KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image

Izizwe Township Projects Sports Coaching

I had a blast!

What an amazing organisation! Its so nice to meet all these new people and really contribute within the local community. Its so nice to see that within Khaya the project coordinators and volunteers are all locals from PE itself. For example my coordinator Samantha, she knows almost everyone in town and she nows al the best spots around town!

There are so many things that i loved about my experiences within the sports project, but i think i loved the brand new basketbal court the most! Right in the middle of the Walmer Township there is a beautiful and professional basketball court where the students from the secondary school next to it love to play. They are very serious about it and they also look very professional since one of the Khaya volunteers donated a bunch of basketball clothing for them. A true basketball team is rising here with a lot of talent, but they need good trainers! Please come and help out over here if you love Basketball!

Then the accomodation and location: Amazing! what more can i say.. The volunteer house is based from walking distance from the beach and popular bars/restaurants. Although PE has a reputation as an industrial city there's a lot to do here as well. You can party in Beerschack/White Tiger as if your in Europe or meet the local students (PE has an big university) in places like Gondwana on walking distance from the volunteer house. You can do daytrips like sandboarding, boat trips and even do a big 5 game drive safari within less than a hour drive away (Addo Elephant Park).

Within Khaya they also organize weekend trips every now and then and they even charge you way less then the travel company's around the area. If you're lucky the founder of Khaya himself takes you with him in his 4X4 and shows you all the beautiful spots!

I would recommend taking some spare time after your volunteering with Khaya as well, PE is the start of the amazing and world famous Garden-route roadtrip to Cape Town.

Thanks everyone from Khaya, I will definitely come back one day!!

Coaching sports in Walmer Township

Four weeks I had, four weeks to experience South Africa to the fullest and traveling the backpackers route only shows me so much of this vast and beautiful country. I decided therefore to find an affordable way of spending some more time in 1 location and doing something I love; sports and any outdoor activity.

If you compare the actual costs for volunteering it can be basically cheaper than sleeping in a dorm bed very night, cooking your own meals and finding your own way around so just from a financial point of view; volunteering at this project can be a cheap way of traveling and getting a unique experience.

I was welcomed warmly by one of the Khaya staff; Samantha. A lady with attitude, I immediately took a liking to her straightforwardness and willingness to help with all my questions. The house is quite a place; very large and close to the beach so I can only imagine how perfect it will be when the summer days are hot.

Working with Lise, Coach, Lungi, Florence and the other local volunteers from Izizwe Projects was awesome. I worked directly with all these locals and really felt this project is run by and for their community.

Helping with the Physical Training lessons at the 2 primary schools was great, exhausting at times as hundreds of kids are all eager to get busy and structure is challenging at times but that's where I felt I could contribute; to help prepare lessons and what activities we would do and I could see the improvement in the short time I was there.

I loved it; Walmer Township is an amazing place with so many friendly people, despite the poverty you see. I am thankful for this experience and hope to come visit again and I can recommend it to anyone interested in volunteering in South Africa.