The orphanages, where volunteers are placed in Senegal, house children aged 0-12 years. Some have been orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS, while others have been taken off the streets or were abandoned at birth. By supporting the overstretched orphanage staff, volunteers in Senegal provide much needed assistance.
Among the orphans are many who suffer disabilities; many will have endured suffering from an early age. The volunteer's contribution can help bring a brighter future for these children. Volunteer opportunities in Senegal include teaching school-age children, counseling, helping to cook, feeding the children, cleaning, and devising and organising fun activities and recreation.
Volunteers in Senegal are instrumental is ensuring that the orphans in their care are well looked after, that they adhere to a routine and carry out their homework.
* Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organisation that provides fun, rewarding, safe and affordable volunteering opportunities in developing countries around the world.
* Since Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organization, it is one of the most affordable ways to help out in a developing country while being immersed in the local culture.
* Volunteers electing to go to Senegal have the advantage of staying with local Senegalese host families for the duration of their stay. Accommodation of this sort provides a unique opportunity to experience first hand what life is like for the ordinary people of the country, while gaining an insight into customs and values. Another benefit is having members of the host family on hand to offer help and to introduce you to the local area. Your host family will provide you with breakfast and dinner (and with three meals if you are at your accommodation during weekends).
* The format of the orientation depends on your arrival time. Most volunteers in Senegal tend to arrive in the evening. In this case, the orientation begins the following day with a talk at the volunteer house or local restaurant about the country, security, transport, the project and local health issues. You will be taken to the local town and shown around places of interest such a supermarkets, internet cafes and restaurants. You are also given time to change money, buy bottled water, snacks etc. If time allows, you will be taken to the project and have project orientation the same day.
* Volunteering in Senegal during the weekends is possible or you may visit orphanages where the children will be delighted to be entertained. Otherwise, this is your time to relax, perhaps just chilling at home or you could arrange to explore the local town or travel further afield. Extended weekends can be arranged to allow for safari trips, but remember our local team need plenty of notice.
1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (High School)
Typical Duration of Program
Cost in US$:
Prices starting at USD 400 for 2 weeks.
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Written materials abroad
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
Includes accommodation, food, an airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
- Academic Reinforcement
- Community Centers
- Community Development
- Curriculum Planning
- Disability Issues
- Health Care
- Population Issues
- Primary Education
- Street Kids
- Youth Development
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad