Love Volunteers Header Image Love Volunteers Header Image

Teaching in Malawi

Fantastic teaching in Malawian schools

I had a wonderful time in Malawi - my work teaching children was really eye-opening and Love Volunteers made sure I was well-informed about my placement before I arrived. The local partner is such a great organisation, and they really need more funding, so I would really encourage anyone who wants to support a worthy cause and actually get something back from it in the form of a rewarding feeling, personal development and a new outlook on life, to apply and volunteer in Lilongwe! As a young female travelling alone, I felt totally safe in the hands of Urunji and Love Volunteers, being met at the airport and never left to fend for myself on public transport. I developed a friendship with another volunteer from Chile, a culture of which I hadn't experienced much, and it was a great opportunity for me to again learn about other countries and ways of life.
I had plenty of time to rest, as after teaching at schools in the mornings, I would come home to relax in the afternoons. I also had the opportunity to visit Lake Malawi and Liwonde National Park on the weekends, as well as Lilongwe Wildlife Sanctuary - these were all great experiences too!
Overall I would describe my experience as fun, developmental and important for the community.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review March 30, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Hi Devon,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to write this insightful review about your experience in Malawi.
    Fantastic to hear you felt completely safe at all times. Many of our potential volunteers are concerned about their safety when volunteering abroad and it's always great for them to be able to read about other volunteer's positive experiences.
    Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and all the best for the future.
    The Team @ Love Volunteers