Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Teaching English to Buddhist Monks in Thailand

Amazing organization

Love volunteers has been an amazing organization to work with. They were quick to respond to any and all concerns and were extremely useful in every way possible. I would highly recommend them. Volunteering in Thailand to teach monks was a bit daunting, however with love volunteers there are Facebook groups and the admin, Kelly, who are always willing to provide further information.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review August 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Hi Khad,

It's a privilege for us to play a part in placing volunteers like you in places where they can do so much good.

Thanks for the review and your kind words. Volunteering abroad can be daunting and it's great to hear that you were up to the challenge and made the most of your time.

All the very best for the future - come back and see us sometime :-)

The Team @ Love Volunteers

The best experience of my life

Volunteering in Chiang Mai to teach English to Buddhist monks has undoubtedly been the best experience of my life. I thought I would come here to teach, however I'm the one doing the most learning out of all my students. I have had a plethora of opportunities to learn about culture and Buddhism that a regular tourist would never have. I am eternally grateful for this experience. The Love Volunteers local team have been extremely helpful in every way and I am so appreciative of everything LV has done to make this happen!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review June 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Thanks Kelsi,

It's been our pleasure to pay a small part in allowing you to enrich the lives of the monks in Thailand.

We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay and learnt so much about the local culture and the monks way of life.

Thanks so much for taking the time to volunteer with us and we hope to have you join us again in the future.

The Team @ Love Volunteers

My experience as a teacher has been truly transformational.

Honestly, I was never interested in volunteering abroad. I never once thought how wonderful such an opportunity would be. But that changed a year ago. Last August, I met up with a cousin of mine for dinner. He was actively involved in volunteering and social work. In fact, he had set up his own NGO called Water and Toilets (WNT) to bring clean water and toilets to people in developing countries. Over dinner, he told me amazing stories about his volunteering projects and recommended that I volunteer abroad. At first, I was hesitant and anxious because I had never travelled abroad on my own. But after some reflection, I realized that beyond the initial uneasiness, it would be a very rewarding experience. Therefore, I asked him to suggest a reputable volunteer organization with great programs.

He recommended Love Volunteers, a fantastic organisation offering a multitude of volunteering opportunities. After reading many program descriptions on their website, I finally decided on the
Teaching English to Novice Buddhist Monks program in Chiang Mai. I am very passionate about teaching English and math, and thought that the experience would be mutually beneficial. After signing up, the Love Volunteers team were very efficient at processing my application, handing me important information and organising my volunteering program. Although I changed my dates a couple of times, the team was very patient and understanding. After I sorted out my dates, the team introduced me to their wonderful partner organisation. The coordinators were literally there every step of the way! They picked me up from the airport, organized my placement at a temple school, ensured that I was having a good time, and even gave me some delectable Thai food to try. They became my friends and I will miss them!

The local team introduced me to an eclectic group of passionate volunteers from around the world. I had some interesting conversations with the other volunteers, learnt a lot about and from them, explored Chiang Mai with them and cultivated some strong friendships. I look forward to meeting them in the future!

My experience as a teacher has been truly transformational. I was initially nervous about walking into a classroom with no experience, but these twelve days have taught me how to become an effective teacher. Tips from Todd and feedback from Panya, a teacher at my temple school, helped me develop better lesson plans and improve my teaching skills. The language barrier did pose some challenges, but with patience and a positive attitude I overcame them and was able to connect reasonably well with my students. I think (well hope) that they enjoyed my classes and benefited from them. One thing is for certain though, I benefited from the behind-the-scenes access to their temple. I witnessed morning announcements, prayers and meditation, and took part in some Buddhist activities. Such experiences enabled me to develop a greater understanding and appreciation of Buddhism and the way of life of monks.The education in temple schools is truly a marriage of mind and body!

I would like to thank Love Volunteers and their local partner for making this a reality, and would definitely recommend this program!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review May 11, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Dear Vighnas,

We're humbled by your high praise and can't thank-you enough for sharing such an insightful and touching review of our program in Nepal.

How you felt is exactly how so many volunteers feel about volunteering for the first time and it's so helpful for them to read an account such as yours and see the benefits that come from volunteering - both to themselves and to those they help.

I can assure you that your lessons were very much appreciated by the young monks! Well done for overcoming the challenges that seem so big but, in hindsight, turn out to be chances to learn and grow.

All the very, very best with your future endeavors and please do come and join us again :-)