MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Medical Volunteers Needed - —Work in Costa Rica!

Medical volunteering with MAXIMO NIVEL

The assigned project gave the opportunity to assist others while working with a supportive, knowledgeable staff. The facility proved highly beneficial to the surrounding community, bringing meaning to the volunteer work. Living conditions surpassed personal expectations and the Maximo Nivel staff was always available to help in whichever manner.

Medical Volunteering

I volunteered at Maximo Nivel in Costo Rica for two weeks. I was very nervous about the whole experience because I was going by myself. Once I arrived at the airport I was greeted by a progam manager who was extremely nice. I was place in the most beautiful home with wonderful people who made my experience even better. I volunteered in the medical program. Chris was the person in charge and let me tell you he was amazing he took me to the site I was working in the first day and came to check on me a few times. He is the most easy person to talk to. He answered all of my questions and concerns, we truly connected I felt like he was one of my closest friends. Although I was travelig alone I've never actually felt alone the staff at maximo nivel was super awesome and the people at the program that I was placed as well. I met alot of volunteers that I got super close too. We hung out on our free time and went out together.I felt like I've known them for a while. Its great to be in such a safe environment with people who share the same interest. The people in Costa Rica are also so nice and helpful, honestly this was one of the best experiences of my life.

Senior Assisted Living

I was so blessed to have the opportunity to work with a small senior citizen community in Costa Rica. The elderly population in the community is so welcoming and appreciative of the little help we may offer. For pre-med students, there is only one day a week to see a doctor come in and examen the patients. For medical students I would recommend being in a clinical setting if they want to learn and get experience. However, if you truly enjoy talking, listening, and helping people out in any way, then this is the perfect place for you!

Medical Mission and Spanish lessons

In the four weeks I was in San Jose, I was able to volunteer at two different clinical sites. The first site was an elderly home where I took vital signs an all the residents. I volunteered 2-3 hours a day. The second site was an HIV/AIDS home in Cartago. The tasks there were vast. I would do anything from direct patient care (diaper changes, bathing, bed changes, feeding, etc.) to physical therapy and housekeeping tasks. I feel like I was more useful at the second site. I felt as if they needed extra hands. Though very different, both experiences were extremely rewarding. It was great to get to know the staff and residents at both clinical sites!

I also took four weeks of Spanish lessons. The first two weeks were two hours of group lessons and the last two weeks were one hour private lessons. Both were great, but I feel like the private lessons were more beneficial.