Kiya Survivors Header Image Kiya Survivors Header Image

Kiya Survivors - Volunteer with Children in Peru!

I've had the best time of my life volunteering for KS.

I could never have imagined how involved I would get, how much I would grow in myself and how I would embrace the Peruvian culture. I came out here without knowing any Spanish and never having travelled before so I was chronically anxious but for me, KS has done everything it can to reassure me, to help me and to ensure I could reach my full potential as a volunteer. I've loved every minute of my time at the Rainbow Centre, it's so alive and full of energy; I often go home completely inspired and in awe of what children can overcome. Going to the Rainbow House every week was an equally enjoyable and heart warming activity, the children are fantastic as are the house mums. It's hard to say what I've enjoyed the most because everything KS offers continues to take my breath away. It's been great having holidays as well because it gives you a chance to explore Peru and embrace the culture, learning new ideas and meeting new people. I've travelled all around Peru now and would not have changed any of my experiences for the world.

From volunteering I have learnt how important nonverbal communication is and that there should be no barriers to learning and communicating ideas just because one can't communicate with words. I came out here without knowing any Spanish so I found it very hard trying to speak to people but where there's a will there's a way. I have also learnt not to prejudge people just because their thoughts and ideas aren't the same as my own. To begin with I started judging the parents based on how their children looked when they were brought to school. I wondered how they could bring their children in dirty and in ripped clothes, however having heard the stories of parents and the poverty they have come from, I now make a conscious effort to learn about people and identify what I can do to help.

I found the organisation to be great, the Cusco weekend was organised very well as was my Machu Picchu trip.

Because I have a skill, that being psychology, I've found it easy to find things to do, to work with the psychologist and really feel I'm making a difference. I know from conversations with other volunteers that at times they have struggled to find things to do and projects to undertake. I'm sure there's lots of work volunteers could do for KS.

Incredible!

The only thing I would change is the length of my stay, I wish I could stay for longer. I have enjoyed every day and the different things I have been able to do. I feel like I have accomplished a lot and have left my mark on the place.

I have learnt that I love working with children and it has made me decide to pursue a career in teaching. I have learnt to get on with new people quickly and live happily in a group. However most importantly I have learnt how to handwash my own clothes.

My initial internal flight return was booked for the wrong date but it was all sorted quickly and efficiently. It would have been one to have the Cusco weekend earlier n the trip as it was a great bonding experience, but I understand it was done when it was in order to also include new volunteers that started later.

I had an amazing time volunteering for Kiya.

I genuinely loved working with the children and helping all the staff and teachers. I had a great time living in the volunteer house and meeting other volunteers and locals. I enjoyed and appreciated the Spanish lessons, which helped me to meet different people and so I built a social life there which added to my experience.

I have learnt that I am more independent than I first realised, that I am quite able and more than happy to travel and stay on my own and that I can organise myself well. It has given me greater perspective and made me (hopefully) more grateful and humble. After spending time with the kids it has made me appreciate all that I have myself and to be more open and caring.

The teams in England and in Peru were both excellent in preparing me for my trip and for giving me plenty of information.

I had a truly fantastic time working for Kiya and would love to be involved again in the future!!!! Thanks for all your help!