small, and Paul or Alyx are always there to give you guidance, feedback and answer any questions.

The lessons are planned for you, and you are given the outline, teachers' notes and any materials that are required are provided. I would strongly recommend spending at least two hours per lesson, going over and writing up the lesson in your own words. I found that to be a huge help when I first started.

Whether you have a 120 hour TEFL, a CELTA, or are just considering whether this is the right career for you, this is the perfect place to gain experience.

Great Experience!

I volunteered through My TEFL Experience for 4 weeks. I can safely say that I loved every minute of it. Alyx and Paul (the organisers) are super helpful and great at answering any doubts/questions you might have. The best things about this experience are the different types of people that you meet (i.e. your fellow teachers) and the students. I am incredibly happy that I chose to volunteer through this program as I acquired a myriad of useful teaching skills, whilst making some pretty great memories. Thanks guys, keep being awesome.

Didn't want to leave!

As a university student currently completing my undergraduate course in European languages and with jobs in Spain being few and far between, Doing a stint at Academia Solidaria seemed to be somewhat of a perfect match in what I was a looking to achieve. Originally signing up for 2 weeks of teaching, I felt instantly welcomed by the academy who provided me with all the tools and support I needed to settle in as soon as possible. After just a few days of teaching I approached the powers that be and enquired about the possibility of staying longer. In total I taught for 6 weeks and loved every minute. The students were friendly, enthusiastic and always willing to offer help to someone who was new to the city. If that wasn't enough my fellow teachers became friends quickly, meeting people from all parts of the world, ranging from Canada to Australia. By the time my 6 weeks was over I was looking at when I could return as I didn't ever want to leave.

I would recommend My TEFL Experience to anybody who wants to develop their skills as English Teachers, or anybody who wants to broaden their horizons in what is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. Academia Solidaria provides a great platform to open yourself up to countless opportunities.

English teaching refresher and confidence boost

My TEFL Experience in Valencia, Spain, is not just a nice holiday in a beautiful Spanish city, with all the vibrancy and sunshine of a traveller's delight, it is also a fantastic way to experience English teaching in a relaxed and extremely supportive environment.
Perfect for those new to teaching, qualified teachers, teachers who wish to have more experience and a boost of confidence in their field, and those who are returning to the profession.
The lesson support is unequivocally concise, manageable, and fun, the accommodation is ideally situated and comfortable, and the experience as a whole is most enjoyable and memorable.
All in all a highly recommendable experience for anyone in the teaching field, whatever your level of expertise!

• Teacher Support

A Really Rewarding Teaching Experience In A Great City!

I had recently completed a CELTA qualification and wanted to put what I had learned into practice. 2 weeks with My TEFL Experience proved to be an ideal way of doing this, whilst exploring a fascinating city and brushing up on my Spanish. I was warmly welcomed and supported throughout by Alyx, Paul and Claudia.
The lesson plans supplied worked very well, although there was sufficient scope to adapt the content and delivery methods if required. I was able to teach 4 levels of students ranging from Beginners to Intermediate. The classroom accommodation has everything needed and the students were a delight to teach and were very appreciative.
I found my own living accommodation (which obviously adds to the cost), but my fellow teachers seemed to think their shared accommodation provided through MTE was fine.
The programme balances a good amount of teaching experience (I did 20 x 90-minute classes in 2 weeks) with enough time off to socialize and enjoy the city. Valencia is a fascinating place, combining the historic and the modern. It has some great beaches and friendly people and is easy to get around.
I would thoroughly recommend My TEFL Experience. Large numbers of local people are able to benefit from the teaching provided and I was very pleased to have been a part of that.

A truly rewarding and fulfilling TEFL Experience in Valencia

As a trained and experienced EFL teacher, my rewarding and enjoyable stint at Academia Solidaria is one of the most treasured two weeks in my life!
The pleasant experience began right from the start of the application process. Alyx, the Programme Coordinator, provided all the information I needed about the volunteer process, accommodation, and transport from the airport to the flat and from the flat to the academy. For somebody who is completely new to Valencia, I was given guidance on many aspects about living there.
The teaching programme is very well organised and coordinated. Prepared and detailed lesson plans with corresponding teaching schedule are provided in advance to allow new teachers to be familiar with the content and structure of the lessons. It is useful for those who are trying to ‘test the waters’ for teaching. I found the students eager to learn and easy to work with. Best of all, the support provided by Paul, Alyx and Claudia is really impressive. They know the true meaning of professional accommodation.
And it’s not just all work; because we get time to play, too. With a 4-day workweek, I was able to fully explore Valencia and its environs. Valencia is a lovely city with its warm, authentic and friendly people.
All in all, My TEFL Experience at the Academia Solidaria has been so fulfilling, positive and inspiring. And because of this, I have decided to go back to Valencia.

