The program takes underprivileged children out of the settlements and off the streets and teaches them valuable life lessons in the form of sports, adventure activities, team work and educational classes. The program is run as a weekly extramural activity for a disadvantaged school with the main focus on surfing, adventure activities and sport such as sandboarding, mountain hikes, swimming, soccer, team building, computer classes, workshops and beach clean ups.
Volunteers will work 3-5 days a week with the children. Mornings are spent either learning to surf, helping in a school or relaxing on the beach and the afternoons are spent with the kids teaching them to surf or one of the above activities. Every Saturday is a full day of activities with the children. Volunteers will also have a chance to learn how to surf with an instructor and have use of the boards on their off days.
Information about the children/schools:
- Most of the children can speak English yet their home language may be Afrikaans or Xhosa.
- The children live in townships
- Children in the program range from 12-14yrs.
- Children are split into 4 groups of 5-20 children that will be part of the program every week.
- School starts at 08:00 and closes and 13:30/14:30
- There are normally 30-40 children in a class with 1 teacher.
- Many of the children do not pay school fees so the schools funds are stretched and any assistance is welcomed.
* Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organisation that provides fun, rewarding, safe and affordable volunteering opportunities in developing countries around the world.
* Since Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organization, it is one of the most affordable ways to help out in a developing country while being immersed in the local culture.
* Adventure and Surf volunteers will be accommodated at backpacker accommodation or a volunteer house close to the beach. The accommodation is always safe and secure and you will always be placed with at least one other volunteer. Bedding is provided, but we recommend that volunteers bring their own sleeping bag. Toiletries, towels and any personal hygiene equipment are the volunteer's responsibility.
* Orientation is compulsory and necessary to prepare you for your stay in South Africa. Introduction to our partner's office, South Africa, program rules, travel opportunities etc will be covered. The orientation will also give you a chance to meet other volunteers.
* Depending on the program, weekends are generally free and volunteers will have time to relax or explore other parts of Cape Town and South Africa. Most volunteers who are placed at homestays book in at the volunteer house over weekends (for a fee) to meet up and enjoy the city life. Long weekends can be taken if volunteers need to go on safaris, or travel to places further away such as the Garden Route.
1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (High School)
Typical Duration of Program
1st and 3rd Monday of each month
Cost in US$:
Prices starting at USD 400 for 2 weeks.
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Written materials abroad
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
Includes accommodation, food, an airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
- Health Education
- Popular Education
- Sports Volunteering
- Street Kids
- Youth Development
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
- Group living
Independently or in Groups
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad