The orphanage we work with is home to 50 children between the ages of 2 and 9. The children are split into two groups. The baby class has approximately 40 under-4s and the kindergarten usually has 10 pupils. The two-to-four year olds are taught the basics of identifying letters and numbers. Those aged 4 to 9, meanwhile, are being prepared for elementary school and are taught to read, write and do simple mathematics. All pupils are taught English.
The program, in its role as the children's legal guardian, also takes care of their medical needs, such as conducting tests for HIV, and treating children for flu, malaria, TB and other conditions. Volunteers in Tanzania interested in working with children are urgently needed at the orphanage. No prior experience is necessary.
Another dimension to this volunteer work in Tanzania is to find within the community, prospective sponsors to finance individual orphans' elementary school education. Volunteers in Tanzania can also help with sponsoring Children. With the help of our sponsors, 10 students have graduated from the orphanage and gone on to elementary schools since 2008. For these youngsters, provided they work hard, their future looks bright.
* Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organisation that provides fun, rewarding, safe and affordable volunteering opportunities in developing countries around the world.
* Since Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organization, it is one of the most affordable ways to help out in a developing country while being immersed in the local culture.
* Volunteers stay with host families. The volunteer rooms are comfortable and may be shared with one or two other volunteers in Tanzania. Accommodation is usually within walking or cycling distance of the project or a short bus ride away.
* Having flown into Kilimanjaro International Airport, or having arrived by bus at Arusha's Central Bus Station, volunteers are picked up by our partners. They receive an introduction to all of our partner's projects, are helped to settle in. This includes help with orientation around the towns of Usa River and Arusha and with the purchasing of various essential items such as mobile phones, food, as well as with the location of internet cafes. Support staff are on hand 24/7. Orientation can also include some Swahili lessons, if desired.
* Volunteering in Tanzania during the weekends is possible alongside local teams or you may visit orphanages where the children will be delighted to be entertained. Otherwise, this is your time to relax, perhaps just chilling at home or you could arrange to explore Arusha or travel further into Tanzania. Extended weekends can be easily arranged to allow for safari trips, if so desired, or expeditions farther afield.
1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (High School)
Typical Duration of Program
inquire for dates
Cost in US$:
Prices as low as USD 315 for 2 weeks.
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Written materials abroad
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
Includes accommodation, food, an airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
- Academic Reinforcement
- Community Centers
- Curriculum Planning
- Disability Issues
- Health Care
- Population Issues
- Primary Education
- Sports Volunteering
- Street Kids
- Youth Development
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad