Loyola University Chicago  Header Image Loyola University Chicago  Header Image

The Beijing Center

The Best Experience of my Life

China is mysterious. And those who choose China as a destination to study abroad are often scared and nervous (like I was). The Beijing Center for Chinese Studies (TBC) makes the experience the BEST possible experience. The mandarin classes, the living conditions, the social life, the tips, trips and help, everything makes this abroad experience wonderful. They have an amazing space in the University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) in Beijing, and the library and study areas are great. They have an amazing staff, prepared to help and answer any questions. The professors are top leaders of their industries in China (great for networking). The friend you will make here will change your life. They will be your friends forever.

ChinaGreen Summer Program

I had an amazing time on my ChinaGreen Summer program! Not only did I learn a ton from the very talented faculty at the Beijing Center, but I had a great time on the excursions and in Beijing itself. I would definitively recommend this program (and already have to everyone I know!) My only regret is that I could not return to Beijing in the fall to participate in their school year program as well.

One of my favorite semesters of my college experience

TBC has a wonderful program that is definitely worth the money to invest in. My study abroad experience was better than I could have imagined. Our two-week excursion on The Silk Road was one of the highlights of my time with TBC. You get to travel all over China and in the process and get to know a lot of the people in the program more intimately. Classes are taught by very knowledgeable professors. In my experience they are very willing to help you succeed in class. The surrounding area is a great location to put a college campus. TBC is by far an amazing study abroad program that all students should consider!

Go For IT!

Get ready to struggle, feel homesick, and be confused. Get ready to learn, laugh, succeed, and explore! All this and more comes with this challenging yet very rewarding program. You will be required to step out of your comfort zone and experience new things. You will questioned many ideas and perceptions you once had, but leave with a greater understanding of the world, China, and yourself. So if you're looking for a semester that will open your eyes to a completely foreign way of living and understanding, while making great friends, look no further than TBC. Go For IT!

A Transformative Experience

I went to China and TBC to study China but I left with confidence and insight into who I truly am and where I may want to travel in life. I gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of my personal strength and independence while on the journey. I left with a TBC community that supported me through thick and thin and who has continued to support me despite the fact that we are spread throughout continents. I returned to Loyola and now miss the rigors and expectations of the TBC professors. I live with the hope that I can one day return to a country that I once new nothing about, and I strongly recommend that anyone looking for an academically rigorous and intensive program that encourages cultural immersion and supports you with a plethora of activities planned by the student development office attend TBC. If you are willing to take the leap, this is a transformative experience.

Life Changing Semester

I wish everyone could experience a semester at The Beijing Center. I not only learned so much about Beijing, China and the Chinese people but I learned even more about myself. As a result of my semester abroad I am more outgoing, confident, and have a better idea of my values and goals in life. I grew immensely through the challenges of living life in a country that before I went I knew little about especially Chinese language! TBC Staff are so helpful and I will be forever grateful to them for opportunities to learn and grow that they provided me.

Such a GREAT program and experience

The Beijing Center is such a unique and amazing program. Unlike other study abroad opportunities, it combines cultural exploration with academic courses to push students to fully immerse in the local environment. This is not a study abroad where you do not learn anything, or take classes that will not transfer or apply to your area of study back home. I received full credit for all the courses I completed AND they all counted towards my major--not just all general studies. The tours and trips arranged by The Beijing Center are world class, well thought out, and honestly spectacular. I learned so much about myself and the country throughout my trip. Socially, the center boasts both US students and an array from international communities. It was the best four months of my life!

Great Program

This is a great program! You'll travel a lot, learn a lot, and have an enormous amount of fun. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to jump in and learn about China. It is really the way to go to both have fun and learn a lot.

Spring Semester 2013

I went this program knowing no Mandarin and no other people on the trip. I learned how to survive speaking Mandarin by the end of the trip and made friends that I keep in touch with from America and China. This program provides the learn the opportunity from the Chinese about Chinese culture, language and beliefs. I wish I had the opportunity to stay longer and do another TBC study abroad program.

One of the Best Experiences of My Life

Everything about this program is incredible: the people, the academics, the environment. If you want to know more about China or even experience something completely different, TBC is the way to do it.

First Time Leaving North America

Felt envigorated to study and travel with students who were also open-minded and extremely bright. The program's diverse trips and classes made me feel fulfilled while enriching my experience in my new home of China. And, I went back right after graduation. During that time, I met up with five other TBCers (current friends still) in Asia. I would absolutely recommend this trip to anyone looking to bust out of their comfort zone and find new personal potential for openness, learning, and growth.

