MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Medical Volunteers Needed—Work in Peru!

Medical campaign and project -- an awesome experience

My experience doing this medical trip in Cusco has probably been the best volunteering experience that I have had so far. Our group did the medical project for one week and the medical campaign for another week. Cusco is a beautiful city and I loved that we were able to walk everywhere. Our group's host family was very kind, extremely accommodating, and made delicious food. They were the best host family I could ask for. For the medical project, I volunteered in a small clinic with three other volunteers. I had the great opportunity of taking height, weight, and blood pressure of babies and adult patients, carrying out HIV tests for patients, and learning the paperwork process of the doctors as well as assisting them with it. For the medical campaigns, our group traveled to four different locations during the week and set up make-shift clinics at those locations. I was amazed at the amount of supplies and medications we brought to these these campaigns and the amount that we had available. In addition, it was cool to see how the campaigns were set up and it felt so great to be able to help so many people. On some days, we were even able to see and provide care for 200 patients! Overall, this medical volunteering experience was unforgettable and I would recommend it to anyone interested in healthcare.

1200 patients in two weeks

Working with Maximo Nivel was spectacular! A team from NYITCOM consisting of 12 students traveled to several rural villages and provided free healthcare to the populations. We all took histories and completed physicals as well as other roles, such as teaching children how to brush their teeth and wash their hands. The experience was eye-opening and outstanding! The host family/guest house Maximo Nivel organized was fantastic as well as the food they provided! Maximo Nivel made getting to and from the airport easy as well as from site to site. They were also very helpful with pointing out interesting stores, restaurants, and other spots in Cusco, Peru! All for a great price as well! I highly recommend volunteering with Maximo Nivel!

A life changing experience!

Volunteering with Maximo Nivel was amazing! I worked as a medical volunteer during my time in Peru and was blown away by how much healthcare was lacking in many parts of the country. Through the efforts of the volunteer program, these medically underserved populations were given the opportunity to receive the healthcare and health counseling which they otherwise would not have free access to. The entire volunteering experience was extremely enlightening. Furthermore, as a current medical student, the experience provided me with unparalleled clinical experience in that I was able to assist a variety of patients from various age groups who presented with unique complaints. Thus, from this experience, I gained vast insight and skills in the field of healthcare which will follow me for the remainder of my career.
The leadership of the program was also magnificent. The leaders made sure the volunteering efforts ran smoothly with no major hiccups. They guided us through our services and made sure we got the most out of our time in Peru. The entire experience was well organized and lacking in nothing.
In regards to the living situation in Cusco, all my expectations were exceeded greatly. The host family treated my fellow volunteers and I as members of their own family. From preparing our meals to joyfully greeting us every time they saw us, the host family went above and beyond in making us feel at home in a foreign country.
Overall, my experience with Maximo Nivel is one I will never forget.

Whatever I did for them, they did more for me

I am a Canadian nurse who went to Cusco in November, 2015 and was assigned to the Santa Rosa clinic. I cannot say a bad word about the Maximo Nivel experience. I signed up for a volunteer nursing placement via IVHQ and Maximo handled everyone once there. I was placed 10 minutes walking distance from the office which is about 5 minutes from the Plaza des Armes. The accommodations were lovely. I felt safe, cared for, and comfortable. I had 2 room-mates in different volunteer programs and we became close instantly. My first day of placement a physician came to the office and took us by bus to the clinic so that we knew how to get there and back. We were given a full tour of the clinic and introduced to everyone. The Spanish language classes were extremely helpful and a great way to meet people from other programs. The workers of IVHQ were always available for tips and travel suggestions, probably the friendliest group of individuals you'll ever meet. The office is located 5 minutes walking from the plaza des Armes. I worked in health care and my two room mates worked in child care and we all left saying that as much as we helped them, they changed us for the better even more. Cannot praise this company enough.

Don't think, just go!

I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to volunteer! Go to Cusco!!
I had such an incredible time volunteering for Maximo Nivel. From the moment we arrived in Cusco to the moment we left, we had an absolutely wonderful time. The Maximo Nivel staff set up a week of volunteering with the medical campaign (I led a group of 14 students), that allowed us to see different parts inside and out of the city. We got to engage with so many different members of the community and got to do meaningful volunteer work even though we were there for only a week. It felt like we were actually making a difference each day, and that was a really energizing feeling. We all got up wanting to go volunteer each day. We also got to work closely with a doctor that is affiliated with Maximo Nivel and he was incredible. He answered so many of our questions and was really responsive to us wanting to learn more!
In addition, the Maximo Nivel staff helped us to get situated in our host mom's house. Our host mom was one of the kindest people (and best cooks) I have ever met. We all felt extremely welcome from the moment we stepped into the house. We were "her children!" In addition the Maximo Nivel staff was very welcoming and make us feel as though they wanted to get to know each volunteer personally. They took us on a walking tour, and a few nights they came to dinner with us to name a few! They were amazing, and it was the best way I could have spend spring break. I am saving up money to get to Cusco in the future.

