MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

TEFL Certification in Guatemala—Teach in Latin America!

The best TEFL program in Guatemala

I took TEFL in Antigua, Guatemala with Maximo Nivel and couldn't have asked for a better course. All of Maximo's staff were very friendly and helpful. They go above and beyond to help you with whatever you need. Even if that means housing or recommendations for places to eat. The course was thorough but so much fun! Also, it would have never been the same without Karen--my TEFL instructor. She is truly an amazing women. She makes TEFL fun and is ALWAYS there for help and proving resources. She has been teaching for years and has done quite a lot of travel. She is very kind, caring, funny, inspiring and now a friend for life. If you take TEFL at Maximo you will not be disappointed.

• Academic Support

Highly recommend this program!

Maximo Nivel is organized and well run, Karen (the TEFL trainer) is an amazing teacher, and Antigua is a beautiful city with lots to do!

I would recommend this program to anyone considering getting a TEFL certification!

Texas boy goes to Guatemala

I left my job selling running shoes and jumped on a plane for Antigua Guatemala a couple of months ago. My reasons for "taking the plunge" was to learn Spanish and experience a different way of life. I chose Guatemala merely because it was close to home and the flights were cheaper. I had zero teaching experience and, to be honest, had no real dreams of becoming a teacher. I signed up for Maximo Nivel's 4 week TEFL certification in Antigua Guatemala. I was immediately impressed with the facilities. It was was well organized, clean, and safe. However, the class itself was what left the biggest impression upon me. Karen, our TEFL instructor, was very passionate about teaching us. Her enthusiasm was quite contagious. On the first day of the course I realized that I had stumbled upon something very special. Karen took us from the very basics of teaching English all the way to the end. By the end of the 4 weeks I was confident in my abilities to teach any level of English. I am so thankful to have discovered this organization. Karen is a very compassionate person and she has a keen awareness of every individuals strengths. I struggled with teaching the specifics of english grammar. Karen identified this weakness and gave me the tools and the confidence to overcome. I am currently living in Medellin Colombia and I have several options for teaching positions. Thanks To Karen and the other staff members at Maximo Nivel, I can travel the world and effectively teach English wherever I may find myself. Cheers!

Excellent course

My TEFL experience with Maximo was perfect. I would recommend it to anyone interested in studying TEFL. My teacher was remarkable and I feel lucky to have been her student. The location is safe, friendly and beautiful with all kinds of things to do in your spare time. Everyone I met involved with Maximo was extremely kind and helpful, even the students. Maximo was an excellent choice.

• Academic Support

Amazing TEFL Program in Antigua!

I came into this program with a lot of previous teaching experience but I was still able to learn so much about myself as a teacher and teaching English as a Second Language. The program at Maximo Nivel is fun, exciting, practical, and inspiring. The trainer, Karen, is an incredible teacher and friend. Her enthusiasm has rubbed off on me! The support from other staff at Maximo Nivel is great. There is no question that you will feel loved and cared for.
The program is challenging but not overwhelming. It is fun but still serious. It takes place in an amazing city and you will definitely meet some amazing people. You'll be able to gain a lot of experience teaching classes through mini lessons and practical teaching week.
I just finished the program and I already have 2 jobs here in Antigua, so I can guarantee that you will not have a problem finding a job either!

• Academic Support

Amazing TEFL program in Antigua!

• Academic Support

TEFL course in Antigua, Guatemala. Do it!

Everyone at Maximo Nivel is so dedicated and passionate about what they're doing. Cannot thank Karen, our mentor, enough! The TEFL course is structured so well and provides great practical teaching experience as well. What a location to take the course as well! Antigua is a beautiful city with beautiful people. Once you're here and experience it for yourself, you'll fall in love! You'll meet so many wonderful people along the way too.This really is an opportunity of lifetime!

This program rocks!

I absolutely fell in love with this city. Such a beautiful culture, so many beautiful buildings, so close to so many amazing locations. You're literally surrounded by volcanoes. It's awesome in every sense of the word. And the program - incredibly practical, very hands-on, the best education one could ask for, from the very best TEFL trainer 'round these parts. Shout out to Karen!!!!!!!!! There is no doubt in anyone's mind that the people working at this facility absolutely love love love their jobs. Everyone is more than happy to help, whether it be setting up a shuttle to the airport, connecting you with native Spanish classes, or answering any questions you might have. This program rocks. I highly recommend it.

