La Casa Learning Center Header Image La Casa Learning Center Header Image

Teach English in Palestine

Daniel Moses- University of Oklahoma Graduate Student

In the summer of 2015 I had the privilege of volunteering as an English teacher at La Casa Learning Center. This being my third time to volunteer or study abroad, I was expecting an educational experience that gave me insights into Palestinian culture. What I experienced during my two months in Hebron exceeded this expectation in every way. La Casa allowed me to learn about Palestinian governance, economics, religious life, culture, and so much more. I was able to make connections with many other organizations working in Hebron, and the myriad of countries represented by the international volunteers in Hebron allowed me to learn about many different countries around the world. If you are willing to immerse yourself in Palestinian culture La Casa is a great option.

Life in Hebron

I lived in Hebron, Palestine for two months this summer. While I was there, I volunteered with La Casa Learning Center teaching English. While there I experienced a beautiful culture, made life-long friends, and made memories that will stay with me forever. This may sound cheesy, but the truth is that this internship was one of the best experiences of my life. I encourage anyone that is looking for great friends, great experiences, and opportunities to flourish in Arabic to come work for La Casa Learning Center.

Excellent cultural experience

Taking part in a programme at La Casa is more than volunteering to teach English.
From the beginning, I was immersed in the daily life of regular Palestinian families. I was lucky enough to have the chance to experience living with families in both the new and the old town. The new town is vibrant, with nice shops and restaurants, whereas in the old town I loved walking through narrow cobble alleys, through and around beautiful, old, stone buildings.
Teaching English was rewarding and the students were eager to learn and to chat.
The best aspect of the programme, in my opinion, is the fact that there is enough free time for you to explore Hebron as well as other Palestinian towns, and you have the chance to learn about the culture and about what it is like to live under occupation. I visited Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Jericho on my free days, and I found that travel is safe and easy around Palestine. I felt safe at all times, even walking home in the dark. I found the Palestinians I met to be kind and helpful people.
I would definitely encourage anybody who is considering participating to a programme with La Casa to do it.

Wonderful!

It's been few weeks that I have came back to Taiwan and have been telling all my friends about the deep impression and all the things happened during my trip!

Words cannot express how I feel, but I do feel very grateful and fortunate to have been given this opportunity to work with the students and teachers there and understand the country and people a lot more!

My heart goes to all the wonderful people that is making this learning experience happening to these children. There students are so lovely, bright, optimistic and wonderful! I will never forget this trip in my life!!!

Teaching English

This program is truly remarkable. It was one of the few study abroad volunteer opportunities I could find that gave me an opportunity to truly see the Arab-Israeli conflict first hand. The opportunity fit perfectly with my studies in International Relations and I got to experience how both the Israelis and Palestinians lived here. The english class schedule is extremely flexible, which gives you ample amount of time to travel around the city and experience the culture. I was worried about the health and safety concerns but once I got here the concerns quickly dispersed. The people in Hebron are extremely friendly. Often times I will get invited to dinner or for tea just walking down the street. This is an amazing eye-opening experience.

Go to Palestine, not La Casa

I volunteered at La Casa for 1 month before deciding to explore Palestine instead. I planned to take Arabic courses while teaching, but I felt that I was being exploited by Administration, who takes a "fee" for facilitating your Arabic classes, finding your accommodations, as well as from the Palestinian students which I taught (on a volunteer basis). The students were very sweet and thankful for native speakers to teach them English, but the administration was neglectful and at times, downright dishonest. Hebron is a beautiful, conservative, misunderstood, occupied city in the West Bank. I encourage you to visit in a more ethical way, value your time, and avoid exploitation.

• La Casa Learning Center responded to this review October 01, 2015 at 3:54 PM

There is no "fee" for facilitating Arabic classes. We offer Arabic classes at a set cost which is told to each participant before they come. There are no hidden costs or fees associated with the program. All costs are provided in detail in initial correspondence. In fact, if you do not need us to find you housing and you do not wish to take Arabic, the program is free with zero fees.

We are not quite sure who wrote this or why, it may be a local competitor, but it is not logical given the program that we offer and the transparency of all fees. Interested individuals are able to contact past and present participants.

Please contact us for more information.