Lead Adventures South Americahttp://www.lead-adventures.com/index.php
Mariscal Foch E8-42 Planta Alta y 6 de Diciembre Quito, Ecuador
Ecuador: Galapagos Islands
Typical Duration of Program
all year round
Island hop, volunteer and travel! All in one experience!
Conservation work on Santa Rosa Reserve, swim with sea lions on San Cristobal Island, meeting the giant Tortoises on Las Tintoreras, and adventure everywhere; this is a trip for the true explorer.
Everybody travels these days but not everybody will have an experience like this one. In fact we have very limited spaces and they fill up fast. Because this is one adventure not to be missed.
On this adventure you are going to get your hands dirty but we guarantee it will be worth it. You will be contributing to the conservation of one of the most wondrous and unique places on earth. As well as meeting new people and having the time of your life.
And when the hard work is done there will be plenty of time to explore the environment you are helping to save.
- Island Hop! Start at Espanola Island and enjoy natural wonder after natural wonder.
Be astounded by the immense blowhole, wonder at thousands of nesting blue-footed boobies, view the world's largest waved albatross colony. Then continue to Floreana Island and see flamingos in their natural habitat, enjoy Black Tortuga Bay on Sta. Cruz and witness a mangrove maze chock full of sharks, rays and sea turtles.
- Go diving in one of the most unspoiled location on the planet.
If you are a diving fan, The Galapagos is a unique, world-class diving location, especially if you like to see things the way nature intended them to be. This underwater world is still private, pristine, and relatively unexplored.
You will be diving next to sea turtles, manta rays, penguins, sea lions, dolphins, and numerous species of shark, including hammerheads and whale sharks. All fearlessness of intruders into their watery world, and willing to let you get up close and personal.
There are also hundreds of species of tropical reef fish, many of which are particular to this fantastic underwater sanctuary.
If never leaving your five star hotel and waving at the locals through cab windows is your idea of fun then do not bother applying for this one. If you think you this type of trip is for you. Fill in your application today before it is too late.
Week 1 - Santa Cruz/Galapagos Foundation Conservation projects
Week 2 - San Cristobal/Conservation Station
Week 3 - Isabella/ Isabella Tour Operator Volcan Sierra Negra, Volcan Chico, Las Tintoreras and more!
Included in your price are these amazing adventures
- Reception at the canal, visit los gemelos and primicias Station where you can watch Galapagos Giant Tortoise in their wildlife state.
- Visit the Charles Darwing Station and Breading Center Santa Cruz, night at Pto. Ayora.
- Take a trip to Tortuga Bay Beach, which is one of the most pristine white beaches you will see anywhere in the world.
- Tour through the Academy Bay. During the trip you can observe the diversity of the underwater world and, with a little bit of luck, see some of the bigger inhabitants of the ocean like marine turtles, white tipped reef sharks or manta rays.
- Work on an exciting project helping experts in diverse activities such as reforestation, eradication of the threat of foreign plants and care of animals.
- Meet and interact with the locals like you are one of them
- Travel to Isabella by speedboat; get to know one of the most picturesque Islands in Galapagos
- Visit the wall of tears
- Do the Tintoreras Islet Tour. From the Wharf you will board a speedboat that will take you for a ride around the bay or the small island of Las Tintoreras (white-fin sharks). From here you will be able to see penguins, sharks, blue-legged piqueros, pelicans, iguanas, and sea lions. There will be some time to snorkel (snorkel gear included) and you will be able to get a great view of the different variety of fish in the area.
- Take the Volcano tour; admire the beautiful landscape and the different lava formations produced by the most recent eruptions.
As part of your authentic Galapagos Experience some of your duties will be.
- Production of native and endemic species
- Reforestation with native and endemic species in the reserve and in local farms (collecting seeds, classifying seeds, nursery work, planting within the reserve or nearby reserve, help maintain reforestation lines, etc.)
- Removal of foreign plant species
- Production of compost and organic fertilizers
- Care of domestic animals
- Environmental education with local people and schools.
- Station maintenance (trail maintenance, sign elaboration for trails, basic construction activities, help clean fresh water supply, help in kitchen, etc.)
- Organic agricultural activities and vegetable production (help maintain and secure food production for the station).
- Guided hike throughout reserve and/or nearby related areas (learn about biodiversity themes, natural history, & ecology).
There are also mini-projects where volunteers can participate, but because of the amount of work that is needed at the station with the above mentioned projects, volunteers cannot dedicate entire days to the mini-projects. These include
- Petrels observation: nests finding, clearing around the nests to facilitate the mothers entrance, bird's behaviour.
- Fenology studies and flora inventories: observation and classification of native, endemic and invasive species.
- Birds observation at the reserve to determine if they are native, endemic or invasive.
- Germination Project: Determine the most effective method for germination in vegetable production and other species.
- Coffee production to see the possibility of exportation coffee.
No qualification is needed!
1,990 for 3-week program. Flight Quito-Galapagos 535 USD
- Flight from Quito to Sta. Cruz (if purchased through Lead Adventures at an extra cost)
- Pick up transfer on arrival from the airport at the beginning of your program
- Two nights in Quito on arrival
- Comprehensive Orientation in Quito
- Transfer from hostel in Quito to airport for the Galapagos flight
- Reception at the airport in Sta. Cruz (Baltra Canal)
- Accommodation and meals as described above
- Boat transfers: Santa Cruz-San Cristobal, San Cristobal-Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz-Isabella
- One night accommodation in a hostel in Quito on arrival from Galapagos
- Transfer from hostel in Quito to airport for international departure
- Activities described above
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Since its creation in 2004 LEAD Adventures has been extremely successful launching programs in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands and establishing mutually beneficial partnerships abroad. Our programs are targeted to young minded people from all over the world that want to experience the great destinations Ecuador and South America have to offer.
Internship in Lead-Adventures have been one of the best experiences in my life! It is just perfect for people who want to connect professional and personal development. In the company I learned how...More
Did you participate on a program with Lead Adventures South America?
Share your thoughts!