KIIS Study Abroad Header Image KIIS Study Abroad Header Image

KIIS Spring Semester in Regensburg, Germany

A fantastic opportunity for all students

My most memorable experience was going to Maidult. It is a beerfest in Regensburg that incorporates the overall German experience.

The ability and ease to travel to other destinations was also a great factor. I traveled by train all over Germany, to Austria and Czech Republic.
I took a roadtrip to Slovakia and Czech Republic, and took a cheap flight to Morocco.

I am a German major and it was a requirement to go abroad. I chose Regensburg because it was a long program and the price was great!

I lived in a student apartment 10 minutes from the school (walking). It was called "Vittusheim" and was within walking distance to two grocery store, and many bus stops.

There are 5 or 7 floors and two types of rooms. The lower floors have two rooms had joined together by a shared bathroom and kitchen. The upper floors had 5 bedrooms shared by a community kitchen and bathroom.

Unlike many American schools, each room had to possibility of a co-ed roommate. In my case, I shared a room with a guy despite the fact that I am a girl. There were, however, no problems with this.

There was also a bar room, and 75 cent beer vending machine.

Any maintenance was quickly done.

Mailboxes located inside the lobby.

(The KIIS program places the students in available apartments)

Great Program!

The Regensburg program is a fantastic opportunity for all students- whether german majors or just interested students. I completed this program with 6 other KY students who were both German study majors/minor or just interested in the culture.

The first appealing factor in the program was the price. It is drastically cheaper than many of the programs offered to go to Germany. My program lasted March-July with the opportunity to travel before and after the program. This price is fantastic for a program this long and covers the cost of living situation, student visas as well as tuition fees and a cell phone. With the tuition fees came a bus pass that allowed us to travel on any bus in the city for the length of the program- something that is vital to your Regensburg experience. Though airfare was not included in the price a bit of researching could help find extremely cheap flights.
The price also provided a small amount that would reimburse you for any museum, ticket, or traveling fees that you encountered (up to a certain amount...).

The second appeal of this trip was that it is located in Regensburg. A city that had escaped much of the war damage that other major cities were not fortunate enough to survive, the city offers a lot of historic and interesting landmarks that are easy to get to and tour. The city does not feel overcrowded and it is very easy to get around. Traveling options include a 1 train ride to Munich, 4 hours to Prague, 3 hours from Salzburg, and close access to many other beautiful German cities. There is also a Ryanair air company that offers very cheap trips to other countries located at an airport 1.5 hour away. Some examples are France, Italy, Denmark, Finland and even Morocco.

Academic wise, the university was very interesting. You go through 2 different "semesters" of classes. The first is "Sprachkurs" where you have a 6 week intensive language course. Your level is tested at the beginning of the program to determine which one you belong in. (It ranges from beginner to practically native..). This class was from 8-2 with a one hour break for lunch, and two 15 minute coffee breaks. After the 6 weeks, you are able to determine which classes you want to take. These range from film, language, theatre to culture classes with the option of taking some authentic university classes in fields like economics, law, linguistics, etc. Homework was scarce and if at all, took only 15 minutes to complete. In my experience I had only 2 presentation on topics of my choice with the option of a partner. These were very easy and lenient depending on your German level. Final exams were a little challenging, but the professors helped a lot with studying or any questions.

Immersing into the culture was a little bit of a challenge. Though the KIIS program offers a host parent to each of the participants, the amount of time that you spend with them depends on you. You have to make time to spend with them, as you do not live with them, and often times it can be challenging finding similar breaks in schedules. In my experience, my host family provided MANY things for me to do and I tried to make time to see them/attend events with them as much as I could.

As with the other german students- it was very difficult to immerse in the culture with them. Many of my german interactions were in my student apartments where I was the roommate to a german, or lived near germans. The classes that I took focused on learning about the German language and culture, so not many other German students were in them. There are, however, many other opportunities to meet Germans through sponsored trips from the International offices and by taking normal classes at the University in other fields of study.

There was, however, a lot of opportunity to learn about other cultures. In my program over 150 students from over 50 countries were in my classes, in my dorm and in sponsored trips within Europe. Examples of those countries were Finland, Australia, Brazil, China, Japan, Spain, France, Czech Republic, etc.

As for administration, there was a lot of paperwork to fill out, which made planning for the trip stressful. It, however, was definitely worth it.