Kudos to Karen! Maximo Nivel Course -Aug-Sep, 2016

A special kudos to Karen of course, without whom we would not have come so far. The constant encouragement and optimism was a welcome message through an otherwise harrowing grammar week. She constantly pushed and 'pulled' us each in the direction she knew we could achieve. The path was not always the one of least resistance, but for sure it was the right one to travel down. If anyone is deciding whether or not to take the course, just look at the comparisons. I truly believe this is the best and most practical course to take. Lifetime job finding assistance! Thanks for reading! Hope to see you out there!

• Academic Support

Antigua is the place to be!

I completed my TEFL course at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala and I could not be more satisfied with my choice. Having never even heard of Guatemala I did not know what to expect, Antigua is a beautiful place with cobbled streets, gorgeous buildings and the happiest people I have ever encountered. There isn't a day I can't recall walking down the streets from my home stay to Maximo without seeing a smiling face or being greeted warmly. As for Maximo I can't praise the staff enough for the help while being in Antigua, whether it was to do with the course or what I should do in my spare time they were more than happy to help. Karen Wilke was my TEFL trainer while at Maximo Nivel and she is an amazing woman with a huge passion for education that she passed onto all of my peers on the course, the topics were covered in detail but that didn't mean the lessons were boring, they were far from it, from learning on the terrace of the Maximo building with the view of the Volcanoes in the background to getting up out of our seats and dancing the classes were full of laughter and learning! The practical teaching week was definitely the highlight of the course for me with great feedback and support provided for every lesson. I can't thank Karen and the Maximo Nivel staff for making my experience of Guatemala an amazing one!

• Academic Support

Best learning experience ever!

Having not been in a classroom for more than 40 years I was initially skeptical about joining this TEFL program. My wife and I both signed up with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, a place that we were both very familiar with. I took me about one day in class to get drawn into your instructor's enthusiasm. Karen is able to pull in even the most introvert students; her energy is amazing and it really shows that she loves her job. Needless to say that both my wife and I were delighted to receive the certificate at the end of the month. It is hard work and there's not much else we could do during this time, other than studying. Antigua is a great place to spend your time and we highly recommend the school and the city to any future students.
In addition to the more than excellent teaching by Karen Maximo Nivel's support staff is fantastic; they are there any time you'd need them and they regularly checked in with the class during that month.

TEFL in Antigua, Guatemala

This was by far one of the best experiences I've ever had!
Antigua is one of the safest places I've been to and the most beautiful. Guatemala in general is an amazing country, nothing like what the media wants you to believe.
The course was intensive, but I enjoyed every single moment of it! I made new friends, my classmates and students were amazing and my teacher was just something else!

TEFL - Antigua, Guatemala

I had clear expectations prior to the course that it would be intense and I was absolutely right, however I lost count of the amount of times we would laugh, sing, dance and be silly everyday. Exactly the right atmosphere to help lighten our load.

Our group was very small, with 4 students in total, which meant that we equally received more than enough time and guidance from our teacher Karen. She went out of her way to help us get to know each other and the students easily formed a very nurturing and supportive group, whereby we encouraged and praised each other from the first day of the course up until until we graduated and beyond. Solid friendships were formed :)

On our first day of the course, Karen told us that we'd be teaching a mini-lesson that same week on the Friday, and as daunting as that initially sounded, she built up the methods we would require throughout the week with ease. Karen assisted us with every single step from brainstorming lesson ideas, practicing the ESL techniques, planning our lessons, to preparing our materials and giving us incredibly positive yet constructive feedback at the end of the lessons. We each couldn't believe that we had taught, and that our students had had so much fun. That was a great end to a very rewarding first week.

Re-learning grammar was tough for most of us since we were all native speakers that had acquired English as opposed to having 'learnt' it in the traditional sense but Karen really helped to break down the various topics into digestible chunks, which we easily grasped, especially as she went out of her way to make her classes as fun and creative as possible.

The practical teaching element of the course had again initially sounded daunting but by the time the last week of the course had rolled around, we all felt extremely confident and were prepared with all of the tools and support required to teach a class for a full week.

Studying in Antigua was the cherry on the icing on the cake! Throughout the course, we had many materials to read and papers to write, yet working from the rooftop terrace of a cafe overlooking the lush Central Park and volcano in the distance made it a breeze. The daily walk to school each day was an absolute delight for my eyes, and taking a lunch break surrounded by gorgeous colloquial buildings, ancient ruins and colourful streets was exactly what we needed to recharge our batteries before the afternoon class.

