Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Working with Children in Nairobi, Kenya

I’ve never felt so welcomed into a new community so quickly

Visiting Kenya was my first time visiting Africa, and my first experience of a volunteering project on this scale, so naturally I had some apprehensions before the trip. Never has a truer word been spoken when I say these worries all melted away on arrival at my volunteer house with the Love Volunteers local team. I’ve never felt so welcomed into a new community so quickly.
Both the local team, and the other volunteers at the house were some of the best people I have ever met. And then there were the children. Safe to say they grabbed my heart.

I had the opportunity to visit a few different projects Love Volunteers work with, including schools and orphanages, and saw the real difference that LV volunteers have made to the lives of hundreds of these children, both in local schools and through the awesome work that has been done and continues to grow in the SIDP camp.

Together, the Love Volunteer local team and the volunteers do incredible work to give these kids a chance in life, and I can’t wait to get back to Kenya, and do what I can to support these awesome projects!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 21, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Hi Emma,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Many other volunteers share your anxiety prior to their placement and it's always wonderful to hear how the worries just "melted away" on arrival.

Our local teams are indeed amazing at what they do and we are so pleased to hear you praise them so highly.

We would love to have you back on the team in Kenya in the future!

The team @ Love Volunteers

Three weeks of joy and true happiness

To volunteer in Kenya was my first independent decision at the age of 18, and a big one I must say. I dreamed of going there and my friends were interested in joining me at first, but later I realized that my desire was bigger than anyone else's, so I decided to go by myself.

Undoubtedly, the very first feeling I had when I confirmed participation in the program with the Love Volunteers was some kind of scepticism because I didn't know that much about the organization and the way I could help them. But everything became clear when I was warm-heartedly greeted at the airport by two members of the Love Volunteers local team. From that moment I had three weeks of joy and true happiness with children from the orphanage, local people and lovely young and wise volunteers as well!
So, as every challenge, traveling alone to Africa is a thing which definitely worth trying!

I would like to thank David Wakogy, Maria, Izzo, Jozeph Wanguch - from Kikuyu (Kenya); Matthijs, Manou - from Belgium; Maryana - from Colombia; Jacquelyn, Jaime - from the USA, Karim from Lebanon, and Laura from Australia, Grace from New Zealand, and Johny Bw-obbasa with his family (Kenya) - you are the people who inspired me to learn English! :) And of course, you are great people! With the deepest LOVE!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 21, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Dear Alexander,

What a brave and selfless decision you made going to Kenya alone at 18...and what a truly rewarding experience this was for you!

Many of our volunteers are young, like yourself, and travel alone and it's just wonderful to see how committed they are to helping the local people and to giving freely of themselves. Like you found, you get so much back in return.

We wish you all the very best for the future and thanks for being an awesome Love Volunteer!

The Team @ Love Volunteers