MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Construction Programs—Volunteer in Peru!

Cusco Kindergarten project.

This program was awesome and so rewarding. It is physically exhausting work, but the beautiful little kids running around and trying to help make it worth it knowing that this kindergarten is for them. Marco is a great Forman and really knows his stuff and all the guys on site were a lot of fun. My whole experience from booking to completion with IVHQ/ MAXIMO NIVEL has been outstanding. The support is constant and very much appreciated.

Building a Kindergarten in Cusco

I spent 3 months with Maximo Nivel building a kindergarten in an impoverished area of Cusco. Starting upon arrival to the airport, it was all a wonderful experience. They were waiting for me at the airport as soon as my flight arrived with a packet of information. They drove me to the Maximo Nivel office where I saw the space and met some of the staff, and then took me to the lodging they had arranged for me. I was staying in a great modern house with other volunteers, and a delicious breakfast and dinner was provided every day! I am a vegetarian and they always made sure to prepare me something special that still filled me up (something that doesn't always happen, especially in South America where being a vegetarian isn't all that common). My second day in town I had an orientation where they gave me useful information on the city, and prepared me to start at my project the next day.

The project itself was very well organized, and run by Maximo Nivel's foreman Marco, a local Cusquenan. Marco doesn't speak much English, but he is very friendly and able to communicate what is needed- and I learned a lot of Spanish from him! I got the opportunity to be involved in all types of the construction, from laying bricks to mixing cement to making the ceiling, and got to see the differentkinds of building techniques that they have in Cusco. We also had the opportunity to visit some of Maximo Nivel's other volunteer sites to help with repairs (such as fixing the roof of a school) and upkeep (such as painting the bedrooms at an orphanage).

In addition to volunteering with Maximo, I also took spanish classes, and participated in their free weekly salsa classes. All the classes were well organized, and taught me a lot!

Through my participation with Maximo Nivel I have had an unforgettable experience, made life long friends, and created a second home for myself in Cusco. I cannot recommend their programs enough!

Amazing Summer

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about travelling to Peru is the extraordinary experience I had as a construction volunteer. Two weeks that were not long enough!
The construction site had a great view over Cusco, everyone at Maximo Nivel and all the volunteers I met were fantastic and very helpful from day one. Not only did we enjoy working together at the site but also our after work lunches and trips to explore the surrounding areas.
One of the reasons I chose Cusco was the opportunity to visit things during our free time and I was not let down. Staying with a family was a great chance to really get to try home-made food and Peruvian culture and we even got to see the celebrations for their Independence Day.

Volunteering in Cusco

I have zero experience in construction, ZERO. But Daja put me right in my place the first day we were in Cusco getting briefed on our volunteer project, "What's the most important thing you need to come to your job with: eagerness". I came to work each day ready to work and ready to help, and I left each day feeling content and overwhelmed with joy. I really didn't know very much spanish either, but again, come with eagerness, come with excitement for the new experience, and any human can accept and respect that.

I would recommend anyone, and everyone, to experience something like this. I could only manage to take 7 days out of my busy schedule to help...but if you have more freedom, then take more time. This will not be the last time I experience such a wonderful and fun project. I can thank Maximo Nivel, and Build Abroad for coming together to create such an inspirational trip.

Be prepared for anything and everything; just a few words to highlight our time in Peru:
Cold showers
Mosquitos
Machu Picchu
JOY

Teaching English in Cusco, Peru

Overall I had a great time while in Cusco, Peru. I taught English for a week and wished I would of stayed longer so I could have gotten more out of it. My home stay was great. The only thing I would of changed was that I wish my roommates were more outgoing. Additionally the neighbors dog barked all the time but those are things out of Maximo´s control.

Incredible Experience

I'm not sure what I expected when I signed up to volunteer for the Construction Program in Peru, but I know that I was incredibly nervous. I doubted everything about myself and my decisions when I was on the plane ride, but my concerns were set aside almost immediately upon arrival. I was greeted with incredible warmth by my roommates; I couldn't have asked for a better welcome. Maximo was fantastic throughout the whole process, and it was tough to say goodbye. The Field Managers truly care and want to make a difference. They take all your suggestions seriously and want you to make a difference as well. I enjoyed the construction experience but I wish I could've left a great impact and done a little bit more. The daily work schedules were only for the mornings and we had the afternoons and weekends free. It was great for discovering Peru and meeting other travelers. I have no shortage of good things to say about the people who run the program, the house moms and chefs who took care of us and the incredible people I met along the way. Thank you Maximo!!