Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Teaching and Assisting in Schools in Honduras

A truly amazing experience

After a month in Honduras with Love Volunteers I would like to share with you my amazing experience. The goal of this project is to create opportunities for children by cultivating within them English abilities, Spanish literacy, computer knowledge, and a love of one another. The beginning was a little bit hard for me; I missed my family, my friends, my home. In addition to this, I had to get used to the heat, the cold water in the shower, the tap water that we can't drink - quite simply, another way of life. But when I met the children, everything was perfect. They are so welcoming and always want to learn more and the other volunteers are all really nice. I lived in a house with 4 other volunteers and we all got along really well. Almost every weekend we organized a trip to a different place in Honduras. This has been a truly amazing experience and the only thing I regret is that I wish I could have stayed longer! Ps. The picture shows how such a little thing like a balloon can make the children very happy.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review June 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Hi Emma,

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful experience volunteering in Honduras.

I'm so glad you mentioned the cultre shock and how difficult it can be to acclimatise to a way of life that differs in so many ways from our own. Cold showers and missing friends and family are part of parcel of travelling abroad and it's really helpful for volunteers to know this in advance so that they can prepare.

It's so fabulous to here that these challenges and inconveniences faded into insignificance when you were faced with the joy you could bring to these children and we are so thankful that you gave of your time and effort in this way.

Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and all the very best for the future!

The Team @ Love Volunteers