Mente Argentina participants Mente Argentina participants

Mente Argentina: Volunteer with Street Kids in Buenos Aires

It was definitely an experience that I would never forget

Hi, my name is Daniella; I’m from Maryland in the USA. I came here for the five week volunteered program with street children; it was definitely an experience that I would never forget. I never seen that much poverty in the United States, that face on, and it will break down any conception you have when you see these children and teenagers living on the streets. You’ll get to see them as your friends and not just another face at the stairwell, so that went super well for me, I grew a lot personally. I stayed in Palermo and I definitely felt relaxed to come home at night, I love the sound of the city on how people were always walking around. I love my apartment, I had my own place which was great not to share such as in a college dorm. Buenos Aires is something you have to experience on your own, you can’t be afraid you have to try things for yourself. I made tons of friends and I knew no words of Spanish, you just have to go out, not just Mente, which is fantastic, but it’s something that you have to figure out. If anything, you have to be grateful that you are growing as a person because of it. If you just rely the tour sides you are not going to have the true best experience that you can have. I love the nightlife but you get to see the real people, and it was hands down the best experience I had.

I’m glad I applied

Hello, I’m Julia and I were with Mente Argentina for a month. I did volunteering with children from a shelter; I had such a nice time meeting these kids. I also was doing Spanish classes in the mornings and I love it, they were so much fun, I improved a lot. People here are so friendly, and everyone in Mente was very helpful. I stayed at a student residence and I met people from all around the world. I recommend the program to everyone, it’s been really easy and I’m glad I applied. Here was easy to meet a lot of people and the culture is super welcoming.

There’s so much history behind everything

Hi, I’m Laura and I’m 18 years old. I came here to volunteer with Mente Argentina for two and a half weeks. I basically all these kids were coming off the streets, we would feed them and give them clothes. And during the school year they would have classes. These kids have been on the streets forever, one of them was on the street when he was 10 years old. All of them have a different story, it was truly eye opening hearing them all. Apart from that, Mente Argentina gave me a lot of opportunities to go on city tours, and other activities like Mundo Lingo, etc. You just go out and meet people from around the world. I love Buenos Aires and there’s so much to do. I love the culture here and basically wherever you turn, you will find something new, such as Tango culture, food, etc. There’s so much history behind everything.