Spring Break

Maximo Nivel is such a fantastic organization that is incredibly well organized. I volunteered with them for a week in Cusco, Peru and my accommodations were beautiful. Everything was well planned out that we actually help people and use our time wisely. I would volunteer through them again in a heartbeat!

10/10 would go again

My program through Máximo Nivel in Cusco, Peru exceeded my expectations in every way possible. I was not expecting to make any long-lasting change, and so my goal was to learn as much as I could by participating in the medical campaign while not being a liability. However, after meeting with hundreds of patients, and making long-term relationships with the people I worked with, I can happily say my experience with Máximo Nivel was life-changing, and that I will happily participate with it again in May.

Invaluable experience

My 6 weeks volunteering in a medical center in Cusco were amazing. It's definitely an experience that I'll never forget. I loved every second of it. It made me be even more sure about my decision to pursue a career in healthcare.
I met amazing people while I was there, the staff at the medical center were amazing. They really appreciate you, and they're are completely willing to teach you what you need to know.
I also met some of my best friends there, and we had so much fun. There is a great night life in Cusco as well, with people from all over the world. Got to visit many other places and do all sorts of activities such as Machu Picchu, the salt mines, sand boarding, canyoning, rock climing, the list goes on.
You won't regret going there. There is a big need for volunteers, and it's a really gratifying and eye opening experience.

Experience of a Lifetime!

I sincerely enjoyed this volunteer trip. I felt that I was able to give to those in need, and in return, I met amazing people. From the first day I arrived to the very minute I left, I felt like Cusco had become a second home for me. The friends I made and the experience of volunteering will be with my forever. I hope to work with Maximo Nivel again in the near future.

Fantastic Experience at Centro de Salud: Urcos

I am a fourth year medical student getting ready to graduate. I spent 3 weeks working in a government health center 1 hour outside Cusco. I learned so much and hope I gave back something as well. The doctors, nurses, midwives, and other staff I worked with were wonderful, patient, and welcoming. I had the opportunity to help deliver 2 babies! I was also able suture, do wound dressings, attend rounds, and assist consults. The staff at Maximo was also great and extremely helpful. A stray dog bit me a few days in, and the staff immediately rushed a doctor to my home stay to clean the bite and get me my rabies vaccines. My Spanish teacher Ricardo was excellent--I took 1 week and wish I could have done more. And it was wonderful making new friends in the other volunteers and my Spanish conversation partner. Overall, this was the best possible way to get ready for residency and I hope the sense of courage and caring this trip helped instill carries through my career. I want to move to Cusco--it's a magical place.

Cusco, Peru Medical Campaign

I would just like to say how amazing all of our hosts were in Cusco! Including both our homestay hosts as well as our Maximo Nivel staff hosts. We were only there for a week but from the very first day our host mom Betty made us feel like we were her own kids that she wanted to take care of. Maximo Nivel staff, notably Daja and Beth, kept us safe and sane as they helped us navigate the city. I couldn't have asked for better hosts for this experience overall, and I couldn't have chosen a better way to spend my spring break than exactly where I was in Cusco, helping and learning from the community in the best possible way that we could.

Hospital Antonio Lorena was amazing

So I volunteered with through Maximo Nivel for 8 weeks. As a working nurse going to volunteer, I expected a different experience. With that said, I did have a great time still. I think their program is perfect for students or people that are interested in being in the medical field. My first 6 weeks I volunteered at a clinic and was able to help them quite a bit. My last two weeks I was assigned to Hospital Antonia Lorena and worked in their pediatric oncology unit and it was the most amazing experience. These kids need someone who isn't afraid of what they're going through. They want to be seen for who they are and being a volunteer there will bring a whole new joy to your heart! The staff are all very appreciative to have the helping hand there! Request to see if you qualify for this placement.

Nursing in a Community Clinic

My placement was for several weeks in a community clinic. I was able to choose the area/specialty of the clinic that I wanted to work in. There was no english spoken there whatsoever, so a basic understanding of spanish is recommended, as well as the lessons offered at Maximo Nivel (excellent teachers and staff and great central locatin). If you have any questions about the experience please check ut Facebook group "IVHQ Cusco and Peru" - IVHQ contracts through Maximo Nivel so although you pay IVHQ, from thereafter you work directly with Maximo Nivel. I believe you can go straight through MN, however for some reason when I looked at this option before my trip, it was considerablly more expensive, which I don't understand. But I suggest looking into the price differences before you book because things can change. Overall awesome experience and Cusco is a great little, big city to spend some time : )