LoPair Au Pair China Program participants LoPair Au Pair China Program participants

Working with Chinese Children through LoPair Au Pair China

Au pair in Beijing

This programme is great. Its the single best way to get to China for an extended amount of time for the least amount of money, especially as someone just out of school, or still studying for a qualification. I spent 3 months living in Beijing with an amazing family and an adorable child. I had plenty of time to explore the city and my mandarin improved significantly also. To the degree that i left with a internationally recognised qualification at the end of my time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes travel and adventure, as well as who likes working with kids.

LoPair - Au Pair life in Beijing

Hello there,
My name is Tom, I'm from Germany and I just spent the last 6 months in Beijing.
The time in China will always be present in my memory for it gave me so many
interesting impressions and experiences.
For instance you get to know a new culture, in some ways radically different than
what you might be used to. And unlike vacation you have the opportunity to live
with an indigenous family, so you can experience everything 'first-hand'.
What also contributed greatly to my amazing time here was my host family.
They were super friendly and supported me in every way they could, treated me as
one of their own. Fortunately, my host parents could speak some English so
communication was almost never a problem.
Working with my host children was mostly fun, although Chinese children can be
really spoiled compared to what I was used to. On the other hand they just
come home at 4pm despite being only 8 and 11.
Most of my free time I spent with other au pairs in Beijing (for there are many
in the capital). Talking, travelling, having class or simply sharing a meal
with people from all over the world made me really appreciate the opportunity
of this program. Since I was in Beijing there was always something to do,
whether it was the 798 art district or one of the numerous parks, or (at night)
one of the many fancy clubs in which you can get for free as a foreigner.
Coming to a completely unfamiliar country with no or almost no knowledge of
the language is a step which requires a lot of courage. So it is nice and
reassuring to have somebody you can contact when having all sorts of problems.
Whether it's something mundane like communication or something serious and you
really need to get out of a family. LoPair can help you with that. They also
provide language courses and culture classes to give you the means to get around
in your every-day life and to introduce you to the diverse Chinese culture.

Lopair- Au pair in Shenzhen

Hi.~
I'm Roberta, I'm Italian and actually I'm an au pair in Shenzhen . Shenzhen is a very big city and it's the most important economic centre in the Southern China. I define it as a city without a soul, because it's very new. So if you like Chinese history of art, I think it's not the city for you.
In any case, I'm really enjoying my time here in China, also because of my gorgeous host family. My host family is made up of six persons: mum, dad, Benjamin, Coco, grandpa and gradma.
Benjamin is almost ten years old and is an extremely active boy. He loves playing football and watching Harry Potter.
Coco is a sweet six years old girl, who loves watching films and playing "uno". Usually, during the day, I spend more time with the Coco, because Benjamin has a lot of training course to follow. Sometimes I think the Chinese families are really exaggerated and these poor kids don't have any time to play.
Anyway, I think my host family is amazing and they treat me like a member of the family.
I believe that being an au pair in China is an fantastic experience which make you grow up and become more indipendent, even if sometimes it's difficult, because the culture and some behaviours are really different from ours. But if you have any problem, Lopair can help you to deal with it.
Lopair also provide Chinese cultural class and Mandarin class which help you to communicate with the members of your host family and, in geral, with those people, who don't know English.
I really raccomended this experience with Lopair, because they really take care of their au pairs.

Shenzhen and Beijing

An amazing experience which quality depends on your open mindedness and sense of adventure. I have seen caves, spent two nights in a tent on the great wall, climbed challenging mountains, started meditating, stopped eating meat, learned some chinese and for better or for worse everyday has been an experience.

Lopair review

I had a wonderful experience as an au pair in China. I had a lot of trouble in my first month and Lopair did a great job in making sure everything was okay for everyone involved. I would recommend this program to one of my friends.

Seans Chengdu experience

Over all China has been very interesting. It has been great to see a new life style in the busy centre of Chengdu. I certainly wanted to experience a new culture and that's exactly what I got.
Some things I liked very much included but is not limited to the following.
The food! Yes the food is of varying spectacular. It helps that the family I was staying with enjoyed dining at a variety of different places. From traditional vegetarian Buddhist restaurants to European style steak houses, I'll surely never forget a glimpse in to the food culture I was fortunate enough to get a taste of.
Another thing was the people! Yes they are all very busy in this fast paced city life but I was amazed at the friendliness and what they get up to in their spare time. It was a favourite thing of mine walking past the riverways to see groups of people gathered around to watch a game of Chinese chess or to see groups of people dancing or practising some form of traditional martial art movement.

During this program if you put in the effort trying your best to get English into the daily life of your student then you will make a huge impact on their future. I hope my student/little brother Steven some day can work abroad and achieve great things.
I personally didn't get much of a social life because as this is a live in situation you can't stay out for long. The major off time you get is when your student is at school. I found it hard to maintain friends aswell as I was always wanting to walk somewhere new, I was solitary by my own choice during my free time. I found it a waste of time trying to keep in contact with people I met as they couldn't keep up my walking pace and I knew I wanted to see everything I could!
Honestly not many people spoke English here In Chengdu, I'm sure it's different on the more touristy east coast.
Lopair was a good program provider, I didn't talk to them much as I didn't have any problems but they provided me the paperwork for an extension visa with ease and always assured me they were there to help if I needed.
I'm giving health and safety a 10 because of controllable factors like a clean house and food. However you are in China, it is notorious for the Smog. I would not live in China due to this and probably don't recommend a stay over a year if you are from a non air polluted nation. I got the travellers sick bug in the first month. Not really avoidable If you are eating new foods with new bacteria that your body is not used to, you can't drink tap water or rain water here either. A big change.
That should give a realistic broad idea of the Lopair program. To sum it up it was awesome to experience a new place and grasp the chinese philosophy and help Steven with his English. I probably wouldn't do this again as I'm an adventure always after new ideas and places, but I'm glad I did it. If you are hesitant just sign up for 3 months and give it a go. Free flights, food, accommodation and the chance to help someone's kid out with English.

Great experience in Hanzhou, China

I lived out In Hangzhou, China for 3 months this summer. (I come from England). Overall I had a fantastic experience.
I arrived in July and the family immediately made me feel very welcome. They took me to the supermarket, offered to buy me toiletries etc that I would need to use at their home and helped me to settle into my room. They always made sure I had plenty of food to eat at dinner times and offered more if I was hungry!

During my first few weeks I managed to get myself lost a couple of times (which is expected in such a big country). However, both the family and staff at Lo Pair, were always very helpful in giving me directions.

Mandarin classes were very useful and I feel like I have learnt alot from them!

During my free time I was lucky enough to travel to Beijing where I climbed the Great wall! I also visited Shanghai. This was the highlight of my experience in China for me! There was so many things to do and see in Beijing, you will never get bored!

Despite having a great time, I did come across a few challenges; Obviously being outside of Europe there is a huge cultural difference.
I understand the host family's are rich and therefore can afford to have a nanny living in the apartment. However I did find it particularly frustrating that the nanny literally did everything for the family; laundry, cooking, bathing the children. On more than several occasions I offered to take the plates out to the kitchen after dinner and wash up/help the nanny out. I noted that the parents would literally leave the dinner table and expect the nanny to clean up after them. There were a couple of occasions I had to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself because I didn't necessarily agree with this way of life!
However this is my personal opinion and also a completely different cultural difference to the country where I have been raised in. I am not mentioning these points to be negative in anyway but more so, to make other people aware who are considering to come to China themselves, to prepare themselves for some cultural differences.

Anyway i will stop waffling now.. overall I have enjoyed my experience living in China and the programme is very good value for money (£700 for 3/6 months).

I have lots of memories and lots of photos to take back to the UK with me! :)

Being a Lopair Au Pair in China

I have spent the past 9 months as an Au Pair in China, specifically Hangzhou, a city not far from Shanghai, which is also home to the head office of the LoPair Agency.
Looking back now, I consider my experience as positive, which is why, in June 2016, I chose to extend my original 6-month program until September.
After I had made the decision to become an Au Pair in China, I contacted and worked closely with LoPair's German partner, AIFS. My application was finished mid-August 2015 and I was due to arrive in China 3 months later.
My Skype-Interviews with potential host families (2 families altogether; not many but consider Au Pair in China is still a small program and a lot of Chinese people aren't even familiar with the term "Au Pair" yet) took place in early October and I finally matched with my host family end of the month. In retrospective, the whole process was a little too short-dated for my taste, as I had only to weeks left to apply for my visa.
Now, for most other countries, this wouldn't be a problem, but German bureaucracy combined with Chinese official's arbitrariness when it comes to granting visa is not a good combination.
Long story short, I didn't get one for November. So AIFS/LoPair rescheduled my flight to December (because Orientation Days etc. are granted by Lopair upon your arrival and there's a common monthly arrival date for all Au Pairs).
So the next four weeks for me where filled with stress and contacting a visa service but also very kid support from AIFS program manager Christina.
Eventually, everything worked out and I arrived on December 15th.
The Orientation Days were enjoyable and informative and I got into contact with the other Au Pairs in my arrival group. Most of them eventually left to live in other cities, but apart from the information you get about Au pairing, child care, life in China and teaching English, it's an opportunity to meet new friends.
Teaching English to host kids, however, is the main purpose of the program, mainly because most host families have nannies or at least grandparents. And if you're informed about the stereotypes about Chinese grandparents, you know they like to be all over their kids 24/7. That's true.
So my daily routine consisted of mainly of picking the kid up from school, supporting him with his homework as well as I could (not much, because he is 9 years old and I don't speak Chinese, but again, the grandparents were there) and preparing English classes for him (we would study 1h a day). Recently, I also started teaching German. My host family always stuck to the schedule and gave me a lot of opportunities to have free time, which I am grateful for. However, living with a host family (thus living with your employer) kind of means being available most of the time (not necessarily to work but just to be around ), because it's abut giving and taking.
As a LoPair Au Pair, your first contact will be your Local coordinator, whom you contact incase there are any 'unresolvable' issues/ communication problems and they will try their best to support you. You can also ask them for help when it comes to trivial stuff, such as buying train tickets, ordering online etc.
I got to meet the people working at Lopair's head office and everyone is very kind and helpful.
Being in China, language barrier can be a problem though, because even if your English is fluent, your host family might not be. So there could be misunderstandings.
As I said before, I had a good time in China. Of course there were little bumps along the way, but luckily nothing grave and I felt supported all the time.Yet, one should certainly be prepared for a program like this. The culture shock is real, a lot less people than you expect actually speak fluent English and Chinese characters are a horror for non-native speakers. But it's nothing one can't master.

Au pairing in China

Au pairing in china wasn't easy for me as my family often just spoke Chinese to each other and didn't include me. When I was at home I often didn't have anything to do. And I often was on the receiving end of my host sisters anger towards learning English. Which resulted in being apart of a Chinese family a struggle. Their culture, so different to our own makes it difficult to get used to. However I learnt to stay positive and embrace the opportunity as well as standing strong to what I thought was not appropriate behaviour. During the day I always had free time which was great to meet with friends and sightsee however, between drop off and pick up of kids from school, there often wasn't a lot of time to do much. So you had a lot of time off but it was not convenient time to be able to travel much. I thoroughly enjoyed my Chinese classes and improving my Chinese. I loved to be so closely involved in the Chinese culture as hard as that was sometimes. I loved being an older sister and being able to watch her English improve everyday. But this program is not for everyone and often the days were hard when it is hard to be apart of a family that speaks another language.