非常好

I was specifically interested in the language component and TBC did a fantastic job. I was there for one semester and when I went back I was able to skip a level! Studying Chinese in China is so much better - its amazing how much my speaking improved and how little I actually knew!

Stay a second semester!

I had briefly been to China before and was excited to go back on my own and enhance my language skills. TBC was the perfect match, I was able to improve my language skills and still take other classes so I would not fall behind back home.

Would do it again!

TBC was an amazing experience and pulls students from around the world with the same values, interests and with a like-minded curiosity for studying abroad and pushing their limits. Not only did I travel, study, and live with incredible individuals, TBC also gave me a unique opportunity to really immerse myself in the culture and language - forming bridges through incredible excursions around the country and by creating opportunities to engage and interact with local Chinese students. Aside from the great people attracted to the program, in my experience TBC has an exceptional academic staff as well as considerate and proactive program staff.

By far my most transformative semester of college

I'm so glad I took the leap and studied abroad at TBC. Everything about the program is top notch from the professors to the support from the student life team. This is not a four month vacation abroad, it is an intensive academic and cultural immersion program. I encourage anyone who is up for the challenge to study at TBC because you will be greatly rewarded for all your hard work.

China Green Trip

I went on the China Green trip in 2013 and it was the best experience I've ever had. I loved the professor and all of my classmates. We learned so much and explored a lot of really cool areas. It was so valuable to my education and growth as a person.

Beijing

An excellent study abroad experience that you will likely never get another opportunity to encounter. The two trips during the study abroad fully immerse you in the culture and provide you with exciting once in a lifetime experiences. When else are you going to camp out and ride a camel in the Gobi desert, climb the Great Wall of China, or kayak on the Li river. This study abroad is truly a life changing experience.

Two Semesters In Beijing!

During 2011-2012 I spent my entire junior year studying abroad at TBC. It was a phenomenal year, and I highly recommend the program. My academic work was challenging, but rewarding. Living in the heart of Beijing allowed me to explore the city and the excursions gave me the opportunity to see all of China.

Life Changing

TBC helped me to realize what a true balance is between school and enjoying life. The highlight of my entire college experience was my time in China. I was able to make an amazing group of friends through the program, people who were more open minded and adventurous than most I had met before. I was also able to eat amazing food, daily and for cheap, and shop and explore without breaking my savings account. I learned more than I ever thought I would in one semester, and to this day two years later I still reference my time abroad in my conversations with people. It also looked amazing on my resume and helped me get the job I'm in right now.

The Best Study Abroad Experience Ever

TBC is hands down the best study abroad experience out there. I studied in Beijing for five months in 2005 and it was one of the most enlightening, fulfilling, and personally rewarding experiences of my life. This program offers not only high quality academics (I took Buddhism, intensive language studies, Ancient Chinese History, and Traditional Chinese Medicine) but a large part of the program consists of active learning with academic excursions. The staff were incredibly friendly and supportive and I made some great friendships which persist to this day, as like-minded adventurous people gravitate to this program. If you're looking for a semester to relax and vacation, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a fantastic cultural experience, opportunity to make great new friends, and a chance to learn about yourself, TBC is it. I recommend the intensive language program (with no prior Mandarin experience, I could speak basics by the end of the semester). The only downfall of this program is that it couldn't last forever!

Best semester in college

Absolutely loved the program. The friends I made through the program and the trips we were able to take are still some of the best memories I have. It's been 5 years since my study abroad semester and I still reflect on the time I spent there. Great program, great glasses, great support system and absolutely wonderful campus/time spent in Beijing!

Amazing Opportunity

TBC is a great organization. Staff and faculty are all local or have lived in and studied China for years, which is much better than going to one of those large companies that have locations around the world because they know China intimately. The staff supports you and works hard to ensure you feel comfortable, safe, and experience everything.

Amazing China

Experience was great, the traveling and culture was amazing to experience. The program immersed you into all the different aspects of China. Classes arent that hard and good for learning about China. Traveling and talking to the chinese roommates is the best way to experience China!

Year-Long Adventure

This was a life changing experience that I don't for one second regret! I attended TBC for my entire junior year. The two excursions really allow you to see all of the different aspects of China and broaden your horizons. The people who join this program are truly amazing and I still stay in contact with them today. Highly recommended if you want to see a part of the world widely unknown by many Americans and really grow as a person!

Beijing Spring 14'

Great program with a staff that cares about each student. TBC provides all the tools for students to immerse themselves in the culture, as long as he or she makes the effort.