A great experience for anyone interested in teaching English abroad!

Coming into my week at Academia Solidaria, i had no TEFL and no prior experience to teaching English. At first, I was a little nervous, however Alyx, Paul and Jim quickly put me at ease and immediately made me feel welcome and part of the team.

Teachers are well briefed and given lesson plans, worksheets etc. so you will be fully prepared for the lessons in the week. There were a few things I was unsure of, however Jim and the other teachers were there to help at any time!

The lessons were very enjoyable with a lot of interaction from the students, who were all very keen to learn which meant their engagement was very high!

The location of the apartment was great, and quite easy to find. With the afternoons/days off teaching Valencia was a really good place to explore. It is around 10 minutes from the beach and 10 from the Arts and Science museum. Food & drink is very cheap compared to the UK, and there are supermarkets & other shops close by if you don't fancy eating out everyday!

If you are looking for a short period of volunteering abroad, then I cannot recommend MTE any higher. It was a very worthwhile experience, the only downside was that I couldn't stay for a little longer! 10/10

A great experience and just what I was looking for

I couldn't have asked for a better experience, everyone at the academy was fantastic and help was there if needed. The students were great as well - happy and eager to learn, which makes the whole experience that much better. The classrooms are all of a good size and have all of the essentials needed for teaching. Lesson materials/handouts and lesson plans are provided which is really helpful if you have little or no previous experience.

The accommodation provided was spot on, clean and modern and close by to supermarkets and some great cafes.

If you're interested in teaching in Spain and want to test the waters or gain some more teaching experience then I would thoroughly recommend at least a couple of weeks at the academy - even in a relatively short period of time you will learn so much and meet some really lovely people, what more could you ask for?!

Alyx and Paul are doing a great thing with My TEFL Experience and Academia Solidaria and it's a pleasure to have met them and spent some time teaching at the academy.

More Than Just Teaching Experience

I spent one week with MyTEFL Experience, but I've spent several weeks in Valencia and know others who have worked with them for longer.

This is a great opportunity for anyone who has completed an online TEFL Certificate and needs some classroom experience, observation and guidance, as well as anyone wanting to visit Valencia and do some teaching in the meantime.

I found it to be a great value - while you do pay a small fee, you are provided with very comfortable accommodations, guidance around the city, and a built-in social life with your roommates and the school founders.

The staff was extremely helpful in so many ways - not only did they help us develop our teaching skills, they served as a resource for getting around the city, helping us settle in for long-term stay, and just as good friends to pass time with.

In the classroom, you are provided with all teaching materials, a set teaching schedule, observation hours, and feedback sessions where you discuss your strengths and goals. This is NOT a high-pressure "do it our way" type of place. It's a very open, supportive environment where you can explore your own teaching style and develop as a teacher.

I had zero teaching experience when I started, and by the end of the week, I felt very comfortable in the classroom. I had also made great friends and knew my way around the city. This academy is providing a valuable service to the community, and it felt great to contribute to that cause. Highly recommended!!!

My TEFL Experience - A must for any newly qualified TEFL/CELTA Teachers

A brilliant environment to put into practice all you have learnt in the TEFL classroom. The academy was well set out (some classrooms were very hot) and help was on hand should you have any concerns or questions. All the teachers were very helpful and you wasn't made to feel inexperienced in any way. The students were lovely and very grateful for the opportunity to learn and speak English. You were made to feel part of the team as soon as you arrived and were given instructions on where to meet for a welcome drink with Jim the Director of studies. Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone considering teaching English as a foreign language or just to see if it's really for you.

Phenomenal volunteering experience

great opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture, get experience teaching english to students of all ages and skill levels, and an opportunity to meet like minded people as well.

Alyx and Paul are doing a great job with the academy, and i recommend this program because there are no hidden costs or huge application fees like other programs. it is a very transparent process and solely aimed at helping the community. extremely enjoyable experience.

My TEFL experience

The teaching experience in Academia Solidaria gives you definitely more confidence. What I really enjoyed throughout my placement is that teachers are given a lot of flexibility in terms of teaching so we were free to choose how our class will proceed. Students are really nice and chatty. In Academia Solidaria you see people who really want to know and have the desire to expand their knowledge and develop language skills. Valencia is a really nice city and if you go you definitely should look around,there is definitely a lot to see!

