Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Community Development Project in Bosnia

It’s a life experience

Being a Love Volunteer in Bosnia was an amazing experience. Having their local team host me made it even greater. I met inspiring people from the staff, local and international volunteers, and local people. Along with a friend we had the chance to run our own project and to benefit from the support of many different people around us. Moreover, during my eleven-month placement there, I had opportunities to participate in many diverse activities including French and English classes, creative and recreational activities for children, a film festival and of course all the annual activities (Halloween, New Year party, anti-racist day and summer camp). I definitely improved my organizational and interpersonal skills but the whole experience is so much more than just developing competencies… it’s a life experience.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 21, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Hi Clare,

Wow, what an amazing impact you had in Bosnia! Thanks so much for using your initiative and for committing such a wonderful amount of time and effort to this worthwhile program.

All the best for the future!
    The Team @ Love Volunteers

I highly recommend Bosnia and Love Volunteers!

When I began my volunteering experience, Bosnia and Herzegovina was a country I previously had little knowledge of. The times I would inquire with friends and family here in Canada I received only vague statements about the ‘Winter Olympics’ and ‘a war in the '90s’. There had to be more to it than that. This curiosity is what drove me to sign up with Love Volunteers and it has to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Upon my arrival in Brčko (my new home) I was immediately welcomed by local staff and fellow volunteers and before I knew it was a part of this new international family. During my stay of one month I had the opportunity to work with people from many age groups, from little kids learning the months of the year to adults practicing advanced English.

The scheduling system was very flexible and the volunteers had a great deal of freedom based on their interests and what they wanted to share. My personal contributions included music, dance, English and German language classes.

Before I knew it my time in this wonderful country had come to an end and I only wish I could have stayed longer. To anyone considering volunteering for any period of time, I highly recommend Bosnia and Love Volunteers!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 21, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Hi Evan,

Thanks so much for your recommendation of our wonderful program in Bosnia.

What an amazing impact you had on the program in the time you were there and it's great to hear about all the things you go involved in.

Thanks for sharing this information with other volunteers.

The Team @ Love Volunteers

One of the best summers of my life

I had the opportunity to work with Love Volunteers and their amazing team of staff in Bosnia. Over the summer we created and implemented over 40 arts and language workshops including: English, French and Spanish language classes for adults and for children and youth media workshops. We also facilitated the activities and classes for the week long children’s summer camp, hosted a Future Shorts Film Festival, developed the first issue of a youth magazine and created a stop-motion animation film.

It was an experience that I truly treasure, and was one of the best summers of my life. If you are self-motivated and excited to learn a new language (& learn to play samba), if you have lots of creative ideas and want to work with people that are giving, kind, and supportive then volunteer here! Thank you for such a wonderful experience!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 05, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Hi Barclay,

Great to hear you that you had such a great impact on the program in Bosnia!

What a difference your work will make to the local community. Thanks so much and we hope to have you join us again in the future.

All the best,
    The Team @ Love Volunteers

An amazing year full of freedom, creativity and wonderful people

What I really like about this program is that you get a lot of freedom there. Whatever is your idea about a workshop you'd like to hold, you are supported to do it. I led the arts and crafts workshop for children between 8 to 14 years, supported the English and German language courses and went once a week to a youth center in a poorer part of the town. The first half of my placement there were less volunteers around so it was a bit quieter, but this gave me the chance to integrate better and to learn the local language. In the second half of my voluntary service we were up to nine volunteers so we could plan and do bigger projects like the ‘fun day’ once a week, on which we played, did arts and crafts and made music the whole day on a certain topic.

I also really enjoyed living in Brcko, I think it's a very good place for doing your voluntary service. It is a small town and therefore you get to know people very easy and get the chance to feel at home quickly. In the summer months there were many concerts outside. In the winter there are less cultural activities to do but you could always find a nice person to drink coffee with, have nice talks and learn a lot about the history and society in Bosnia.

I'm really glad that I did my voluntary service in Bosnia and in Brcko, and I will always remember an amazing year full of freedom, creativity and wonderful people.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review March 22, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Hi Johanna,

It's always such a pleasure for us to read reviews such as yours and know that we've played a small part in sharing your generous spirit with parts of the world that need it most.

How enriched the children's lives have been by having your positive attitude and musical ability :-)

Thanks for sharing your experience and for making such a difference to the lives of people in Bosnia.

The Team @ Love Volunteers.