MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Native Spanish Program—Costa Rica | Guatemala | Peru

Maximo spanish classes

I took about 10 months worth of Spanish classes with Maximo Nivel. One of the best decisions I have ever made! Amazing, supportive staff with good classes. My classes we very personalized and most of my teachers rally worked to get to know me as a student and as a person. I could not more highly recommend the classes I had through Maximo Nivel!

A summer in Guatemala

I went to Guatemala this summer to learn Spanish and to have an incredible journey of sightseeing, cultural exchange, and self-discovery. I'm happy to say there is no better program for this than Maximo Nivel. Their friendly employees are highly attuned to providing you with the best experience you can have traveling. I'd highly recommend Maximo Nivel's program to anyone, especially if you've never been to Guatemala or Latin American more generally! I'll always have great memories with everyone I met and hope to return someday soon.

Spanish class

My experience studying Spanish at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala has been excellent!! Without using any English in the classroom, my teacher is very easy to understand, and class is always so much fun! She makes sure we get lots of conversation practice, rather than just flying through the book material. We are able to take classes in small groups, so we have plenty of opportunities to practice speaking. I highly recommend Maximo for anyone who wants one-on-one experience learning Spanish.

The great Spanish introduction

I have taken a few Spanish classes at Maximo Nivel in Antigua. I have had the privileged of being taught by two amazing Spanish teachers on separate occasions.
Aracely is one of them. She has the ability to make Spanish fun and interesting. I had a great time in her class.
Margarita is the second teacher I had the pleasure of meeting. She is an excellent teacher with a lot of patience for a slow student like me.
It is also worth noting that the administrative staff have been very accommodating and helpful.
Thank you for giving me the chance to learn some of the foundations of the rich Spanish language.

• The Campus

A great place to learn Spanish

I have taken both private and group Spanish lessons with Maximo Nivel, and I have completely enjoyed both experiences. Before leaving the U.S., I was taking Spanish courses but never felt like it was clicking. As soon as I began taking courses abroad with Maximo, I started having my "aha" moments. Taking courses in a Spanish speaking country, and with a program such as Maximo has really increased my ability to understand and utilize the language. The Maximo style of teaching is really helpful for learning another language. I now feel much more confident in my Spanish, and feel comfortable using it on the streets. Thank you, Maximo!

I'm going the distance

Having been to both Maximo Nivel Peru and Maximo Nivel Guatemala, I can attest that everything about these facilities and the way they run is top notch. In Antigua, as soon as you walk into the office, you are greeted with a lovely staff who really actually want to help you with whatever you need. Nancy and Andrea in particular helped me tremendously when I lost my debit card and needed to get a new one shipped to me from the U.S. I don’t have experience with Spanish classes in Cusco, but in Antigua I know that they don’t mess around. My teacher Margarita is like a drill sergeant when having the class practice the material in repetition at a fast pace to make sure we fully understand everything. This was intimidating the first day of classes, but the more I was challenged the easier things became as days went on. As someone working in Antigua, I have found myself using and practicing the Spanish that I learned in class as soon as I exit the building. This truly is an awesome cultural and language immersion experience.

The paragon of patience

The brilliance of the Spanish tutors at Maximo Nivel, where I studied one-on-one, was two-fold. First, as I am nearly devoid of talent for learning languages, my teachers (two, individually) were extremely patient. Their lessons were paced to my slow intake, and abiding my mistakes in a thoroughly professional manner, while fostering a relaxed mood, and in no way ever -- fear of fears -- making me feel stupid.

Second, I found it remarkable how the teachers tuned into my learning style and adapted. This certainly personalized the experience, with the result of many "oh, I get it now" moments.

Otherwise, this company is very welcoming, good facilities, support, and of course, Antigua is a jewel, not to be missed.

Huge thumbs up.

Great Program!

After extensive research into language immersion programs we chose Maximo because of their professional website, quick responses to our emails with questions and online reviews. We are very happy that we did. There are things we would do differently should we chose to do a language immersion program again - but we will go with Maximo - or one they recommend if they don't have a program in the area we want to go to. They are very professional and supportive - they encourage you to ask questions and bring them any concerns immediately. We loved our home stay and have made life long friends. The last week we were there we traveled through their recommended agency and appreciated that Maximo kept tabs on us and confirmed that we had a good time. We are an older couple and this was our first study abroad language program.

Great choice in La Antigua

Great experience! I had a private class with an attentive and knowledgeable teacher and I can't say enough positive things about Nancy at the desk. The rest of the administration was professional and organized too. Plus, my home stay was first rate!!

I love COSI!

