Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Healthcare and Medical in Sri Lanka

A fantastically worthwhile experience!

During February and March 2016 I traveled to Sri Lanka for eight weeks with Love Volunteers for my medical elective. I spent four weeks in the private Hemas Hospital in Colombo and four weeks in Passara District Hospital, a remote government hospital in the central hill region an hour public bus ride from Badulla. The experience was one I will never forget. I spent the weekdays working in the hospitals, observing doctors and practicing skills, while the weekends were spent traveling across the beautiful country that is Sri Lanka.

The hot and hectic atmosphere of Colombo contrasted quite significantly to the quiet and rural hills that surrounded Passara District Hospital. During my time in Sri Lanka I lived in volunteer homes in Colombo and Badulla, enjoying home-cooked authentic Sri Lankan food and the company of the families I was staying with. I had chosen to travel to Sri Lanka by myself, which, although initially daunting, I found to be an enlightening experience. I was helped along the way by the local volunteer coordinator and his wonderful family so I never felt truly alone.

Overall I had a fantastic experience, I learned a great deal about Sri Lanka, not just its healthcare but also its deeply interesting culture, history and friendly people. I would recommend Love Volunteers and Sri Lanka to anyone looking to travel to a rich and colorful country and participate in fantastically worthwhile experience!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 05, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this insightful review into volunteering in beautiful Sri Lanka.

It's always such a pleasure reading reviews from volunteers like yourself who are prepared to learn and grow themselves as much as they are willing to help others.

All the best for the future and thanks for being an awesome Love Volunteer!

Sri Lanka medical volunteering

This experience was a once in a lifetime opportunity to engage in the culture, religion and everyday lifestyle of the Sri Lankan community. I was able to learn about the healthcare system provides and participated in clinics and hospital work for the time I was there. The home stay was beyond amazing because it gave me the chance to see how the locals live. I can't emphasize enough how rare and outstanding this program is! I was well taken care of and supported by the team throughout my stay.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review July 13, 2015 at 4:48 AM

Hi Sara. Thank you for the excellent review and the wonderful recommendation. We are thrilled that you had such a great experience with us in Sri Lanka, and we hope you can join us again real soon! :)