Overall, it was an incredibly fulfilling 360 experience to have grown from being a student in a classroom, to a teacher that taught students grammar! I cannot recommend this course and Antigua enough to anyone who is considering becoming a TESOL/ESL teacher. It really was a well paced course, in an incredibly supportive environment with the backdrop of such a stunning and fun town of Antigua.

Very professional

Hey Y'all! I would like to HIGHLY recommend this TEFL training program. As someone who has traveled extensively internationally in the past and worked with English Language Learners, I wasn't sure whether this would be the right program for me. However, I learned SO MUCH from this program, the community of Maximo Nivel staff, and Antigua as a whole. The program has incredibly relevant, dynamic and useful training curriculum that gives you the tools and practice you need to be a competent EFL teacher. Everything is broken down for you simply, and you are immediately able to apply what you are learning with workshops, activities, mini-lessons, and a week of practical teaching. The amount of support from the trainer, Karen, is unbelievable! She is the kindest, most supportive woman, who is always there to help you, make you laugh and guide you through the entire 4 week process. She is incredibly knowledgeable, fun, and creative. I am POSITIVE that she is the absolutely best trainer out there, so don't hesitate to sign yourself and let the entertainment, challenge, and adventure begin!
As far as Maximo Nivel as whole, absolutely excellent staff. So genuine and helpful, you honestly couldn't feel more supported or welcomed by anyone. Always there to accommodate your requests and help you through the adjustment to Antigua, they are the sweetest. Don't forget free coffee and tea all day long.

Great content, great support, fun environment, beautiful, safe city, couldn't recommend this more!

Manon

Mind Blowing

Boasting, I've been to 47 different countries. Guatemala, easily the most colorful -- whatever anybody might think about Central America, here you are certain to be put at ease by welcoming smiles, incredible sites, and something akin to being welcomed as part of a family. ( I also thought it would be crazy hot all the time. Not the case. Just kind of nice all the time.)

So, no complaints, just praise, except maybe the tortillas outside the grocery store, but the TEFL class I took in Antigua was wickedly rewarding. My teacher's instinct and knowledge, as a teacher of teachers, was nothing less than fluorescent. Loved it.

Antigua!

I had an amazing time learning and teaching in Antigua, Guatemala. I had no idea what kind of instructor we would have for the TEFL course but I was pleasantly surprised. Karen is one of the top 3 teachers I have ever had. Her enthusiasm and knowledge of the subject is incredible. Her personality makes you want to go to class! I am already planning my next trip back to Antigua to do an add-on course with Karen. I love that place.

A great experience

I would highly recommend Maximo Nivel’s TEFL certification program in Antigua Guatemala. Because I’ve been a teacher for many years I wasn’t sure how much I was going to get out of the course other than my certificate - but I was amazed at how much I got out of the experience. The course is well organized, the material is taught with depth and flexibility, there is excellent support staff and resources - and to take the course in a working language institute is really an advantage. We had a lot of opportunities from the first week to be teaching English language learners with excellent and detailed feedback. Our teacher, Karen, modeled what she was teaching and demonstrated her commitment to us by really going the extra mile to make sure we had everything we needed to be successful. The course is intense - I wouldn’t expect to do a lot of traveling or kicking back during the month - but its worth it because by the end I felt and saw in my other classmates that we were really well prepared to start teaching right away. I had my own accommodation so I can’t speak to that part of the program, but Maximo staff offers a lot of support. And Antigua is super fun!!

One Month in TEFLtopia

My TEFL course in Antigua, Guatemala through Maximo Nivel was more than I ever hoped for. I expected to work hard for a month, get my certification, and then get to the fun part...that was not the case. Every day was fun in my class, and that is hugely in part to my teacher, Karen Wilke. She truly loves whats she does, and she will do whatever she can to help you succeed. I also was lucky enough to come away with new friends that I will keep for life. Every class is different, and of course, so are the people, but if you are looking to do the TEFL course, I promise you won't regret doing it with Karen. The month will fly by, and before you know it, you will be holding your certificate, as well as countless new memories to cherish. One of the best decisions I've made, so don't be afraid to take the plunge :) Pirates of TEFLtopia for life!