My experience studying at COSI in Manuel Antonio has far exceded my expectations. My host family in Quepos was incredibly welcoming of us even with my limited knowledge of spanish. The program at COSI is very well-rounded and is designed to cater to your level of spanish. The teachers are wonderful, well-trained native speakers and they will definitely improve you spanish in no time. The directors, Barbara and Karen, at COSI are fabulous at their jobs and will make sure you will have the best time of your life in Costa Rica! Pura Vida :)

Me Encanta

I had a blast at COSI-Máximo Nivel. I couldn´t of had a better experience in Costa Rica. Everyone involved in the program were super friendly and extremely accomodating. They were very knowledgeable of all things Costa Rican and my teacher taught me a lot of Spanish in my short time here. I loved it so much and I would recommend it to everyone of all ages and levels. Pura Vida!

• The Campus

Learning Spanish to enhance one's career

Cosi was a well organized and professional learning experience. The teachers were well qualified and the administrative staff was amazingly helpful which made the entire trip run smoothly. After just one week of class I felt more confident with Spanish comprehension and verb usage. I highly recommend Cosi- Manuel Antonio. Thank you Barbara, Jennifer, and Karen.

Most Efficient Way to Rapidly Improve Spanish Skills

I have been with the U.S. Government for 15 years, and have been assigned to an overseas post in Latin America. In January 2015, I was an absolute beginner in Spanish. I had not studied Spanish in high school, or college. The intensive program I began in the spring of 2015 was designed to bring me to as high a level as possible in six months. The goal was fluency comparable to a university educated native speaker, and culminated with eight weeks at COSI/Maximo Nivel in Costa Rica. I chose this location based on recommendations from colleagues who had already attended this location. in short, the experience was phenomenal and exceeded my expectations in every regard. The home stay was fabulous. The family I was with has been hosting students for 11 years. They love what they do, and they love making the experience the best it can be for every student. Manuel Antonio has a lot to offer students who enjoy outdoor adventure. With respect to cost, my 6-month intensive program consisted of multiple commercial venues, contracted by the government to teach me at a rapid pace. The overall cost was significant. In retrospect, the most efficient segment of the six-month intensive program was by far my time at COSI/Maximo Nivel. The cost for eight weeks at COSI/Maximo Nivel was less than half what the Government paid for four weeks for a contractor in the Washington DC area; and the improvement rate in my reading, speaking, and comprehension skills far surpassed my time in any other venue. My only regret is that I didn't spend less time trying to study in Washington DC and more time actually learning the language in Manuel Antonio. The instructors are excellent. They are infinitely patient, capable and willing to teach at any level, and made every conversation fun. Overall well worth the time, effort, and cost.

• The Campus

the best experience having fun learning Spanish

I learned more Spanish at Maximo Nivel in a week then I have in semesters at community colleges. I took two hours of private lessons per day with an extremely effective, knowledgeable, and fun professor named Patrizia. Everyone spoke Spanish to me, and I did not use English but for a few minutes during the week, but I think there were people available to speak English for people at lower levels. Everyone on the staff was very nice and knowledgeable. The living situation was clean, cozy, and safe. I had my own apartment with a private shower and a key to come and go whenever I wanted. Public transportation took me everywhere I needed to go from Manual Antonio to Queops and was cheap. I plan on studying with Maximo Nivel again with hopes that I will have a professor as effective as Patrizia.

Great Family Immersion Experience

My husband and I traveled with our two daughters to Manuel Antonio for a week of Spanish Language school at COSI and had an amazing experience!

The teachers we had were all very flexible and taught us based on our individual Spanish levels. The teaching materials for my husband and myself were helpful and supported our learning without limiting us to following a fixed program. On the other hand, our daughters didn't have books to work our of, but their teacher brought materials to help their understanding and vocabulary development.

The school administrative staff were excellent. They gave the best customer service we could have imagined, creating a unique program based on our needs. They gave us an individual orientation to the town, helped us with activities and travel plans, and always checked in to see that things were going well for us with our host family. We loved Barbara and Karen!!!

The school campus isn't so beautiful from the outside, but it has amazing views of the coastline and the jungle. The rooms all have fans and most look out on the spectacular views. There was a sloth that lived in the trees right next to the school, that we loved watching. The snack bar was great and the free coffee am tea kept us going when we were tired and hot. There is also a great pool that belongs to the hostel next door that we used daily, and good restaurants right near by.

We had a very positive experience with our Costa Rican family. Mama Tica was super nice and the girls liked that she only spoke Spanish with them, encouraging them to use their Spanish outside of the classroom. Our typical Costa Rican meals were delicious. We felt safe and well cared for!

Can't wait to come back!

This school is awesome!!

I attended a 4 week study abroad program for Spanish and my total experience there was amazing, both in and out of the school!! It far exceeded my expectations and everyone who worked at the school was so helpful and caring. My home stay with a local family was incredible as well. I highly recommend this school for anyone who is interested, regardless of you level of fluency. And I'd recommend that you go for at least 2 weeks, so then you'll have ample time to get a solid grasp of what you're studying.

Highly recommended!

