Volunteers can choose to assist in educational institutions such as primary and high schools as well as pre-primary and creches. Many volunteers enjoy working with local children and assisting in areas where there is often lack of resources such as toys, books and sporting equipment.
Volunteers help to implement a comprehensive approach to policies and programs for children from birth to nine years of age with the active participation of their parents and caregivers. Within the local community home-based creches are established by unemployed women. The majority of these women have never received any kind of formal training in Early Childhood Development, and their establishments' resources are generally very limited.
Duties vary and include feeding, playing and teaching, helping with preparing meals and making educational toys and learning aids. Some activities may involve assisting with cooking and helping out with tidying up. Volunteers need to be flexible and willing to help wherever help is needed. It is also important that they understand the local community situations and the local challenges associated with these types of placements. Volunteers must be able to take initiative in assessing the needs at the creche.
A love for children and lots of patience are very important. In the areas where Xhosa or Afrikaans is mostly spoken the volunteer would need even more patience as most of the children cannot speak English. The language barrier is not really a problem as the kids are very eager to learn and one just needs extra patience with them. A willingness to help in other areas of the project would also add value e.g. upgrades to the facility, finding creative ways to make learning aids/material.
During school holidays, volunteers have to inform us whether they would like a holiday program during their placement. All projects prefer volunteers to arrange their own private travel plans during the school holidays, as travel and sightseeing during placement disrupts the program.
* Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organisation that provides fun, rewarding, safe and affordable volunteering opportunities in developing countries around the world.
* Since Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organization, it is one of the most affordable ways to help out in a developing country while being immersed in the local culture.
* Volunteers will mainly be accommodated with host families in the greater Cape Peninsula area. Volunteers who choose an education placement will either be accommodated with host families or at a volunteer house in the city centre. The volunteer house is dormitory accommodation and while we do out best to ensure your preference between the two options, we can't guarantee where you will be housed. It is important to note that all homestays are located at least 30-40 minutes from the centre of Cape Town.
* Orientation is compulsory and necessary to prepare you for your stay in South Africa. Introduction to our partner's office, South Africa, program rules, travel opportunities etc will be covered. The orientation will also give you a chance to meet other volunteers.
* Depending on the program, weekends are generally free and volunteers will have time to relax or explore other parts of Cape Town and South Africa. Most volunteers who are placed at homestays book in at the volunteer house over weekends (for a fee) to meet up and enjoy the city life. Long weekends can be taken if volunteers need to go on safaris, or travel to places further away such as the Garden Route.
1-2 Week, 2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week, 3-6 Month
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Written materials abroad
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
Includes accommodation, food, an airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
- Academic Reinforcement
- Adult Education
- Community Development
- Community Health
- Curriculum Planning
- English Teaching
- Family Planning
- Primary Education
- Public Education
- Youth Development
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Independently or in Groups
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad