LIU Global Header Image LIU Global Header Image

Costa Rica

Learning and Living the Life of My Dreams

This is my second semester with LIU Global and I can't believe how much it has already changed my life in a positive way. I feel like every aspect of this college has already allowed me to pursue a path towards my future career goals (being a translator) and dreams for my life. The beauty of this program is that it allows young individuals that are passionate about traveling, seeing, experiencing and learning about the world, and creating life-lasting, cross-cultural bonds to do so while getting their bachelor's degree.
The faculty is AMAZING! They are all incredibly kind, fun, and intelligent. One can see that they really care about the success of each student. Not to mention, I absolutely love my home-stay. I feel like I'm in my home-away-from-home. It's safe and comfortable. And the family treats me like I am a part of it. I see the whole faculty team, the student body and my home-stay family as part of my extended family. That might sound cheesy, but it's the truth.
The academics are rigorous but relevant and worth the time and hard work. One of the best parts about the program is that the professors are incredibly knowledgable, engaging AND approachable. If I am struggling with any assignment I know that I can go to my professors and they will work with me until I feel confident about how to move forward with it. I can't remember a time when I left a meeting with one of them and felt anything less than capable and motivated to produce a high-quality piece of work.
In general, all of the classes inspire me to learn more and push me to do my best. I reflect back on my experience so far with the LIU Global and I realize that I really am learning and living the life of my dreams!

Costa Rica, Pura Vida!

LIU Global's Costa Rica Center is simply amazing. I fully recommend this program if you are passionate about the world and learning through experience. I chose this school because I was interested in the learning style this school provides. I didn't want to go to a school where I would sit in a classroom for 45 minutes and just read and listen to lectures about global issues, I wanted to experience them. This school goes above and beyond my expectations of that. Class information is frequently paired with academic field trips so that you can see what you are learning about as you are learning it. Not only are there small classes for more individual attention you are surrounded by people who are passionate and knowledgeable and who you are able to have intelligent academic discussions with. I have never felt so comfortable and challenged in a academic environment and I don't think many other programs can offer that. This is a place where you are valued as a human and not seen as a student ID number.

Best Thing That Ever Existed.

Global College is an amazing experience and I have been so strongly thankful for it. I truly recommend it to every student who has a passion for learning about global issues and opening their horizons outside of the classroom setting. Although classes at the center are extremely interesting, I feel more empowered while at trips, learning and questioning cultural norms or what we've been taught and have assumed as a culture. I have been stretched emotionally and psychology and believe it is due to the love and caring attitudes of the professors and program structure. I highly recommend LIU Global and am looking forward to my future here.

Amazing

I am having the BEST time of my life here studying and learning not only the culture of Costa Rica but of Latin America as well. As a student who never really liked school I am the student now who is always at our school's center learning outside the class room an amercing myself in every aspect. The administration at the Costa Rica center is awesome! It is like a family they help us teach us and treat us like adults but will be there when you need to talk or need a shoulder to cry on. Our home stays are literally my family away from home they match each and every student according to their needs and everyone including myself could not be happier. Everyone is always trying to help each other and learn from one another and that in my opinion is what learning is about. I have had so many experiences already this year at this center that people will never get to experience. Learning abroad is the best decision I have ever made in my life. To me education is not about how many books you have read or A's that you got on research papers, an education to me is something you see, feel,hear,and taste.My classroom is the world I live in and Global College has given me that, and I am so grateful.

Pura Vida!

Being the only 4 year study abroad opportunity for students to receive their bachelor’s degree, LIU Global simply does not compare to any other college experience. Having experience at a typical medium sized university in Connecticut, I have seen an immense change in the way I learn and engage through LIU’s method of experiential education. This is a more hands-on approach to learning, as students are immersed in the field they wish to study. To me, this is as valuable as any experience gets, as you learn first hand instead of out of a textbook. In addition, over the course of 4 years, you learn your role as a global citizen. Studying in a foreign country, living with host families, learning the language, interviewing people of the culture all opens your eyes to new ideas and perspectives. These lessons are crucial in today’s world, as almost anything you study is affected on a global level.

Surreal.

First off, this school is real. 100 % accredited, it's not a scam--so no worries! Our school, LIU Global, travels to a different country (or countries) each year but our first year is always Costa Rica. First off, it's a small group. This can be both a good and bad thing. A good thing in the sense that it's family and it makes things alot easier administration wise. Plus you bond and who doesn't love snuggle puddles? A bad thing in the sense that because it's family and because you spend over half of your time here with each other, you kind of want to kill each other after a couple of weeks. However, the staff is very supportive and aware of the things that happen after the initial "honeymoon" phase is over. Okay, so Academics! This semester our mandatory courses are Latin American Studies, Freshman Orientation Seminar (this kind of like a community meeting class), Spanish, and Writing Seminar. Our electives are Holistic Health, Intro to Holistic Health, Gender & Sexuality, Intro to Gender & Sexuality, Environmental, Intro to Environmental, LLAC (Living Latin American Culture), and of course Independent Study Projects. I currently take Intro to Holistic Health and Gender & Sexuality. Although it's an "Intro" class we all learn the same thing & are in the same classes, the only slight difference is the workload and credits you receive. I don't think there is a day I don't learn anything in any of my mandatory classes or get something done. Sometimes, we complain about them because, after all, they ARE college classes. As for my electives, I love them with all my heart. In a recent trip with my Holistic Health class, we swam in a waterfall with an indigenous shaman as he performed a ritual. In Gender and Sexuality, our profesor Jacobo, not only is a great professor, but I don't think I've ever walked out of that class without laughing at least once. I don't take Environmental but I heard it's a very interesting class (they took a trip through the rainforest!) and have been on some LLAC activities (which are free) such as a poetry reading at a local Costa Rican university. Also, I have two friends who are doing Poi (fire-dancing) for their independent study projects. So, honestly the possibilities are almost endless as far as academics. Plus, the number of field trips and the quality of them almost speak for themselves. I mean tomorrow we're all getting ready to depart for a one-week Service Learning Project. There are a couple of different groups, some with sea turtles, organic farms, etc. As for me, I'll be with 5 other students staying at an indigenous community! Also, in just two-three weeks, we are planning a two-week field trip to Panama. How great is that?! Okay, next is the living situation. I know that a lot of you may have heard horror stories but fear not! Most of the problems I've heard had to do with miscommunication. For instance, some kids don't want to eat as much and telling their host families that they want to eat less without offending them is an example of a minor problem. Honestly, think of them as your other family. Just like family, it's not always pretty but at the end of the day they really care for you. And if you're lucky enough to have an adorably sassy abuelita like me, it makes the stay even better. Cultural immersion! Staying in your home-stay is a cultural immersion in it's own sense. However, cultural immersion here happens everywhere. Whether you're walking to school, ordering lunch, going to a club, taking a bus etc. Cultural immersion is definitely not a problem. The only thing might be that we spend most of the time in school but even then we have lunch, field trips, and free time to mingle. So, no te preocupas! Don't worry. Ah, the program administration. The staff here are like family. From your professors to the night guards, they are the best and are amazing at what they do. They care for your safety and health but aren't overbearing about it. They love to make jokes and honestly are just people. Because of the unique-ness of our program, things can be disorganized at times. However, the staff always pulls through and never have I ever heard them truly complain. Okay, so overall--this program is amazing. My experience here has been surreal. I remember countless times thinking to myself, "Is this my life?! Is this happening?" The cost to go here may be higher than other schools but it's worth it. A lot of us are getting support from scholarships or taking out loans but I know that each of us would make the same choice anyways. Of course, don't think it's ALL fun and games. We may be in Costa Rica, the land of pura vida but at times you will be tested. Once the honeymoon period ends, you'll be homesick, be up to your head with gallo pinto, and if you love spicy food like me--you'll be craving Sriracha BIG TIME. On top of all this, you'll be going back and forth between papers, field trips, classes, and trying find to hang out or just breathe. It'd be a lie if I said it wasn't a lot to handle. However, it'd also be a lie if I said I wasn't loving every second of it. This program might test you but all of its trials makes you stronger, not to mention a better global citizen. You learn so much and become much more aware of the world. If are even thinking about joining this program, I encourage you to reach out to the staff or students of this program. You'll quickly realize how passionate each and every one of us are. Why? Because this program is truly amazing.

Safety here is taken VERY seriously at the center and they go to all lengths to keep all the students safe. So, don't worry you're in good hands. As long as you use your common sense and listen to the staff, you'll be fine.

Social Life:
The latin machismo is here in Costa Rica as well. So, for the girls it can get annoying real fast. But no worries! If you just ignore them, it'll be fine. Plus you can always party, go to clubs, or meet people at the local university. As far as social life goes, you'll be with your classmates a lot but if you really want to meet people, it's not hard at all.

Best College Option Out There

This school is more than amazing, it beats regular university life in every way. You see the world through different perspectives and get experiences and more knowledge than you can accumulate in a classroom. It's an incredible way to spend your four years of undergrad and buffs up your résumé. It prepares you for an adventurous and prosperous life.