MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Teaching English—Volunteer in Guatemala!

4 weeks volunteering at a school teaching English

I had an incredible experience teaching English in Guatemala for 4 weeks. Maximo Nivel was the organization responsible for arranging my teaching placement. I arrived on a Friday night to my volunteer house and the following morning I was greeted by an employee from Maximo Nivel who gave me a safety orientation about Antigua, Guatemala. It was a detailed power point presentation on safety tips and advice. He even went above and beyond by printing out a map of Antigua and showing me where the best places are to eat, where to exchange money and even took me by foot to show me where the bus depot was located. The next day a different staff memeber Andrea - - gave me and another handful of volunteers an orientation of the building and a walk about around the city. Maximo Nivel did an absolutely phenomenal job assisting me with anything I needed. They are extremely focused on client service and made my volunteer trip a smooth, safe and positive experience. Whether your a first time traveller or veteran backpacker and you wish to volunteer, please take the opportunity to do it with Maximo Nivel. The staff are extremely friendly and very approachable and I would highly recommend this organization to anyone who is eager to make a difference in this world.

Teaching English at Nuevo Amanecer

My experience was absolutely wonderful! My six months volunteering in Guatemala changed me for the better! I could not have asked for a better project, better Spanish lessons, or a better staff there to support me during my time! I hope to go back someday and I highly recommend going to anyone who is thinking about it:)

Teaching English at "The Backyard School "

1Peter 4:10
"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace."

I cannot even begin to put into words this life changing as adventure! The first day, I was all alone in a different country, with no friends, no Spanish background, and very limited WiFi!?! It was scary and intimidating but literally by day three, I adapted rather quickly and felt like I had been there for months!!
It truly, truly changed my life. My first week was consumed by Spanish classes, in which my "Spanglish" improved enough for me to get by, and was introduced to my students. The students I taught came to a one room building in a community member's backyard and was properly dubbed "The Backyard School." Those little angels have changed me for the better and humbled me so very, very much so! Their eagerness to learn, gratitude for EVERYTHING and just overall joy was abounding and infectious!!! I will FOREVER be connected to that developing school. They taught me more than I could have ever hoped to teach them!
I also was afforded the most magnificent cultural experiences, my favorite being climbing a volcano and taking in absolutely breath taking views. I made friends from all over the globe and had THE BEST housemates AND host family I could have ever imagined!! The Backyard school family, community and students include some of the most amazing people I have ever met and I truly want to continue to help them create the vision they have for their students. If you are interested in positively impacting the lives of many children, please volunteer and request this program. I guarantee it will change your life!

Teaching English in Guatemala

I will start by saying Guatemala is a beautiful country with beautiful people. This is the second time I have gone to Central America through IVHQ and Maximo Nivel, and I have felt safe, well advised, and supported through these organizations. I loved my teaching English experience at the Rosa De Amor Orphanage in Guatemala. The children and staff were absolutely wonderful. They appreciate and love the time and creativity you bring to their site. I would absolutely go through Maximo Nivel again, and would highly recommend going to Guatemala. <3333

If You Volunteer In Guatemala...

You won't want to leave! I was only in Antigua for two weeks teaching English to a wide range of students from the ages of 9 to about 14 but the the teachers and director of the school were very welcoming and made the experience even better. Learning English is highly valued in Guatemala since it offers the locals more employment opportunities so you will find students who are eager to learn whatever it is that you would have to offer. With that being said, I would recommend at least learning some basic Spanish phrases to communicate with the locals and really make the most out of the experience. Aside from teaching, Antigua is a beautiful town with plenty of cute restaurants, vendors, and travel companies for weekend trips.

Volunteered Abroad in Guatemala

I volunteered in Antigua, Guatemala for three weeks and stayed in a volunteer house with many other volunteers around the world. I am so grateful that I was able to go and teach children - English! I taught English to kids in a public school from grades 1-6, this was a great learning and teaching experience for me! Maximo Nivel provided a great orientation and TEFL crash course. The staff at Maximo Nivel were always very nice, always had a smile on their faces, and always said hi or asked how you were doing. I definitely recommend teaching English in Guatemala. It was an unforgettable, life changing experience.

Teaching English in Guatemala

The support from Maximo during the duration of your stay is amazing. There´s great food everywhere in Antigua and as long as your cautious of what you are doing you will never feel unsafe. Getting to know the kids while teaching English was so much fun, and they are all very welcoming and friendly. Don´t worry if you don´t speak Spanish, language barriers become very easy to deal with after you get to know the people you are trying to communicate with.

Volunteering and traveling in Guatemala and Antigua

I chose to start this visit with a mini adventure week. It was well planned but, as I was the only one in most activities, it felt a little isolated. With a lot of down time in El Salvador and at Tikal, I had to learn to relax even when it was quite warm. Would have liked a little more structure and social contact, although sites and guides were great.
The subsequent three weeks of volunteering out of Antigua have been lots of fun. Tomorrow I get to see the kite flying in Sonango, which will be great too. At my project in San Antonio Aguascalientes I was able to work with very warm and beautiful children ranging from four to 13 years of age, they were very loving. I'll miss them. The peace and beauty of Lake Atlitlan made an awesome weekend trip.
My home stay has been a great social experience with a wonderful host mom and revolving cast of housemates. It's great to go on a vacation and be involved in the community you are visiting. Guatemala is a wonderful country rich in history and culture that one gain learn more and more about.