Linguistic Horizons Header Image Linguistic Horizons Header Image

Custom Internships - Sacred Valley of the Incas, PERU!

Viva Peru!

The best experience of my life, by far. You get to fully immerse yourself into such a rich and interesting culture, and expand your knowledge in your field! They really make sure that you are comfortable and safe, and that you don't leave without seeing everything that there is to see. I had the time of my life in Peru, and I know it wouldn't have been that way had I not gone through linguistic horizons!

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review October 21, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Gracias, Sarah! We look forward to having you in Spain next summer!

I want to go back!

Spending a month in Urubamba was such a treasure, but the time flew! After traveling there with Linguistic Horizons I could see myself returning to visit the Sacred Valley again. The program prepared me to travel on my own and I felt super safe the entire time!

Ready for adventure?

My experience interning in Urubamba was unique! I was able to explore fantastic places like Puno. In this island, we got the chance to spend the night with a local family. They were very kind and cooked for us some of their most representative plates with products that they had previously harvested!!! afterwards, we were able to wear their typical outfits, the dresses were so so beautiful and I even felt like I blended into their culture. I was able to "go out for drinks" and dance Andean music with the locals and other tourists while wearing my beautiful regional Peruvian dress. This experience allowed me to truly immerse myself and have some of the best memories ever. This is something not just to read about, but to experience by yourselves!!

Intern in the Sacred Valley with Linguistic Horizons

Explore Latin America's archaeological capital while interning with the Llama Pack Project. Not only did I see some of the most amazing sights of my life, I also learned about the lives of the people in the High Andes as well as the environmental and social importance of llamas. Peru is a must visit country and it is even better through Linguistic Horizons!

The valley, the mushrooms, the people

I think it is really hard to have accurate expectations when signing up for any abroad experience, but my 4 weeks in Peru were unforgettable. You truly can't go wrong in such a beautiful, humble place. My coworkers at the mushroom farm were both welcoming and forgiving of my elementary Spanish, and the family that my boyfriend and I lived with provided a wonderful home. I love the Sacred Valley, everything from gorgeous hikes, to Wednesday night salsa classes. I really hope to return sometime soon and visit the many friends we now have there!

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review October 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for sharing, Emily! We miss you already! Come back and visit your Peruvian familia pronto :)

Internship in Peru

Overall, amazing. The amount of time I spent there (6 weeks) was perfect, and allowed me to feel like Urubamba was my home. Quite a humbling experience living in a third world country, and I definitely returned to the States with a newfound appreciation for what I have. Met many amazing people from all over the world. My internship in the hospital was not what I had expected, as I was hoping to get trauma experience. The "hospital" more closely resembled a health clinic, and we as interns were not well-received by staff. On a brighter note, my time spent in the Andean Medicine Clinic was amazing and enlightening. Holistic treatment is not favored in the Western world, and it was quite an eye-opening experience to see, first-hand, that natural, holistic remedies work.

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review October 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Unfortunately, the hospital wasn't as we had hoped. We will be working on warming up the staff there for future interns thanks to your feedback. :)
    I hope between the good outweighed the bad during your time and that the Andean clinic and other trips and cultural activities made up for the less than friendly staff at the hospital!