Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Teaching in Monasteries in Nepal

It was epic!

Everything I expected both good and bad and much much more. I hope to return to Nepal to do more volunteering in the nearby future and to visit the monks I shared a home with for a short period of time.

In short, meeting these people, eating with them and teaching and living with them has restored my faith in the resolve of human beings and the No Excuses/No get out of jail free/No this pill will fix it clause. They are tough in mind and heart; they have been hit hard but persist.

They are no angels, but if you think about what they have been through, what they are still going through and how they natures and dispositions are still absolutely beautiful and calm, and you then compare it to what happens in first world countries over silly things, you realize there dam near close to angels. We get paid to help people in our countries, many of whom as we all know do not deserve it, in Nepal people do not ask you for help but I guarantee you they absolutely need and deserve it. Furthermore, the gratitude you receive after simple acts, will change your perspective on many values you once held dear.

There is no animosity between people only smiles. You do what you have to, to survive but you do not need to crush other races, religions, people and countries to do it. I think it’s important to realize that as a volunteer you have free reign on how you wish to help. If you are going over with the concept that you are going to change for example their core beliefs in order to change their lives, I assure you will be doing them a disservice. That is not volunteer work that is something entirely different and the world has endured enough of that. It’s just one of the reasons I would highly recommend LOVE VOLUNTEERS. The time is now to help. No excuses.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review May 05, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Dear Jerusha,

We are totally blown away by the perspective you have shared in this review!

It's so rewarding for us to hear from volunteers like yourself who are truly changed by and make a change from their volunteering experience - that's exactly what we set out to achieve.

Knowing that you will take this enlightened view on life back home with you and enrich your family and friends is all the more exciting!

Thanks for being such an absolutely awesome volunteer in Nepal and we hope to have you back on the team again in the future.

The Team @ Love Volunteers

The Love Volunteers team in Nepal was VERY HELPFUL and kind

We did our volunteer program in Namo Buddha Monastery. All the monks in the monastery were happy to host us. We shared a lot of memorable moments with them.

Our classes were English, Science and Computer but we definitely learned more from them than they from us. They showed us a simple and honest way to live in peace and harmony. I recommend this program to anyone who want to live this experience, and also get the opportunity to learn more about Buddhism. I also recommend to all the volunteer to get involved in all kind of activities that you could share with the monks, besides teaching classes, as these kind of opportunities create more connections with the children and teenagers.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 12, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Hi Maria,

Thanks so much for being an involved volunteer on this wonderful program.

Great advice for future volunteers about getting involved in the daily routine of the monks!

We wish you all the best for the future and would love to welcome you back on the team again sometime.

The Team @ Love Volunteers

Monastery in Nepal

We were in a monastery in Nepal for 2 weeks. The location was great as were the people here. Unfortunately, we landed there during the week of exams and the week of exam preparation. The first week we were able to teach more or less in a regular way, the second week we didn't teach, but we could help the students revise for their exams and we had to help during the exams of our own class. However, since we hadn't been around to prepare the exams themselves, this was not the easiest thing to help them with (in the case of one of the classes, we never even got to see the exam, so prepping the kids wasn't very easy). This place is fantastic and I would highly recommend it, but particularly for a short assignment, I would recommend avoiding exam week and the holiday week just after.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review September 14, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Hi Heidi. Thank you for the review of this program. We are glad that over all you enjoyed the experience and hope that you can join us again soon :)