TEFL land

The TEFL trainer Karen in La Antigua Guatemala is a star! She is patient, encouraging, fun and makes all the hard work during the course seem so clear and achievable. If, like me, you were on the fence about taking the plunge into TEFL Land, just do it. Karen is with you every step of the way and the course really can change your life. It sets you up to go off on a new career path and I am very excited to start mine!

• Academic Support

Amazing instructor, beautiful facility, personalized support! Highly recommend!

I came to the program with very little teaching experience, and am graduating with the confidence that I could effectively teach an ESL classroom. Karen Wilke, the instructor, is incredible! She fills the classroom with a dynamic energy from the first moment to the last. She was immediately available to answer my every question and spent countless hours giving us each the personal attention we needed to be successful. Maximo Nivel took care of my every need-from airport pick-up to being sure that I had dinner on my first night in Antigua. The course is rigorous and intensive, but with Karen and Maximo Nivel, I had 100% support and encouragement for every step.

• Academic Support

I could not have imagined...TEFL Maximo style

I just wanted to learn how to be an English teacher so that, like many, I could carry on traveling and hopefully make a little cash. I had no idea what was in store when i got involved with the Maximo program. From day one the entire staff make you feel like family. You know they have your back and care about your well being. With so many people for Maximo as a whole to worry about its incredible the level of individual attention they are able to provide. My TEFL class was one of the more memorable and pleasant experiences of my life, and that is saying A LOT. When i first wandered into the classroom I was having nightmares of the first time i walked into so many hellish classes before. But I was instantly put at ease. My teacher Karen has the most immediately welcoming energy you cannot help but feel at ease. Within minutes a group of complete strangers were becoming the best of friends, all enthusiastic and bright eyed about the journey we were about to embark upon together. Although there are many intense moments throughout the month of the course - and i mean seriously intense - you know you have a support group. That is the type of environment that Karen fostered. Not only was she and the Maximo staff there for you, but we needed to be there for each other. I always felt as though I was making progress, even at the most difficult of times. Karen kept the course well paced and provided the information in clear and concise and perpetually fun manner. Always accommodating. Always encouraging. I honestly had forgotten how much fun learning could be. There may have been years of university that I did not learn as much as in this single month. And now that all the hard work is completed and the sweat has been wiped from our brows, there is endless help provided for job assistance. I'm certain I could go on for quite a while about how good I feel about my decision to be in this program. All I can say in the end is if you want a solid, fun TEFL course, with all the resources and tools you need to become a wonderful teacher, this is a seriously safe bet.

• Academic Support

Great Company, Awesome Teacher, BEST Program!

150 hours of TEFL fun flew by!
The program was organized, interesting and best of all extremely hands on. After just the first week I already felt like I was well on my way to being a teacher. Maximo allows TEFL students a substantial amount of time teaching real ESL students, and that experience itself is enough to make you fall in love with teaching English, before you´ve even landed a job.
I was lucky enough to join the Maximo company as an employee, and I´m happy and proud to be apart of the team!

TEFL Course in Antigua

I first signed up for the course thinking it was just a means to help me continue to travel and get paid while doing it. By the end of the first week though, I realized how much I truly enjoyed it. Everything you learn is relevant to what you will actually need to know once you start working. Along the way you have mini lessons, which are 20 minutes long, with real students so you can work on the techniques you are learning. For your last week you take over an existing class and teach for the full hour every day. It was great experience because your trainer is observing the class so you know exactly which areas you need to work on.

Be prepared, it is a lot of work but Maximo Nivel has a great support system and trainers who go out of their way to make sure you get as much out of the course as possible. They even help with your job search process which is super useful since applying internationally is a whole new ball game. I would highly reccomend this program to anyone who is looking to get the TEFL certification!

Maximo is fantastic

My experience with the TEFL/TESOL at Maximo Nivel was amazing. As soon as you arrive you are treated like family. The course itself was so much fun, intense at times, but thanks to Audra it was crazy fun. Fabulous teaching makes all the difference in the world, I highly recommend Maximo.

TEFL/TESOL course with Maximo Nivel- Antigua

This course was amazing! I wanted to do a TEFL course, and at first I was thinking about doing one online or something in the states, but I am SO glad I chose to do this one instead. Antigua is beautiful on its own, and definitely worth visiting, but I thought it was such a perfect location to take this course as well. Also doing this through the Maximo Nivel program was amazing. They were very accommodating, professional, and I felt very comfortable with all the staff that were involved in the program. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone thinking about getting the tefl certificate.