Volunteers work at a Biological Station carrying out field research and education in the tropical rainforest region of the upper Napo River in the Ecuadorian Amazon. The station includes a reserve of 2,000 hectares, of which 70% is primary forest and the remainder secondary growth.
Although its principal objectives are the conservation and protection of the natural environment, the centre also works on improving the health, nutrition and livelihood of the surrounding communities. An interesting activity of the centre is researching of non-timber products to provide alternative sources of income and developing of reforestation models.
Volunteers in Ecuador are involved in activities including experimental silviculture, botanical garden and agro-forestry extension programs; working at an educational farm for local communities; assisting on a handicrafts extension program which includes weaving and Tagua nut carving, delivering natural history courses; constructing rural schools, and developing fish farms, native fauna production, as well as fruit and vegetable horticulture.
Accommodation in shared cabins and 3 meals per day are included.
The following additional costs apply: transfers from Quito Bus Station to the Project - USD 34-37. Volunteers on their return to Quito must arrange their own bus or taxi journey.
* Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organisation that provides fun, rewarding, safe and affordable volunteering opportunities in developing countries around the world.
* Since Love Volunteers is a not-for-profit organization, it is one of the most affordable ways to help out in a developing country while being immersed in the local culture.
* Orientation commences directly after arrival firstly at the Spanish school in the Mariscal area of Quito. A tour of the area lasting approximately two hours will be led by the volunteer coordinator who will also give safety tips and general advice.
2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week, 3-6 Month
inquire for dates
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old at the start of their placement. Exceptions can be made for under-eighteens accompanied by a guardian. A knowledge of basic Spanish is also a pre-requisite, a more advanced knowledge being regarded as extremely helpful. No matter what your level of Spanish, it is recommended that you sign up for the very affordable Spanish courses offered by our partner.
Cost in US$:
2 weeks starting at just USD 510
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Written materials abroad
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
Includes accommodation, three meals a day, an airport pick-up (if required), orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
- Biological Research
- Global Warming
- Population Issues
- Tree Planting
- Wildlife Surveying
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad