53 Whispering Way Stow, MA 01775 United States
Length of Position
4 weeks to 12 months
The four-week training course (approximately 140 hours) includes academic input sessions, 12 hours of observed teaching and 10 hours of observed teaching practice with local EFL students. The program is intense, interactive, and practical, and will give you the skills and confidence necessary to embark on a teaching career and work in a professional manner anywhere in the world.
The training center is situated in the center of Hania, Cretes second largest city (and former capital) on the North-West coast. Hania is a beautiful old Cretan town with a population of around 60,000. The old town center is clustered around the 14th century Venetian harbor where much of the citys life and light is to be found. The town is large enough to offer a cosmopolitan atmosphere and a ready range of nightlife and places to see, but small enough that its normally easy to get around on foot whether from the training center to your apartment or from the local shops down to the nearest beach.
The TESOL Certification Program includes:
- Four-week TESOL Certification course
- Job placement assistance
- All course materials and use of all training center facilities including internet access
Optional social excursions each weekend to some of the most fascinating parts of the island of Crete
During training, accommodations in a fully-furnished shared apartment are available. The apartments have a sea view and are located just 300 feet from a beautiful beach. Normally, either a private or shared bedroom can be arranged. Accommodations are paid in Euro, and are approximately USD 425 for a shared bedroom and USD 550 for a private bedroom. Meeting at Chania airport or the ferry port and transportation to accommodations is also included.
Intensive four-week TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certification Programs are offered in all LanguageCorps locations. The TESOL Certification Program gives you the skills and methodology needed to be comfortable and competent teaching EFL (English as a Foreign Language). While the particular details of the program vary in each country, all include approximately 140 hours of training, with a minimum of 6 hours of actual teaching practice. In addition to classroom instruction in effective EFL teaching principles and techniques, you will learn how to plan lessons, conduct effective classroom activities, and implement what you have learned in practice teaching sessions with local EFL students.
Job search assistance is provided during the four-week program, and, job placements have been very successful in all locations. Accommodations can be arranged in all locations for an additional cost. In some locations, local language training is either included, or can be arranged for a minimal charge. Please see the country pages you are interested in for specifics about the TESOL Certification in that location.
The Primary Qualifications for successful LanguageCorps Applicants include:
* Excellent native or native-level English speaking skills
* A valid and current Passport issued in your name. U.S. citizenship is not a strict requirement
* A level of maturity and flexibility to be successful living and teaching abroad.
* A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university is required for some programs.
LanguageCorps Teacher Profile
From our experience, we know that these are key factors that will make your overseas teaching adventure enjoyable and rewarding for you, and valuable for your students!
* You have a genuine interest in living and working in a different country and culture than your own
* You have the flexibility to adapt to new surroundings and new ways of doing things
* You are comfortable being the center of attention and curiosity
* You are a self-reliant, outgoing, charismatic person, who will be able to engage a classroom of eager students, and who enjoys interacting with new people
LanguageCorps teachers see themselves as true "global citizens". They are comfortable with, and excited about genuine intercultural exchange. They embrace opportunities to share their own culture with others, and to immerse themselves into new and different worlds.
- The cost includes all of the above.
- The following are not included:
* Round-trip airfare to host country
* Personal expenses (meals, entertainment, local transport, living expenses, and personal shopping)
* "Upfront" costs following the training period, such as apartment security deposits and first month's rent
* Visa costs and fees
Today, Greece is one of the largest TESOL/TEFL teaching markets in the world. With over 6,000 language schools (including many on Crete itself), the massive demand for qualified native English speaking teachers allows a wealth of teaching opportunities. Salaries typically range from the equivalent of US$650 - $1,000 per month, which should be enough to live on comfortably. Some teachers also supplement their income with private English lessons.
American, Asian, Australian, Canadian, European, Kiwi, South African and Worldwide Participants.
LanguageCorps' mission is to offer participants a rewarding experience living in, working in, and learning about a new culture; affording them a unique opportunity to learn and apply new skills and challenging them to develop a wider perspective about the diversity of cultures and populations around the world.
I wanted to say that this experience has been wonderful, but above this, the people at LanguageCorps are very concerned about the well-being of the participants, and about promoting positive interc...More
Did you participate on a program with LanguageCorps?
Share your thoughts!