Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Working with Children in Ghana

I learned so much about myself and my world!

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

“A few months ago, I took a blind leap, not knowing what to expect, and signed up to volunteer in Ghana for 2 months with Love Volunteers. I had never volunteered overseas and had never been to Africa. I was placed by the LV local team to work with children at Cherubs Orphanage. To say that this experience had a profound effect on my life would be insufficient. I learned so much about myself and my world!

First and foremost are the people of Ghana. Their genuine friendliness and kindness are overwhelming! I travelled alone but I never, ever felt alone or scared. If I got lost, I just needed to ask the first person I saw and they would stop whatever they were doing and walk me to my destination! My host family, my new friends, the local community and the orphanage accepted me with open arms and I dove right in! I felt so comfortable and loved!

Volunteering at Cherubs Orphanage was a challenge. Admittedly, there were times when I doubted my effectiveness but then I would look the other direction and become overjoyed by what I saw. The children showed such resilience against such extreme odds. A simple game of patty-cake gave them so much joy! It was inspiring! It was so satisfying and much-needed! The children and their amazing teachers were so grateful! I love them so much for being who they are and for giving me much more than I gave them.

Now a word about culture shock. Ghanaian culture is very different than my culture. There is an abundance of what I initially felt as chaos but after a few days of adjusting, I found their culture to be one of simplicity. It was so refreshing and enlightening. We Americans are so spoiled and take so much for granted. I always knew this to be true but now I know how that is true. I also know that it doesn't have to be that way. Ghanaians are happy people; Americans, not so much! The food is fantastic! It is locally grown and cooked to order (no fast food here!) It is very, very spicy and delicious! Lots of fresh fruits and veggies.

On weekends, I was free to travel and I took full advantage. I went to a monkey sanctuary, rain forest (with an awesome canopy walk!!), bead factory, Kente cloth weaver's shop, museums, cultural centers, castles, beaches, lakes, waterfalls, palaces, and marketplaces. I learned so much about Ghana - past and present.

Ghana is a relatively poor country so their needs are great. If you are able, I would highly encourage volunteering in Ghana. You will be made to feel at home and you will learn so much about yourself and the world. I will never, ever forget my experiences. It was beyond amazing and so gratifying. I made so many wonderful life-long friends and had so many fantastic experiences. These I will hold in my heart forever and ever. How can you ask for more than that?

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 28, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Dear Christine,

What can we say when you have said it all!

THANK-YOU

The Team @ Love Volunteers

Volunteering in Ghana!

Ghana is an extraordinary place! The people are generous, open-hearted, and helpful. Before volunteering there, I had not travelled to any African country. But now I know I'll surely go back to Ghana and also visit other countries.
Working with the children at the school and the orphanage was a very wonderful experience. In each case, I was really able (after a couple of days of getting used to everything) to sink my teeth into the work, and the kids (and staff) were really great. I won't forget the smiles, enthusiasm and warmth from the kids...they were so appreciative of the smallest of gestures: holding a hand, giving a hug, making up a silly song, or just simply listening to them. This was my third time volunteering, and I always feel that I get more than I give. It is true of Ghana as well.
Teaching English at the an elementary school and working some in an orphanage were wonderful insights into life in Ghana for some children and the challenges of poverty. Warm and hospitable, Ghanaians make you feel right at home! And the kids are simply the sweetest! In both environments, I felt I was adding something and was appreciated for my efforts. I spent most of my time in Kumasi, but I did get the opportunity to travel to the Cape Coast and Kakum National Park. All-in-all, volunteering in Ghana was truly an unforgettable experience.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review September 14, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Hi Kristen. Thank you for the wonderful review and for the recommendation of this project. Your efforts have been truly appreciated :)