I stayed at Máximo Nivel for six weeks to study Spanish. Apart from now being able to read and write in Spanish, follow conversations relatively easily and also speak Spanish with some confidence, everyone I met at Máximo was very friendly and always ready to help with whatever necessary. The school was beautiful, the study material excellent and the family homestay was way, way above expectation. I can highly recommend Máximo Nivel for anyone who wants to study Spanish in an enjoyable atmosphere with the opportunity to make lots of new friends!

Best way to learn Spanish

I participated in a 1-week Spanish Immersion course at Maximo Nivel in San Jose, Costa Rica. The daily classes I attended were extremely helpful and thorough. The testing process to determine each student's language level was very accurate and did a great job of identifying the areas we each needed to focus on to improve our skills. My teacher had creative and fun ways to help improve my vocabulary and I really appreciated learning from a native speaker as opposed to an English speaker who also speaks Spanish. The school was very well-kept and secure with a friendly, helpful staff and convenient amenities like an on-site currency exchange service and snack bar. The Maximo Nivel staff were all extremely attentive and helpful - they each went above and beyond to meet all of my group's needs and everyone felt safe whenever we were at the school or around town with the staff members. Our group ambassador was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the Costa Rican culture, and he truly made the trip worth our while. He organized excursions and paired us with Spanish-speaking students seeking to learn English, so we truly were practicing and learning Spanish every minute of the day - even when we weren't in the classroom. And our group instructor made the learning process fun and exciting, which also made it effective. We all agreed we wish we could bring him back to the States with us to continue our Spanish education at home! Overall, I would rate the Spanish Immersion course at Maximo Nivel as outstanding. I highly recommend this program for anyone with a basic understanding of Spanish who is looking to improve their skills while having a great time learning and experiencing the Costa Rican culture.

my quest

I met a young man at the airport that had wonderful things to say about Maximo. When I began my quest in December I knew Maximo was where I wanted to start. The staff is amazingly friendly--very helpful when one is getting acclimated to a new country. The teachers are very conversational and the class sizes are small. After the placement exam I was placed in a group that was a perfect match to our levels. When a new person was added, she too was a good fit. Maximo's placement strategy has been the best experience of ANY of the schools I've studied in before. If something is not working for a student, the school is responsive and makes changes, be it host family, scheduling, change of teachers, etc. I highly recommend Maximo for anyone coming to study spanish.

Paradise Unchanged by Modernism

Maximo Nivel has shown great hospitality and love towards WCCCD Students. This love and hospitality extends through Casa Antigua, Museo, Choco Factory, but more importantly its citizens. It is truly amazing how the sreets having no stop signs or traffic lights, the resident respect each
other´s right-of- way. Maximo Nivel, you have truly broaden my cultural horizons.

God Be With You Always

Mitchell or Miguel Green

muy bien

price a bir expensive, but can provide the best service. asian students, particularly in english and spanish at the same time you can learn. because the majority of students use english.

pura vida es verdad!!!!

Die Schule war sehr gut - hat grossen Spass gemacht! Die Lehrerin Julia ist grossartig und macht mehr als man erwarten kann! Das Erlben einer Familie war sehr schlecht, da es keine war! Das Essen war sehr maessig. Viel besser haben wir in der Schule gegessen!
Aber zur Lehrerin wuerden wir jederzeit wieder zurueck kommen.

PURA VIDA

das program, die schule, die lehrer und die unterkunft sind sehr gut.
ich wuerde oder werde auf jeden fall wieder kommen!

The program, the school, the teachers and the accommodation were very good.
I would and will definitely come again!

Intense Spanish Immersion

I came to Cusco, Peru with zero Spanish experience and the intention to learn as much as quickly as possible. I spent one month studying in both group and private classes for 6 hours per day.

Everything about my experience at Maximo Nivel was absolutely top-notch. I had friendly, laid-back, and knowledgable teachers who made learning Spanish interesting and fun. We would take excursions about once a week around Cusco to museums, restaurants, and spots around the city to use what we learned in a practical way.

My homestay was amazing. I was fortunate enough to live with a very friendly, loving family who really rounded out my entire experience. The food was good, the accommodations were very comfortable, and I lived with a group of other amazing students and volunteers.

The administration at Maximo Nivel were friendly and accommodating, as well. You really felt valued and remembered, not just another student customer, while at the school. They also offered a ton of extra-curricular activities and opportunities to improve your Spanish and learn a bit about Peruvian culture.

I would highly recommend the program to anyone who is interested in taking their Spanish to the next level, and am considering studying at one of their other schools Central America.

Just what we had hoped for!

We reviewed and compared 4 different Spanish immersion programs in Costa Rica and we definitely hit the jackpot with COSI in Manuel Antonio. The ocean views and beaches were spectacular, and the teachers and staff were excellent. They showed a caring and patient attitude each and every day of our 7 weeks with them. It was a great Spanish immersion experience. We went there to become conversant with the language as quickly as possible. We learned enough grammar to allow us to go forward and speak it. We have no more trepidation when speaking, asking questions, and understanding! It's amazing. We still have a ways to go, but we know we'll get there. Loved it, and hope to return again some day!