• My TEFL Experience responded to this review September 28, 2015 at 5:04 AM

Thanks Tanya!

We loved having you....keep in touch and, if you ever fancy another trip to Spain, you know where we are ;)

• Teacher Support

Fantastic experience for the budding TEFL teacher!

MTE is ideal for those who are interested in teaching English as a foreign language but need some experience, guidance or practice in the classroom to build their confidence.
I thoroughly enjoyed teaching the wonderful, fun and enthusiastic students at the Academy. You are given each lesson plan with scope to personalise and develop it which takes the pressure off you as a new teacher while still allowing you to model the lesson for your class. One of my favourite aspects of the experience was getting to know and build a relationship with my students.
The management is very accessible as Paul, Alyx and Claudia are always there to help and listen to you, as are the other teachers. I found them a great support. There is a fantastic atmosphere in the academy, which leads to a good social life. There will always be someone who is willing to explore Valencia with you!
The work hours are good too, giving you plenty of free time to enjoy the Spanish culture practise your Spanish or prepare for class.

• My TEFL Experience responded to this review October 07, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Thanks Elaine!

Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.

Good luck with your TEFL career in the future!

Best regards,
    Alyx and Paul

Would love to go back again!

I had a choice of 3 different programs when I was looking for a volunteer teaching opportunity overseas. After my interview with Alyx (and some research about Valencia), I decided to go and spend 2 weeks teaching for MTE. I can only tell you that I loved every day that I came in to teach. The students really made it worth my while. The facility is a work in progress but it's a very clean, functional and professional.The classrooms are equipped with everything you need for the lessons and very clean. The lesson plans & materials are always ready for you before you start your lessons and given to you in a timely manner. Besides all that, Alyx & Paul are great people to work for and are always ready to help if you ever have any issues before, during or after a lesson.
The apartments are clean and located in a very lovely area near the beach and to the main avenue and you can find whatever you need. Valencia is a very easy city to get around in and the people are quite friendly and helpful.
Overall, I would happily return to Spain teach at the academy. A great experience!

A great way to get into TEFL

Like everyone starting out in TEFL, I needed a safe way to start teaching English as a foreign language, to make me sure that I could do it, and also to make sure that it was for me. This experience provided exactly that.
I would thoroughly recommend My TEFL Experience, not just because it is a great experience, but because it allows you, as a volunteer, to try teaching as it really is. The students really are Spanish people learning English, you really are helping them to learn English, and you will be teaching a wide range of groups on a fairly normal timetable.
While there are some down sides to having teachers come and go so quickly (such as your classes being different most weeks), the up side is the flexibility that this provides; you can register for few or many weeks -- it's up to you. I stayed for 5 weeks and would very much recommend staying for at least one month, if you can afford to do so, as this will give you a real experience of a prolonged TEFL placement.
Valencia as a place is varied and seems to be a pleasant Spanish city. There are lots of parks, cafés, museums, a beach ... You can also travel to other places in Spain fairly easily, either by RENFE or coach, and you can even take the ferry over to Mallorca, Menorca or Ibiza! (I would thoroughly recommend doing that one weekend if you can).
All in all: if you want to teach English and have no idea how to start off ... This is the way to do it!

• The School/Placement

A great teaching experience!

I was keen to participate in this particular program because I had taught in Spain previously but it was many years ago and I was very rusty. I volunteered for four weeks and I felt it was just the right amount of time for me, as it gave me plenty of teaching experience and also plenty of time for seeing the sights of Valencia - which incidentally is a truly beautiful city.
The school is a not for profit organisation so their are no fancy interactive whiteboards or anything else but to be honest I never felt I needed anything other than what we were provided with, which was comprehensive lesson plans and an audio machine. The students themselves were so friendly that it was an absolute joy to teach them and they really seemed to appreciate the lessons. The staff at the school were also friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was very relaxed.

The accommodation was basic but contained everything you might need. The two flats are close to the Metro so it's really easy to get around.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to gain some teaching experience and do something worthwhile at the same time.

Appropriate Stepping Stone

After having acquired my TEFL certificate it was time to apply what I had learnt but more importantly begin the real learning experience. Starting teaching is a steep learning curve and therefore it is important to choose the right starting place. My Tefl Experience provided a low-pressure environment where I could improve my teaching skills with informative and readily accesible feedback. Thanks to the experience acquired at the Academia Solidaria, I was able to move on and attain a teaching contract, it is a vital stepping stone in order to enter paid teaching